Roland SH-2 Oscillators superior to all the other SH series?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Roland SH-2 Oscillators superior to all the other SH ser

Post by Solderman » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:48 pm

Bitexion wrote:The SH5 has ring modulation but no hard sync.
Actually, it has soft and hard sync from VCO1 to VCO2:

On the SH2/SH09 oscillator, I think part of it is the VCO design, but alot of it is how the VCF does or doesn't degrade the signal, depending on cutoff setting. I run my SEM oscillators through my modded SH-101's filter, an IR3109, which is a VLSI version of the VCF in the others mentioned, and can get something similar if the VCO output is hot enough.
minime123 wrote:well, *lets just put it this way*... when I wanna get jiggy with it, i reach for my sh5. it ShRedDdDdDz, Do0d! roland sure packed that thing with MASSIVE amounts of creamy goodness.
Filters again, in this case that parallel fixed bandpass. It doesn't sound nearly as creamy if you take the VCF out of "VCF,BPF" mode. I love it too though. I'd sell my SEM and ditch my SH-101 in a flash if someone would sell me an SH-5 for a not stoopid price. Problem is, they are just too rare.
I know a certain someone on this forum who was using his just as a keyboard controller for his ARP 2600, and I was compelled to protest with righteous indignation.
Last edited by Solderman on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:53 pm

Hm, then what's the main difference between the 5 and 7?

chimney chop
Band: boxc, cigarettes after sex

Post by chimney chop » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:55 pm

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:11 pm

Bitexion wrote:Hm, then what's the main difference between the 5 and 7?
SH7 has a duophonic keyboard option, VCO1 has drawbar type octave harmonics for its square waveform, autobend, VCF is cascade lowpass and fixed highpass instead of multimode, first envelope is full ADSR instead of AR, more VCA performance options and retriggerable LFO's.

chimney chop wrote:somewhat reasonably priced sh5
Thanks! If only I wasn't broke, unemployed and knee deep in debt atm! Curses, someone else is sure to snag it up quick!
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:01 pm

And still people seem to want the 5 more than the 7? So it must have some removed features?

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:27 pm

My guess is it's not the sum of features, but rather the tonal character of the 5 versus the 7. Clearly as has been reiterated in this thread, not all SH synths sound alike, in fact there seems to be a plethora of variety in that series.
--Solderman no more.

elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Post by elmosexwhistle » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:31 pm

The SH5 has an extra, non-cv controllable "magical" Bandpass filter.

This is largely the reason the 5 is more sought after.

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:59 pm

I used to have an SH-7 and really didn't like the filter. I thought it was the weakest of the SH series... The organ drawbar type square wave osc isn't nearly as interesting as the waveform mixer on the SH-3A where you can mix different waveforms for each octave...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

coilandmagnet

Post by coilandmagnet » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:06 pm

Solderman wrote: On the SH2/SH09 oscillator, I think part of it is the VCO design, but alot of it is how the VCF does or doesn't degrade the signal, depending on cutoff setting. I run my SEM oscillators through my modded SH-101's filter, an IR3109, which is a VLSI version of the VCF in the others mentioned, and can get something similar if the VCO output is hot enough.
elmosexwhistle wrote:The SH5 has an extra, non-cv controllable "magical" Bandpass filter.

This is largely the reason the 5 is more sought after.

Both of these points are great to hear.

Well I love knowing that the SH-2 exists. It's important to come across a musical instrument that truly inspires you. We've all played plenty that have done nothing in this regard. When i do need to give this SH-2 back to it's kind owner, I will promptly seek to buy my own. It's funny cause this same person lent me an SH-7 for a while too, and although that thing was pure monster magic, the basic energy coming out of it was just too different than my musical personality. It was so satisfying to create so much juice with it though. Just for pure eye dilating space tangents. And i can attest to anything and everything people say about it. It is a huge alchemist.

For me I'm an meat and potatoes guy when it comes to synths. In other words, give me a truly wholesome oscillator sound and general core of capabilities and i'm set. I'm also not even that much of a filter freak. But the statements above do make me think that maybe i really am. I don't do much in terms of tons of sweeps and filter moves, but when i like what i hear, even when the filter sound is sitting still, i can't forget that it's indeed passing through a filter.

This is where great synth engineering speaks so directly into a musicians brain. Quality quality quality.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:13 am

And no mention of the SH-1000 or the SH-3A?

If you want oscillator tone, go backwards!
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

coilandmagnet

Post by coilandmagnet » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:15 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:And no mention of the SH-1000 or the SH-3A?

If you want oscillator tone, go backwards!

Well hey Marc Doty. Great work you do, thank you for that!
Are those two pretty similar in discrete oscillator design/caliber/sound? Obviously the 3A is more versatile with all it's forms/levels but just wondering from your impressions how they both seem with tone side by side since you've gotten to do that. Of course this is an eye of the beholder thing too.

I quite enjoy that Rolands very first synth is something folks are after now.

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:54 am

The SH-09 is what got me into vintage synths after an impromptu demonstration many years ago. Had one since, and then traded up to a SH-2. Would love a Sh-5 and I considered one for a while but I just couldn't justify the outlay.

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:17 pm

Just downloaded the service notes for the SH1 and SH2 and the VCO circuits and ICs are different for each, supporting your proposition that the SH2 VCO is different and therefore potentially better

chimney chop
Band: boxc, cigarettes after sex

Post by chimney chop » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:24 am

I hade both an sh1000 (two of them) and an sh2 and the Osc. on the sh2 didn't have what the sh2 Oscs have.

sh2 definitely superior in that regard.

sh1000 had my favorite sample and hold tho of any synth I've tried

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:32 pm

I've had an SH09 for a few years now and it has slowly grown to become my main synth. Layer in a little reverb/delay and I am lost for hours. The only thing I really feel it lacks is multiple independent VCO's for unison or intervals. But the PWM, filter and envelope are all just about exactly what I want in a mono. Nice little tricks like making the envelope only mod the filter, while the amp is just the gate make it VERY funky.
Most of the other Japanese synths I have played with over the years have a very cheesy filter quality to my ears. For whatever reason this filter just plain works. Right up to full on self osc it behaves well. I often wonder how ladder filter derived it is. It certainly gets nice and fluffy in a similar way.
It's also been my most solid synth. Even my T3 needs to be reset every now and then. And my DE's both get locked up by midi data if is too heavy.
Score one for non-firmware synths!
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave