Which Hardware Sequencer for full songs?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ChuckFalcon
Gear: Roland Promars MRS-2
Vox Continental
Mellotron M4000D
Roland Juno 60
Moog Theremini
Roland Juno 106
Akai MPC 1000
Band: Chuck Falcon

Which Hardware Sequencer for full songs?

Post by ChuckFalcon » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:02 am

Hi everyone! I am looking for a hardware sequencer (preferably rack mountable) that controls synth and drum machines via midi and also records midi. I need it to be able to record full songs and play out live. I need it to be able to record live midi in real time as well as a step sequencer. Does such a thing exist? I don't need a lot of effect and bells and whistles. However, I do need it to be able to have enough memory to play a set.

I can already do this with my current set up and use my Akai MPC 1000 as my sequencer. However the buttons are kinda shotty, I don't really use the 16 launch pads for anything, or the sampling and basically just use it to sequence.

I know such a thing probably exists on a computer program but I am a hardware guy.

Sorry for being a noob but I have looked and looked and I can't seem to find what I am looking for.

Any help please?

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Which Hardware Sequencer for full songs?

Post by Hugo76 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:12 am

How about a Yamaha rm1x? Pretty capable and very cheap nowadays

corndogssg
Gear: v synth,little phatty2,jx10,kiwi106 jx305, jv2080x's8,k2600,ion,microQ,blofeld,evolver,tetra,x station,ultra nova,bass station2, jd990,minibrute
Band: sesame street gangsters

Post by corndogssg » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:59 am

believe it or not but the roland jx 305 groovesynth with it's part mute's (7 parts for diff tracks and 8 for diff drum parts) makes for a pretty dope hardware sequencer. with one 4mb card, yes that is the biggest it takes, you can easily hold enough songs for a full album or two worth a material. I got down tight on that synth and it was my baby until i realized the power of a proper daw but still in 2014 i can play a whole show with just my jx305. and for the money they are pretty cheap nowadays. i am not sure what the keyless one is called but it's one of the earlier roland groove boxes.

i used it to make up hip hop,rap, dance, trance and everything in between. a great synth all around! and with the ability to save your patterns one after another and being able to press a button to bring in and out parts of your beat live it makes for a pretty dam good live synth. plus it works great with midi. i used to sync up mine to a jp8000 and yamaha motif before the tweakers broke in and stole all my s**t :( ahhh tweakers. the plauge of music lovers hard earned gear, anyone who has had their beloved music gear ripped off knows the feeling, it is terrible! even with renters insurance it still sucked. but blah blach, we all know TWEAKERS SUCK!!!

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:47 pm

There are no currently made standalone sequencers that will do what you want.

When you write "live MIDI" do you mean overdubbing and looping in a live situation while the sequencer is running? If so you probably want to look into used grooveboxes (including other MPCs).
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:55 pm

If you can live with just rack mount SMF playback there are a couple of options: yamaha CS-6r, some Roland commercial/contractor playback units [AR series] come to mind off the top of my head. I think some of the Roland units will also record. But, no step sequencing. There doesn't seem to be many options in this area.

If you give up the rack mount requirement, there are tons of options available.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:27 am

Looked at Sequentix Cirklon maybe

Not sure how available they are though.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:37 am

Emu Command Station.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

ChuckFalcon
Vox Continental
Mellotron M4000D
Roland Juno 60
Moog Theremini
Roland Juno 106
Akai MPC 1000

Post by ChuckFalcon » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:04 pm

Hey everyone, thanks for all of the replies. By recording live midi, I don't mean record live at the show. I mean like, record a performance with your hands and synth/drum machine even with the little "humanistic" mess ups. Not just punch in the exact right thing through the step/grid method. I just like both.

Whenever you guys gimmie suggestions I go straight to youtube and check 'em out so thanks for all the suggestions. Keep'em rollin' :)

ChuckFalcon
Vox Continental
Mellotron M4000D
Roland Juno 60
Moog Theremini
Roland Juno 106
Akai MPC 1000

Post by ChuckFalcon » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:06 pm

what is the term for recording midi/sequencing midi when it is not initially recorded on "the grid" method? I wanna be able to talk like I'm educated for the future, ha.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:28 pm

ChuckFalcon wrote:what is the term for recording midi/sequencing midi when it is not initially recorded on "the grid" method?
Real time recording.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

bluntedcircuit
Gear: machinedrum, mpc1000, blofeld, maschine, kp3, esq1, ms20, ableton

Post by bluntedcircuit » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:51 am

I'd personally stick with the mpc1000, those buttons can get shitty but they're pretty easy/cheap to replace.
Maybe a korg m3 module would be more appealing? It definitely has a better screen

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:06 am

Oh my God, people have forgotten about realtime sequencing.

I am swinging my cane at you.

AKAI GODDAMNED ASQ10
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:05 am

Not much by way of rack mounted sequencers, although the EMU ultra line of samplers have sequencers that you could use. Otherwise:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/sequencers.php

...Doesn't the mpc1000 do real time midi sequencing?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Hallu

Post by Hallu » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:44 pm

That is great that you're a "hardware guy", but if you want to be great at what you do maybe you should start being a "best tool for the job guy."

As others have said, what you want only exists in software. Look into a decent MIDI controller to assist in working whatever program you find.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:08 am

:lol: that last post.

Someone already mentioned the RM1X :fist bump:

RS7000 also fits in a rack supposedly quite nicely, but I don't think I could bring myself to screw ears in to it as it may fit perfectly in to a seven or eight slots, it is not really meant to be put in one and would have to be adapted some what not to ruin the plastic case but I've heard of it being done. ::double fist bump::

Maybe a QY70/100 ..Sideways fist bump..

If you've got some $$$ and lots of time to figure it out, a Radikal Tech Spectralis comes with rack ears and can be mounted, but also seems kind of wasteful. The wood sides are probably 2/3rds the cost of it. Only kidding, but the wood sides do make it prettier than sitting in a plastic rack case. :::triple fist bump:::

Seems like there'd be a plethora of rack versions of workstation keyboards out there that could do it too, but maybe not and I don't feel like looking them all up to be sure.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]