ARTURIA MICROBRUTE

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
SUBTRACTIVE NOBODY

ARTURIA MICROBRUTE

Post by SUBTRACTIVE NOBODY » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:26 pm

Hey VSE and forum-ers,

I've been curious- is it too soon to add the Arturia Microbrute to the site? It's not been out even a year, but the Minibrute is on here and it is very much the same synthesizer but with a few tweaks... I own one and there is no question imho that it deserves a place in VSE world. Thoughts?

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Re: ARTURIA MICROBRUTE

Post by Kenneth » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:59 pm

I'm working on a review for the Microbrute that I will submit to the site upon completion.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

SUBTRACTIVE NOBODY

Post by SUBTRACTIVE NOBODY » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:40 pm

@Kenneth

Right On!

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:42 pm

Hello, all.

I have had my ARTURIA Microbrute for a month now. Very solid piece of kit both in quality of build and power of sound.

The oscillator is enormous and diverse and the ability to mix waveforms allows for a baker's recipe approach to root sound creation. The filter is not unlike a KORG MS to my ears, yet can produce a MOOG creaminess at certain specific settings. The LFO is excellent and can be used for noise to create rhythm effects (sample and make beats ad infinitum). Connectivity and control is vast and sharp. The octave buttons and pitch and mod wheels are solid and located just right for someone who wants to get shifty with pitch, mod, and octave during improv.

The shortcomings of this synth are few. Power cable is a bit bulky and flimsy in feel although not in actual use. There is no dedicated latch button for the sequencer. The lack of an arpeggiator is actually felt as I am so used to arpeggiating a chord, latching it, and then taking off for an infinite session of filtering.

For someone who missed the ROLAND SH-101 or YAMAHA CS-01 (including the handsome gray design) first time around, this synth fills that slot in the pocket with added connectivity and semimodular sonic potential. The Microbrute is a great addition to any keysynth or modular assemblage in my opinion.

4.8 out of 5 stars!

:)

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:31 am

I got this yesterday...and I am utterly confused.....
Nothing I program seems to be working as it should.

I read the SOS review and it seems the standard architecture has been ...taken to liberty so the knob positions are very exacting...I need to break out the manual and learn the system Arturia has going here....

So far, I made an Incredible deep base sound- that after 2 seconds turns into a nasal-ly lead sound that's higher in pitch...I have no idea why she's doing this to me.....

Going to dive in over the weekend and figure this little beastie out. :evil:
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:27 pm

griffin avid wrote: So far, I made an Incredible deep base sound- that after 2 seconds turns into a nasal-ly lead sound that's higher in pitch...I have no idea why she's doing this to me.....
If your incredible deep bass sound involves high resonance, are you hearing self oscillation changing with the contour of a filter modulation source? Try turning the resonance down (if it's up) to see if that changes the nature of the sound.

Otherwise, what are the possible modulation sources that can affect the oscillator? If it doesn't go back down in pitch, I might suspect an envelope first. Try adjusting the envelope amount to see if that changes the behavior of the pitch modulation, and if not try the LFO amount.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:30 am

Thank you for your help. That was indeed my first guess but sliding the envelope fader or hitting the envelope switch did nothing. It could be keyboard tracking or some such 'past 12 o'clock' setting. I can't be bothered right now to wrap my head around such a small interface with obviously much more tweak-ability than I first figured. lol

I'll dive in over the weekend.
Thanks again.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com