Anyone get any good Juno or Jupiter sounds from an A Station

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ChuckFalcon
Gear: Roland Promars MRS-2
Vox Continental
Mellotron M4000D
Roland Juno 60
Moog Theremini
Roland Juno 106
Akai MPC 1000
Band: Chuck Falcon

Anyone get any good Juno or Jupiter sounds from an A Station

Post by ChuckFalcon » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:39 am

Hello everyone! I recently got a Novation A Station because I wanted a compact polyphonic synth. It got really good reviews but I am having a hard time dialing in tones similar to my Roland Juno 106. Most of the sounds I am getting are maybe a bit too "modern" and resemble, trance, house, and "Night at The Roxbury".

Can anyone shed some light on this for me or help me out in some way?

Did I get the wrong synth?

I am trying to get older 80's sounds like this:

And especially:

Any help at all and I would be most appreciative!

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: Anyone get any good Juno or Jupiter sounds from an A Sta

Post by pflosi » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:17 am

Try: using only one osc; same envelope for filter and VCA; and then experiment with the chorus :thumbright:

ChuckFalcon
Vox Continental
Mellotron M4000D
Roland Juno 60
Moog Theremini
Roland Juno 106
Akai MPC 1000

Post by ChuckFalcon » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:42 pm

THANK YOU! I will give it a try this afternoon. I have a Little Phatty and a Juno 106 and I found tons of presets on there without even having to tweak anything so I guess I am new to altering the sounds and got spoiled by not having to.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:45 pm

Cool, let us know how it goes!

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:07 pm

For replicating Juno-60 sounds, you can use more than one oscillator. Even though the Juno-60 technically operates on one osc, it lets you stack stack two waveforms on each other, plus mix in a sub-oscillator and noise.

For a "default" Juno-60 tone, set the following all at full volume:
OSC 1 - Pulse Wave (PWM should be routed to a Triangle LFO)
OSC 2 - Saw Wave
OSC 3 - Sqaure Wave pitched down one whole octave (this acts as the sub-osc)

On the Juno-60, the Pulse and Saw waves are either on or off, so OSC 1 and OSC 2 can be either at full volume or muted completely. On OSC 3, the Juno-60 has a volume mixer for it, so you can adjust the volume to taste.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:08 pm

But most Juno sounds are smothered in chorus, and that chorus isn't easy to replicate it seems.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:19 pm

If you really need THAT chorus, buy a boss pedal (or if you totally wanna cheap out that B plastic thing).

Apart from that, yeah the Juno has several waveforms available on the single osc, but careful with detuning etc. if you use two oscs to mimic it. They are perfectly in phase on the Juno (also between voices!) and it's a particular sound. I reckon the Novation has a subosc per osc? I'd try that first and leave the other two oscs alone...

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:29 pm

The general point is you can get close to some synths if you study the synth you want to mimic closely. As has been mentioned, the Juno is very simplistic and has a very recognisable chorus.
You always want just one more Synth!

ChuckFalcon
Vox Continental
Mellotron M4000D
Roland Juno 60
Moog Theremini
Roland Juno 106
Akai MPC 1000

Post by ChuckFalcon » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:11 am

Hey guys, great news! I am finally getting the hang of this A Station. My "Juno setting" is getting there, not to the place I want it just yet. However the bass sounds on this little guy are kickin'! I am comparing the sounds with my Little Phatty and this thing can hold its own for sure. I was able to dial in some very usable big mellow bass sounds and also a cool nasally "nintendo" bass tone. I will put together a video soon to show everyone the progress.

There were never any Novation synth in my area or in any of the bands that came through so I am pretty new to 'em. I only knew the bigs like Roland, Moog, and Korg. Whenever I go to a show and start unveiling my vintage collection, people start flippin' out.

What joy this brings me :)

ChuckFalcon
Vox Continental
Mellotron M4000D
Roland Juno 60
Moog Theremini
Roland Juno 106
Akai MPC 1000

Post by ChuckFalcon » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:15 am

Again, thanks everybody for helping out with my quest for tones. The Chorus isn't too great on this thing but I know Boss makes some good ones. Perhaps even a Roland or Boss Rack unit!

Until recently I didn't know how much chorus was a big part of the Juno sound. I loved my Juno 106 that I got repaired from Synth Spa but noticed that there WAS NO chorusing happening because he took mine out and didn't put them back when he gave them to me. I was very happy with the non-chorusing sounds on the Juno but its good to have the options as well!

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:22 am

The Boss DE200 is the rack version of the Juno chorus if you want to go that route.
You always want just one more Synth!

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:28 am

Synthacon wrote:The Boss DE200 is the rack version of the Juno chorus if you want to go that route.
The DE200 is one of the micro rack delays. The RDD-20 is another. The RCE-10 is a chorus though, same style. They're actually very reasonably priced, I wouldn't mind one of each myself.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:57 pm

ChuckFalcon wrote:I loved my Juno 106 that I got repaired from Synth Spa but noticed that there WAS NO chorusing happening because he took mine out and didn't put them back when he gave them to me.
What the h**l man :shock:

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:02 pm

pflosi wrote:
ChuckFalcon wrote:I loved my Juno 106 that I got repaired from Synth Spa but noticed that there WAS NO chorusing happening because he took mine out and didn't put them back when he gave them to me.
What the h**l man :shock:
Seriously...did you bother to tell them it was missing? Seems like they'd fix that for free since it wad their mistake...

A Juno isn't worth owning without that chorus imho, it basically contributes to half the sound, but also much more. That chorus IS the Juno sound. You should get your 106 fixed Chuck!

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:05 pm

If you're using your A Station for recording into a DAW, there's a VST plugin that emulates the Juno-60 chorus. I was using it before I got my real Juno-60 and despite being a bit old, still holds up really well. Best of all, it's free.

http://kunz.corrupt.ch/products/TAL-Chorus-LX