Synth Spa- Haven't seen my 106 in almost a year...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Truffle Shuffle

Re: Synth Spa- Haven't seen my 106 in almost a year...

Post by Truffle Shuffle » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:43 pm

I just wanted to jump in and vouch for Allen. I got my Juno 106 back last month. To be totally clear, it did take more than double the quoted turnaround, but I think it's very important that people realize that this kind of customizing and repair work isn't super easy to quote turnaround times times for, especially when you are in as high demand as Allen is. What he's offering is unique, in many cases one-off, custom work on synthesizers that are 30+ years old and usually broken coming into his shop. There's a ton of variables working on vintage electronics, which I think the people in this forum should be very aware of. Also, his prices are quite good. If anything, he could regulate his workflow by raising his prices significantly, but I for one am very happy he hasn't done that. My synth came back exactly as I had hoped from Synth Spa. I love it. It's like brand new, but better. I even wanted to swap the wood sides out after I got it back, and Allen was very accommodating with that request. My advice to anyone worried about their gear at Synth Spa would be to remain polite and request progress updates. Allen is a nice guy to talk to, and he always got back to me in a completely reasonable timeframe.

WildOlive

Post by WildOlive » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:53 am

Seeing if this finally attaches . last try then I'll post links.

Tonights finished work . Rick C. - HS-60 full restoration .

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:59 pm

You need to upload your picture on another website AND post the link here to make it work. That's it.
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

Rob @ Rosen Inc
Gear: Oberheim OB8, Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 Rev 2 & 3, Pro-One, Moog Minimoog, Yamaha CS-80 & E-70, Korg Kronos

Post by Rob @ Rosen Inc » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:36 pm

You know what I think? The acetone trick on these voice chips does not have a 100% success rate... I KNOW that much... he probably saw a golden global opportunity to fix everyones 106's for cash upfront and didn't realize he would have 1000 dead chips on his hand that the customer has technically already paid for, so he probably has to either
1. Take them out of another persons 106 which becomes a vicious cycle
or
2. Wait for analog renaissance to come up with a new batch which in my experience can take an incredibly long time.

Just a thought... My marketing advisors when I opened my shop told me to offer similar services for common issues... glad I "fired' them...
Forgive me for my synths.

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:07 am

Meanwhile, still no pictures.
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

WildOlive

Post by WildOlive » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:08 pm

No problem with the Chips, We make our own for the 4-5 % that don't restore. There are enough people that want our chips that are brand new, so we simply use the GOOD trade chips ( old originals) to cover the ones that don't restore. Sorry about not loading pictures. I just figured most would go over to the gearslutz post and look there. I wish it were as easy here, as it is there.

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:15 pm

It would be interesting to see the statistics on how long the 'acetone' chips work for after...?

Having replaced many of those that have failed I do not recommend this to my customers...I must have over a hundred old ones ....it's best to put the clones in and you are safe.
And they sound good...esp the new golden ones.
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:39 pm

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:21 pm

I got my 106 the acetone treatment from him 3 weeks ago. The turnaround was quick, as advertised.

One restored chip has since failed but he's already sent me a new one. We'll see how long the rest last!
I really like how they're socketed now, it made replacing the bad one a lot easier.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:00 am

I guess I have a final update for you all-- I did get my 106 back! It came back in the mail around 4 weeks ago. Yes, it was a long wait, but it's a damn beauty now, and it sounds fantastic. Allen is the real deal, but just insanely busy-- there are a lot of broken junos out there I guess.

priima

Post by priima » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:56 am

That is beautiful..

I just sent mine to him for voice chip work a few days ago, but that pic makes me wish I could request a custom paint job.. if only
<p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p>

Alphacode

Post by Alphacode » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:10 pm

Yeah looks better than it sounds :) (don't hate me but i don't like the 106) Seriously , thinking about painting my Nova II black (moog Prodigy) style !

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:36 pm

I used to dislike the 106 but after fixing dozens of them I rather like them now....I have noticed that the chorus chips are starting to fail on a few I have seen.'.it should sound round and lush and not steppy which is the first sign of failure.
How much does he charge to silk screen these synths..?
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

lowerlightsmusic

Post by lowerlightsmusic » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:46 pm

Hey guys. I have a related Synth Spa Juno 106 question. Allen has a lifetime guarantee for his chip restoration service. Do you know if the guarantee is transferred to another party if the synth is sold to someone else? I got my Juno back from Allen about two years ago and it works great. However, I'm going in a different direction musically and want to sell it. A potential buyer is curious if my chip guarantee would transfer to him. I've sent Synth Spa an email and called, but no response thus far. Thanks for any info.