Hand clap sound????

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
bassplayer1980
Gear: Moog lp, Ensoniq ESQ-1, E-mu command station, Mackie mixer 402 vlz3.

Hand clap sound????

Post by bassplayer1980 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:11 am

Hi, againforum :? :? Can anyone tell me howto make hand clap sounds??? I research that the clap trap from simmons is a good device to make those types of sounds. can i make hand clap sounds with the esq-1?? is ismpossible to make those with moog because i will use it as my bass lines, so, can the esq-1 make the clap sounds?? which ismy better option to get a drum machine like new order or some vintage bands???

thanks forum :roll: :roll:

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Hand clap sound????

Post by Solderman » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:26 am

The typical recipe for dry handclaps as I understand it, is white noise goes into a 6db per octave bandpass filter(with a modest amount of resonance/feedback) then into a VCA, and this VCA gets modulated by a positive unipolar sawtooth wave at a frequency of around 5-15 hz. Roland/Boss also diverts the bandpassed noise to a second mixed in channel that goes through a VCA with a simple linear decay, to act as the "room sound". I can do the dry part with my Polivoks(modulation being a rapidly retriggering envelope) or Yamaha CS-15(with the Highpass filter and some post EQ). I prefer to use my Boss HC-2 though. ;)

I think the Human League used a high resonant lowpass filter for their handclaps in Being Boiled, but it sounds like they are modulating the filter cutoff, not amplitude. Maybe you could try this with the ESQ, if you can get the LFO to go fast enough. As long as the slope drops off fast enough over a wide cutoff range, the lowpassed white noise is more likely to have a knocking or smacking quality to it. Don't forget the ESQ's LFO can modulate LFO depth with itself or another LFO at its source for unique waveshapes, if needed.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Jaytee

Post by Jaytee » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:14 am

I found a patch recipe for a CZ-101 handclap. By itself it sounded ok, but really came alive when you hit three keys at once, slightly out of time. I actually like it better than a lot of classic claps.

I'll try and find the patch recipe for you to look at, though it may not help. It makes extensive use of the 8-stage envelope and nothing really sounds like a CZ.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:33 am

I find that the key to making a short percussive noise sound into a handclap is some short delay. Short delay, bit of feedback, Bob's your uncle.

Jinsai
Gear: Alesis Ion
JX-3P w/Kiwitechnics
Nord Lead 2
Poly Evolver Keyboard
Prophet 12
Tempest
Assorted basses, guitars, software
Band: Sid Luscious and The Pants

Post by Jinsai » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:34 pm

Handclaps are very difficult to synthesize well. The original drum machine handclaps are themselves poor imitations of real handclaps, which are themselves difficult to record and have sound good.

Typical drum machine clap sounds do consist of several attacks/impulses of noise in very close proximity. That's why you can try LFOs. Main problem is many LFOs only offer sawtooth waves with linear decay, and it may not be "punchy" enough for you. You probably want something with an exponential decay, and you want to be able to have it only do a few pulses very close together.

What you're trying to do is basically create 3-5 overlapping "slap" sounds separated by a few milliseconds, with a bit of tail on the end.

Unless your synthesizer is pretty complex (allowing you to route noise through 2 different filters simultaneously, and allowing some kind of LFO or Envelope modulation where you can have 3-5 impulses/peaks fire, plus a "tail") you're probably not going to get anything approaching what you want out of a clap.

You're better off getting a drum machine or sampler that already has the clap sound you want.
Something like the DSI Tempest will also work, but you're going to spend a bit of time tuning the programming to get what you want.
--
"A musician is someone who's heard a lot of music" - Pierre Boulez

skunk3
Gear: ESX, MPC 2500, EPS16+, TX16w, TX81z, Micro Q, Microbrute, Bass Station 2, MS-20 Mini, Nord Lead 2, Machinedrum, D-50, QS7.1, loads of effects...
Band: Purplewave

Post by skunk3 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:53 pm

Seems to me like it would be far easier to just record real hand claps, overdub and add reverb to taste. Way easier than synthesizing them and likely faster and better-sounding as well.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:04 am

The best success I've had with synthesizing handclaps involved running my MS-20 Mini's square-wave LFO output into the modulation VCA, controlled by an envelope generator, so that the resulting signal was a decaying burst of square pulses, and then using that as a modulation source for the lowpass filter, with a bit of resonance on it, and the noise generator used as the only actual sound source. Since the ESQ-1's LFOs can be modulated by the EGs, there should be no reason you can't try that on it. Using the "reverb tail" mode for the envelopes could help add a little spaciousness to the sound, too. (Cranking up the resonance on the MS-20's HPF and setting it so the cutoff was just below audible frequency range created some nice additional clatter as well, but the ESQ doesn't have an HPF.)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Jaytee

Post by Jaytee » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:29 am

I should have mentioned it earlier, but what's wrong with grabbing samples? Dozens of the most famous synth claps have been sampled and released free.