DW8000 Arpeggiator question AND open dialog on modding?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
thecolorgold
Gear: DW-8000 CZ-1 ARP Pro/DGX Tg500 LittleBoyBlue TR-626 RX120 MPC 2000XL dd-20 SPX90 MX200
A & H CMC24
Etc...

DW8000 Arpeggiator question AND open dialog on modding?

Post by thecolorgold » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:35 pm

I've been using the same DW8000 for years as a real workhorse and I'll admit its time for some routine maintenance, but I continue to be miffed about one thing. Why have I always been unable to get the appreciator to sync with midi? I operated it as per the manual, notta. I tried it with midi time coming from a computer, then an MPC, then drum machines, notta. So whats the deal? is it a phantom feature that is in the manual, and appears to be on its operating system but is not actually possible? is it related to the other occasional midi glitches I encounter with the unit? (sometimes it hangs up on a note at fast ((+200bpm)) tempos) Is there a hardware or software fix?

Any ideas?

Past that. I was thinking of replacing the DW with an ex-8000 for live use, and relegating the keyboard to the studio, as well as modding the living h**l out of it. I know there is a fairly simple AUX in mod. Have people done that with success? Next question: upon reviewing the service documentation, I see there is room to add some dedicated analog pots for resonance and cutoff controls to the filter. Has anyone done this? Taking that even further; the filter is polyphonic, is it realistic to think of adding individual controls for each of the 8 voices?

Oh, and if someone could wave a magic wand and get the MG (LFO) to sync with midi well we are at it, that would be great.

Thoughts?

Nistegmos
Gear: Alesis M1 Active 320 USB Monitors/Interface; Alesis Q49 USB MIDI Controller; Reaper; FL Studio; Harmor; Vember Surge; Toxic Biohazard; freewares.
Band: Nystagmus

Re: DW8000 Arpeggiator question AND open dialog on modding?

Post by Nistegmos » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:51 pm

Sorry, I don't know anything about the arpeggiation.

Several years ago I had a KORG DW-8000 and I successfully modified some of it. But the only mod i did to it was to transpose the normal pitch down an octave or two.

I did this by splicing a variable resister fader (it was actually a certain type of DJ crossfader) into the pitch bender. It worked well because the fader didn't have any kind of springing action nor detente. It just stayed wherever I put it. And since it was independent of the normal pitch bending components, they still worked.

Unfortunately, it was so many years ago and I no longer own the synth, that I couldn't give you any more precise details about the project.

I did also used to own a KORG Poly 61, and that I was able to bypass the filter on, also by splicing a switch into the mod wheel, but that's because on that synth the up and down motion of the mod wheel controls filtration. I don't think the DW-8000 is like that, but I don't remember completely to be honest.

Either way, good luck.

FX23

Post by FX23 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:30 pm

set clock timing to ext.

thecolorgold
Gear: DW-8000 CZ-1 ARP Pro/DGX Tg500 LittleBoyBlue TR-626 RX120 MPC 2000XL dd-20 SPX90 MX200
A & H CMC24
Etc...

Post by thecolorgold » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:35 am

Re: ext clock

I have tried doing everything as stated in the manual, so I'm not making that easy mistake... To clarify the problem though. The appegiator does and has always worked in the first three internal clock settings. I've just never been able to get it to trigger when using any of the external clock settings from an external time source, With external note data, or from the keyboard. It is Something that has always seemed a silly bug, but has never really bothered me that much. I just curious if anyone has any experience with the same problem.

Re: modding.

The idea of an extra realtime wide range pitch control is interesting. I'm definitely going to investigate the schematics on this one futher.

Super cool idea!

FX23

Post by FX23 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:51 am

I've had a dw8000 for over 25 years i can confirm it works! make sure you are sending a midi clock signal to it!

40 Thieves
Gear: Jupiter 6 Europa, Kawai SX240 Tauntek, DX7iiFD E!, PolyEvolver, Kawai K3, MV8000, DX7 SuperMax+, Fizmo, Microwave XT, Moog Source Midi, DW8000, SQ80.
Band: 40 Thieves

Post by 40 Thieves » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:44 am

I know this is an old topic but I came across it having the same problem. I ended up figuring it out at least for my set up. Hopefully what I say here may help someone some day. I have a Roland MV-8000 that has worked with every other synth I have and clocking it's arpeggiator with the BPM I am using in my sequence. As this topic suggests, I hooked up my newly purchased DW-8000 ready to mess with the arpeggiator on some beats and got nothing as others have said on the internet. I also found someone saying that the DW-8000 has it's external arp clock set to receive Global MIDI Channel, whatever that means. My MV-8000 seems to not have a Global, OMNI, or All MIDI channel setting. So, I tried using my DSI PolyEvolver's built-in sequencer since it has an All MIDI channels setting. It did not work with just the PolyEvolver but when I tried having the MV-8000 be the Master controlling the PolyEvolver's sequencer's Start, Stop, and BPM Clock, then having the PolyEvolver's BPM Clock set to MIDI IN/OUT going into the Korg, the arpeggiator finally worked.

I guess I had to somewhat "Jump Start" the DW-8000's arpeggiator because it then started working with just using MIDI IN from my Roland MV-8000 after unchaining it from both sequencers. I know that the DW-8000's arpeggiator in the manual says that it needs to receive Start, Stop, and MIDI Clock messages for it to work. I think if you just try to chain more and more sequencers together and then have them running into the Korg, the arpeggiator will finally receive all the messages it needs and start working with your set up. Also, you have to be holding a note down first before you press Start on your sequencer for it to sound. The arpeggiator will only work when your sequencer is playing, recording, or looping. Basically it won't function if there's no movement and if you didn't first hold a note before pressing play. I would also recommend you check the Firmware version on your DW-8000 by holding the Numbers 1 and 2 upon power up, it will show in the furthest right numeric LED display. The latest Firmware as of this post is version 13 and it is supposed to have better MIDI communication and fix the stuck note issue that happens intermittently.

I also read online that the AUM audio mixer app for Apple devices will run the arpeggiator if you dive into the menus and mess with all the settings to whatever the Korg wants for it to work.

Good luck to anyone else out there having this issue!