Workstation dilemma

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Workstation dilemma

Post by gcoudert » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:12 pm

I am trying to save space in my tiny home studio and am considering replacing my mint Roland Jupiter 50 and my CME UF8 controller keyboard with a single 88 weighted keys (essential) second-hand workstation without spending any cash at all if possible. It is not just a sound source I am after and I hate software.

I have looked at demos of the Yamaha Motif and Korg Triton but I'm not mad about the sounds. I have also looked at demos of the Roland Fantom X8, which is more to my liking feature-wise but the large majority of the demos focus on the piano and bread-and-butter sounds and do not really show what the synth engine can do. I don't program sounds much nowadays and tend just to modify presets so I need something versatile to start from.

Has anybody had any experience with the Fantom X8? Is there another workstation I should consider?

Thanks.
GC

ravenmek

Re: Workstation dilemma

Post by ravenmek » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:23 pm

A korg kronos X. Best synth engine on a workstation

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:47 pm

ravenmek wrote:A korg kronos X. Best synth engine on a workstation
Sounds good but way out of my £800 - £1,000 budget.
GC

ellaguru
Gear: juno106 korg ms20 roland vsynth yamaha an200 yamaha tx81z boss sp303 boss sp505 roland sp606 roland mc909 zoom st224

Post by ellaguru » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:00 pm

maybe this could interests you someway
http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... 19&t=76079

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:12 pm

I've had 2 Roland Fantom X6s (same sound engine as X8) since 2007 and totally dig them. The stock sounds are pretty decent and I have Ultimate Keys expansion boards in both which add additional synth sounds. There are 4 knobs just to the left of the screen that, among other things) allow you to instantly change filter cutoff, resonance and attack and release of amp envelope.

I haven't done any hard core programming since it does require menu diving and mostly tweak preset sounds. I have dug into programming, which isn't too difficult, but never made anything I wanted to save.

I can make a demo video of the Fantom X sounds, just need to know what sounds you are interested in hearing.

I use the X6's arpeggiator a lot both for internal sounds and external MIDI synths. The Fantom X series also has external audio input which you can use to process other gear with the Fantom's multi effects processor and you can even record up to 8 stereo audio tracks in conjunction with its 16 track MIDI sequencer (can sequence both internal sounds and external MIDI gear).
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:49 pm

How about the Roland FA-08? Might fit your néeds perfectly

glassofwater

Post by glassofwater » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:37 am

Z wrote:I've had 2 Roland Fantom X6s (same sound engine as X8) since 2007 and totally dig them. The stock sounds are pretty decent and I have Ultimate Keys expansion boards in both which add additional synth sounds. There are 4 knobs just to the left of the screen that, among other things) allow you to instantly change filter cutoff, resonance and attack and release of amp envelope.

I haven't done any hard core programming since it does require menu diving and mostly tweak preset sounds. I have dug into programming, which isn't too difficult, but never made anything I wanted to save.

I can make a demo video of the Fantom X sounds, just need to know what sounds you are interested in hearing.

I use the X6's arpeggiator a lot both for internal sounds and external MIDI synths. The Fantom X series also has external audio input which you can use to process other gear with the Fantom's multi effects processor and you can even record up to 8 stereo audio tracks in conjunction with its 16 track MIDI sequencer (can sequence both internal sounds and external MIDI gear).
Why do you need 2 of them?

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:13 am

glassofwater wrote:
Z wrote:I've had 2 Roland Fantom X6s (same sound engine as X8) since 2007 and totally dig them..
Why do you need 2 of them?
I have one at home and one at my furniture shop.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Post by _seph » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:52 am

I'm not a workstation guy but I have experience with most and the Fantoms are probably my favorite, they sound great and always felt the most intuitive. although if you'd like a runner up perhaps check out Korg's M3 as it is much nicer than the Triton and can be expanded with the Radias.

another option is the Alesis Fusion although this one I've never touched but being more of a synth by having a VA and physical modeling engine, it is the only one I've been tempted to pick up.

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by gcoudert » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:22 am

Hugo76 wrote:How about the Roland FA-08? Might fit your néeds perfectly
I have just watched a few demos. It's not bad either. I will get hold of the manual and check out all of its features.
Last edited by gcoudert on Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
GC

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by gcoudert » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:23 am

_seph wrote:perhaps check out Korg's M3.
I'll have a look at that one too; thanks!
GC

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by gcoudert » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:35 am

Z wrote:I can make a demo video of the Fantom X sounds, just need to know what sounds you are interested in hearing.
If you can spare the time and effort, yes please! I would like to hear pads (other than strings and synth strings), synth bass, synth leads, pulsating patches, arpeggios, etc. How easy is it to create your own arpeggio patterns on the Fantoms? On the JP50, I have to create a sequence in Cubase, save it as a MIDI type 0 file and transfer it to the JP via a USB flash drive (memory pen).

Another question (I have yet to look at that section of the manual): is it possible to create and save drum patterns using drum samples and the sequencer via the drum pads? If so, would the Fantom be a suitable replacement for my ageing Roland R8?

Thanks!
GC