Synth Spa- Haven't seen my 106 in almost a year...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Re: Synth Spa- Haven't seen my 106 in almost a year...

Post by 8bit9bot » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:34 am

i just wrote about this very topic... not the same repair shop but... check this out for perspective: http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =1&t=76595

sol-bass-rec
Gear: Juno 106
Mophox4, MG-1, BS2
Ensoniq Fizmo
Yamaha CS6X AN1X AN200 DX200 RX11
Roland TR-808 & R8
Aira: System 1 TR-8 TB-3 VT-3
Acidlab Miami
Band: Bass Records, Suite 16, Meg Li

Post by sol-bass-rec » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:36 am

WOW!

I was actually told my Juno 106 would be 3-4 months not too long ago, like recently last 30 days.
Also spoke about a Monopoly, he told me 6 months....

Allen also sent a Work Order Invoice through Paypal.
Do you have a receipt? Anybody going to Nashville soon?

Don't believe he's a scam. I do believe these specialty techs should network and pass work along where they can.

Did the poster go full Europa Mod?

Mine is still here next to me...

So who has time to clean my 808 and 106????????
"Music is the drug"

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:38 am

I'll repeat was I've said in other forum topics on this guy - any tech that makes you pay for repairs up front is a scam. This is not standard practice.
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

philip

Post by philip » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:04 am

Almost a year?))Lol. My tech wouldn't dream of this

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:04 am

I can kind of see this from both sides (well, ok mostly the customer side but hey).

On one hand it's not cool to deprive somebody of their precious instrument for an undue amount of time; if you can't handle the workload admit it, make amends and learn the lesson (this extends FAR beyond the synth world may I add). On the other hand, all too often have my own repair attempts turned into brain-sapping slogfests, even on models I think I know reasonably well/aren't that complicated (okay, this probably reflects on my own hubris abilities but I'm obviously not the only one).

So yeah, pontificating aside, they only real trinkets of advice I can offer is: a) try to actually talk to the guy as has been mentioned, b) if it's been ages and you're really fed up just get the thing back repaired or not. I know, I know, easier said than done and you don't want to look like a d**k but when things are as bad as the OP describes, you're probably doing the guy a favour.

And yeah, be sceptical of up-front costs.

sol-bass-rec
Gear: Juno 106
Mophox4, MG-1, BS2
Ensoniq Fizmo
Yamaha CS6X AN1X AN200 DX200 RX11
Roland TR-808 & R8
Aira: System 1 TR-8 TB-3 VT-3
Acidlab Miami
Band: Bass Records, Suite 16, Meg Li

Post by sol-bass-rec » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:50 pm

Anybody have a recent good review or quick turn around?

Glad my 808 and 106 and in my possession still.

Now, where else can I go? I'm in NC
"Music is the drug"

Rob @ Rosen Inc
Gear: Oberheim OB8, Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 Rev 2 & 3, Pro-One, Moog Minimoog, Yamaha CS-80 & E-70, Korg Kronos

Post by Rob @ Rosen Inc » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:27 am

Okay, hate to resurrect an old thread here... but I am a synth tech and shop owner here in Burbank California and I am seriously curious as to how anyone is putting up with this type of business ethic without actually going to the legal extremities? Has there been any update? I am incredibly baffled.
Forgive me for my synths.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:22 am

And why do people excuse the guy for being "old" and "a nice fellow"? he's running a business that is basically a morgue for synths..

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:47 pm

Rob @ Rosen Inc wrote:Okay, hate to resurrect an old thread here... but I am a synth tech and shop owner here in Burbank California and I am seriously curious as to how anyone is putting up with this type of business ethic without actually going to the legal extremities? Has there been any update? I am incredibly baffled.
I hate to say it but, I still don't have mine. I emailed him a couple of days ago. Haven't heard back yet.

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:21 pm

Bitexion wrote:And why do people excuse the guy for being "old" and "a nice fellow"? he's running a business that is basically a morgue for synths..
Yet, he still has time to peddle items on eBay, including a "custom" 106. :lol:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/synthspa/m.html ... =12&_rdc=1

Chewy
Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Bass Station 2, CZ-5000, DW-8000, DR-660, EA1 mk2, ES1 mk2, JP-8000, Monotribe, R-100, SH-32,
Band: Soundtrack to Psychosis

Post by Chewy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:53 am

Kidney05, I'm kinda pissed for you right now, that's ridiculous. He's had it for almost a year and a half (if I'm understanding correctly)! It seems like he's not even trying to get it done. Even if he was, what's his excuse? That he's got other repair jobs to do? That wouldn't be right either, because it would mean he just threw yours aside to take care of other people that ordered his services after you. I doubt that's the case though, he probably just isn't working on it. And based on other replies here, it looks like you're not the only one. And shipping stuff back after a good while with missing components and not even sending them? That's bad business at the least, and just bad period if it is what I think it is (not even trying). Flaky people suck.

I'd say if you don't get it back really soon, tell him/them to send it back, and at least write a review/give feedback based on your experience

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:32 pm

Chewy wrote:Kidney05, I'm kinda pissed for you right now, that's ridiculous. He's had it for almost a year and a half (if I'm understanding correctly)! It seems like he's not even trying to get it done. Even if he was, what's his excuse? That he's got other repair jobs to do? That wouldn't be right either, because it would mean he just threw yours aside to take care of other people that ordered his services after you. I doubt that's the case though, he probably just isn't working on it. And based on other replies here, it looks like you're not the only one. And shipping stuff back after a good while with missing components and not even sending them? That's bad business at the least, and just bad period if it is what I think it is (not even trying). Flaky people suck.

I'd say if you don't get it back really soon, tell him/them to send it back, and at least write a review/give feedback based on your experience
Yeah, I think I sent it in August or September of 2013. I'm not sure what to do now, except call him. A couple months back he sent me an email out of the blue saying it was almost ready to be shipped and when I got back to him he said it got put off a little longer. Sigh...

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:39 pm

My brother sent his 106 in and it took FOREVER to get back. Wouldn't respond to his message until my brother threatened legal action for theft essentially since he was basically squatting on his item after he asked for it back even if it wasn't worked on yet. Then magically, it arrived to his doorstep fully restored within 1 or 2 weeks.

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:00 pm

This Synthspa guy is seriously screwed up. That eBay link someone posted really suggests he's hocking people's synths for parts. Kind of ironic how one user here said he never got his wooden side panels and there's some up on eBay. Oh, but he's a "nice guy" to talk to. Sorry people, this is how most business psychopaths are. They can easily put on a smile, shake your hand, talk to you in a warm and friendly manner as the other hand reaches over and takes your wallet.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:32 pm

f**k that dude. I've read way too many threads about him screwing people. Bring him down.