Modulus 002 --- new synth from UK

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Re: Modulus 002 --- new synth from UK

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:13 pm

mantrak wrote:Sure, I agree that controlled wackiness is better than wackiness without control. That is why I miss voice detune in modern hybrid synths (like my Prophet 12).

If you change V/Oct you can get some very strange scales but that is just a special case. And it is still precisely EQUALLY tempered, just not 12 notes per octave. I would like to stay near regular 12 tones, nothing too exotic.

What I would want to have is controllable voice detune (pre note or per voice, not per oscillator). I have seen that as a simple knob in Arturia Jupiter 8 (VST). Would want more control, but that is the right starting point.
The Alesis Ion is the only VA that I know of that allows proper "analog-style" intra-oscillator voice detuning, i.e., the oscillators within each voice are detuned some set amount, not the voices themselves. These gives a really nice Oberheim-esque sound. Like you say, just randomly detuning each voice isn't enough.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:13 pm

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:16 pm

That's nice, but I still can't afford one :?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:36 pm

The OP-X softsynth also has individual voice detuning, it's a pretty neat feature that emulates how real VCO synths detune, not just random pitch change for each key press.

mantrak
Gear: Minimoog D, Moog Sub 37, Voyager RME, Arp Odyssey MK2, Arp Axxe, Prophet 12, Arturia Minibrute, Roland Juno 106, Korg Polysix...

Post by mantrak » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:41 am

Oh, finally someone understands. Thanx guys! For me it is amazing how few people from the synthesizer scene realize the importance of detuning. People crave for that "magic analog vintage sound". Where is the magic? My theory is that 75% of the magic is detuning. The irony is, once you have this kind of control and precision over oscialltors (like my P12) it would be very easy to add several detuning schemes. P12 is ideal machine for detuning, all that is needed is a software update. I am afraid it is not going to happen and Dave Smith will lose huge opportuinty to "discover" detuning magic. Can Modulus beat analog "perfection" using digital "imperfection"?

Little Gorilla

Post by Little Gorilla » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:03 pm

Has that update for the Animator feature arrived yet, please? Still no manual?

AlanC3

Post by AlanC3 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:13 am

The animator update came out about a week ago. Basically, it's just like the sequencer minus the gate length and velocity rows since those wouldn't make any sense. So you have 12 rows that can control any of the voice parameters, it's triggered when you play a key and it runs at the current tempo. At the moment it's not complete: 1) it takes control of the parameters rather than adjusting them relative to their initial values, 2) the storage isn't linked to the patch and 3) unless I've missed something obvious, it steps the parameters rather than slewing them like an envelope generator.

There is a manual now, but it's a work in progress covering just those features that have been implemented.

The main things that are missing at the moment are the multitimbral mode, the ability to assign parameters to the joystick, the "snapshot" / edit buffer, and the cloud functionality. There's also a couple of missing modulation routings and some stuff such as the velocity and aftertouch response that needs to be optimised.

Edit: I should have said that the animator is fully polyphonic - each note you play runs independently.

Little Gorilla

Post by Little Gorilla » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:22 am

Thanks Alan. I hope that joystick matter is fixed soon.

Little Gorilla

Post by Little Gorilla » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:45 pm

Another point - a couple of weeks ago there was this post on the Gearslutz Modulus thread:-

"From a neighbor who bought it few weeks ago: when modulus is used as a module (midi controlled) he has major issues (heavy latency and weird behavior). Sound seems good although but software is not mature in this midi set up. Hope it helps (second hand opinion)"

Well, there's been an update - maybe more than one - since then so I was wondering if this business of working under MIDI control is still an issue. Strangely similar to the problems some people have been having using the Solaris in similar circumstances. (MIDI buffer too small apparently, or something like that). I know that both the Solaris and the Modulus might reasonably considered as instruments for people who are going to play them, rather than have them under MIDI control but I find that surprising anyway.

So, if anyone feels able to answer this point I would grateful and interested.

Thanks.

AlanC3

Post by AlanC3 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:54 am

I haven't done any recording with mine since the update (I'm up to my eyeballs in work) so I can't comment on whether the MIDI implementation has improved.

A quick look at some recordings I'd done previously where the 002 was being driven from Logic via a Roland Quad Capture suggest that the total latency for that setup was around 6 milliseconds, and was consistent.

There was definitely some very weird MIDI behaviour in the previous release, mostly associated with the standard controllers not being correctly mapped. This was most likely down to the fact the controller routings haven't been implemented yet.

Just to get one thing absolutely straight: the 002 isn't complete yet. Modulus have been quite open and clear about that, hence the Sonic State "Progress" video. So if you're thinking of buying one please bear that in mind.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:13 am

Dammit, we're getting used to buying into beta versions of video games, but buying a beta version of a synthesizer for $4000? no f-ing way.

Little Gorilla

Post by Little Gorilla » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:43 am

Thanks for taking the time to do that Alan, doesn't sound too shabby to me.

In answer to both points - It would be nice for things to be done when the items go on sale, speaking generally, but...in practical terms it's the wasting time trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong and then, eventually, finding out that it never did work that really makes me spit. The Spectralis being a very serious offender. It can do so much but sessions would be so much more productive if there was a database on the manufacturers site where you could have a quick look at a feature you're about to explore and it would say "doesn't work" and you could focus your efforts elsewhere. The lack of such a resource, combined with the atrocious manual, has led to me wasting an awful ot of time on a machine which, despite myself, I still rather like. ( Might be easier if I spoke German, to be fair. The English manual is...tricky.)

I completely understand that the 002 is not there yet and that no-one is trying to hide anything. Although the progress video does seem to be about what they've done without any mention of the advertised features that aren't quite there yet! Perhaps there aren't any by now...

AlanC3

Post by AlanC3 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:31 am

Bitexion wrote:Dammit, we're getting used to buying into beta versions of video games, but buying a beta version of a synthesizer for $4000? no f-ing way.
Please don't take this personally, but...

This sort of reaction is why I'm reluctant to talk about the current status of the synth. Modulus are a new company, the 002 is their first product, that it was still being developed was made very clear to me before I bought, and since that time they have been issuing regular updates that are steadily bringing it up to being fully featured.

I talked a bit about who the guys behind Modulus are on the Gearslutz thread; suffice it to say that I'm confident they can and will achieve what they've set out to do.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:54 pm

Alan,

Just curious about whether or not you are a professional user and have you been able to use the Modulus either live or in the studio in it's current state.

Disclaimer: I am not in the market for one.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Little Gorilla

Post by Little Gorilla » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:10 am

You know, it would be handy to know if there's any way to bring the focus to a particular control without actually changing the value of that control. Meaning...suppose I want to know what the cut-off is set at. It's no good looking at the knob as it's an endless encoder, so I'd have to look at the screen. But, the screen doesn't show the cut-off value until the cut-off control is actually moved, at which point the screen updates and shows the cut-off value, amongst other things. That's what seemed to be happening on the video. But suppose you didn't want to move the control - how could you get the screen to show the cut-off value in those circumstances.

On the Waldorf Q there is a button which allows you to move a control, at which point the screen updates to show the value which that control is presently set at BUT the values don't actually change as you move the control. The ONLY thing that happens is the screen now shows that specific control.

Phew - what a mouthful!! Hope it's clear what I'm talking about.

Can anyone answer that one please?