Would you have different synths without internet ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
KBD_TRACKER

Would you have different synths without internet ?

Post by KBD_TRACKER » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:29 am

Ideally this is addressed to the "older" set of VSE posters, that is people who can compare before vs after internet. (but younger people are welcome :) ).

I was wondering what role has internet in your gear acquisition decisions .

For example would you have chosen the same gear without music gear forums, "professional" and/or "users" youtube reviews, etc. etc. ???

In the old days besides (rare and often belated) specialized paper-magazines articles, the main avenue to evaluate a synth or piece of gear was to actually try it in store, or when possible, through the opinion of a trusted friend who did buy or try the gear, or else listen to a band using that gear.

Not so much anymore, we now quite often rely on strangers to tell us about the desirability of a synth or other gear, and this actually might lead us to purchase it without having ever touched a single knob ...

On the other hand internet has made very easy and very fast to resell a synth if disappointing. And I suspect that pre-internet times musicians probably were more likely to stick with and get the most of a piece of gear. (In that sense buying a synth was more like marriage was, before divorce got easier and easier).
Also to complicate things, internet has contributed to both the increasing rarity of brick-mortar music stores and the appearance of online sale boutique-synth outfits.

But for those who can compare (ie the older crowd, but also anybody else interested in this, 8-) ) I was wondering if internet-related media have allowed you to get "better", or more satisfying, or just different gear (if that, in what sense ?) than you used to in pre-internet times.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Re: Would you have different synths without internet ?

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:44 am

I know for a fact I'd have far, far fewer synths if I didn't discover VSE :lol:

In fact probably different ones too, I used to only like modern gear. How things change haha

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:59 am

I'll rephrase your question. Would I have different synths without VSE? Y'all have cost me a lot of money over the last 8 years :lol: But seriously, if not for this site, my knowledge of synthesis and the sheer number of synths out there would be lacking.
You can't synthesize love

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:16 pm

I'd have less I have to be honest. I've had around 50+ by now

I had a handful of synths before I had the net (Juno 6, TG-500 - nothing special) then once I discovered VSE I had to try out all the synths that caught my eye (many I knew from my childhood in the 80s/early 90s but obviously couldn't afford new or as a kid) and it's been a pleasure! I don't like to horde so have sold the vast majority but through that process I've written songs because of synths I've owned (so am thankful to them) and have learned what I really enjoy in a synth (my keepers).

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:29 pm

Yes . No internet would equal no eBay and the insane inflation of prices for many used synths would not be a hindrance to my gear lust .... As that was there long before I even had dial up :lol:
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:02 pm

VSE was POISON when I "discovered" vintage synths. I wanted one of everything, and bought way more c**p than I'd ever need. Which lead to an apartment stuffed with keyboards that never got used.

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:12 pm

I'd only have a Korg Kaossilator, because I saw it tried out in a local tv show 5 years ago. Otherwise, I don't think I would have bought one single synth, because there were none in my environment, and I wasn't looking for it as a hobby: I'm mostly a book collector from the heart.

But I've been dreaming for years before that to get a Jupiter 8, solely to put on a wall as a display. The difference today is that I now know I can't afford one (but if I ever could I'd play with it).
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:14 pm

Hard to tell. Because internet becoming mainstream went nearly hand in hand with the rise of software synths, which more or less pulled the plug for any more hardware for me.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:55 pm

I kind of discovered synthesis through the tons of pirated VST synths I downloaded from torrent sites.
Then I found VSE, and wanted hardware versions of all the ones I had as emulations, like the Minimoog, Prophet5, Jupiter8, CS80 etc, none of which I could afford..and it went all downhill from there :D

bluntedcircuit
Gear: machinedrum, mpc1000, blofeld, maschine, kp3, esq1, ms20, ableton

Post by bluntedcircuit » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:00 pm

I definitely wouldn't have my esq, and it's hard to say if id still be into music all these years later as I am definitely one of those people who learned what's what with freeware/torrents as a teenager.

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:13 pm

I would definitely have less synths, but probably cooler and cheaper that the ones I own.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:57 pm

I started with the idea to collect the gear listed on the back of a spice lab album, naively thinking this old stuff would probably be cheap and outdated by now. Boy was I wrong! Without the internet, who's to say a pawn shop wouldn't have had some of the stuff I would have been looking for, and maybe they would have been naive themselves about the value! I think I would probably have fewer collectable pieces, although some of them came via local connections... I think I most likely still would have the s2000 though! :lol:
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:45 pm

Well the "internet" actually goes back to the 70s. I was buying gear on rec.music.makers.synth and the Compuserve MIDI forum in the late 80s. If you mean pre-WWW yeah I'd probably have less but then again the pawn shops and used music gear stores I used to get stuff from would still exist and have a lot more gear...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

Virgule

Post by Virgule » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:23 pm

I knew about Hyperreal in the mid 90s but VSE was one the first website that actually helped putting a face and name to synths I was looking for around '96.

It definately helped as I knew nothing about those products, having no keyboard-orientated friends, at all.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:01 am

I actually have 3 different ways to answer this:
  1. In 1996, I had a very basic home studio setup in my dorm at Hurlburt Field Air Force Base. I had made a few songs and was very enthusiastic about making music. I even had one analog synth, the Akai AX60, bought from the same music store I got everything else from.
    Then on late shifts at the squadron office, I started browsing the Hyperreal Music Machines site and learning about synths from the Analogue Heaven mailing list. 2 months later, I'd bought a Oberheim OBXa off of the Harmony Central For Sale Ads board. So I was victimized by GAS before I even had a PC in my own dorm room and now had a synth I never had even thought about getting before.
  2. Continuing from #1, once I did get my own PC and an internet connection less than a year later, it became so much of a distraction that I practically stopped making tunes altogether. This led to getting a Kurzweil K2vx to try and make up for lost time, and I was also playing in a band, but my own personal musical output has never been as frequent since.
  3. Because of Youtube and coincidentally this forum, I discovered Brandon(Z on VSE) lived only a short distance from my house, and I got to finally try out many of the synths I'd dreamed of playing for years. Based on that, I've been able to make better decisions about what synths to buy or even still dream about.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.