how many "plug out" synths will roland make before they quit

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
corndogssg
Gear: v synth,little phatty2,jx10,kiwi106 jx305, jv2080x's8,k2600,ion,microQ,blofeld,evolver,tetra,x station,ultra nova,bass station2, jd990,minibrute
Band: sesame street gangsters

how many "plug out" synths will roland make before they quit

Post by corndogssg » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:43 pm

so I am thinking as they made a whole massive amount of two cards for the v synth, before they abandoned ship. I think they may only have one more plug out to follow the sh 101 for their aira system 1.

k maybe they will do two more, but with their history, I don't think they are going to make a bunch of them.

what do you think?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: how many "plug out" synths will roland make before they

Post by Bitexion » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:52 pm

There was the VariOS that was also abandoned pretty quickly. It played plugins too. Had a Jupiter-8 plugin (but none of the controls on the surface) but even that didn't help it sell.

So who knows. Depends on the sales I guess.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:10 pm

I predict 3 plugouts;

- SH-101
- Promars
- Juno 60

...and no updates to drivers, so that once the latest operating system is defunct the System-1 will be a doorstop, like the Varios is now :|

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:27 pm

The correct answer is: however many they have right now.

Cynical, but history is on the side of my argument. Roland tends to abandon products very, very quickly if they think they can't drive additional sales in sufficient quantities to overcome R&D costs. My understanding is the System-1 sales are sluggish, so some bean counter is right now trying to decide if it's worth it to throw more development capital at a potential boat anchor.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:57 pm

StepLogik, the logical side of me agrees with your statement above.

However, the optimist side of me hopes that this Aira system and Analog Circuit Behavior technology will be profitable enough for Roland to R&D a larger polyphonic synth (System 8, maybe) with models of Jupiters and Junos.

I just can't abide the crappy build quality, 4 voice polyphony and 2 octave keyboard of the System 1.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:46 pm

^ It's the lack of velocity sensitivity that gets me scratching my head, I mean since when did they think *that* was an acceptable omission :?

I've listened to all the demos and I've come to the conclusion that the stock System-1 engine sounds like sterile shite, lucky for them the 101 emulation sounds much, much better.

But it all feels a little bit behind the curve to me, people are savvy these days.

Anyone who wants real analog will have gotten the real deal off ebay, people who want a decent plugin will already have the (very good and free) TAL s**t and people who want a VA will have bought one in the 90's when they were in vogue :lol:

Which begs the question, what niche is this filling?

I also think they're kinda missing out not releasing the 101 plug separately, I'm sure there's plenty of people that would much rather grab that on its own, without the cripplingly limited System-1...

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:06 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:Which begs the question, what niche is this filling?
Although System 1 is a weird choice for the host machine, I've seen posts here and elsewhere on teh netz begging for a hardware synth that could host VSTs. Here it is, baby... :roll:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:16 pm

I think they mean host ANY vst synths, not just a couple of Roland-branded ones.

And there is already the Muse Receptor which does exactly that. But it's nothing more than a black box, totally MIDI controlled.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:10 pm

Well of course people want any VST but if they actually understood how the VST standard works they would understand it's impossible. Anyone who used Receptor or V-Machine will tell you it's not the ideal solution people might expect.

On the other hand, the SH-101 plugout works both as a normal VST and inside the System 1 so it's definitely a step in the right direction. If mfrs could agree to a plugout standard, then it might actually go somewhere.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:13 pm

Constant maintenance is part of the experience of old synths, yes? How dare the Aira line of products for just getting people back to making music.

System-1 is built dirt cheap. Small and dirt cheap is the trend currently. Not bothered about no velocity. Most of us have other synths for velocity shenanigans. Future software updates might add a feature that could be toggled.

The System-1 engine sounds authentic. It does not sound VA nor digital, until adding delay/reverb/crusher, they could have done far worse. The SH-101 plug out sounds superb, and it is easy to forget it is not a true analog. I do not own an original SH-101 and can not compare. I am deeply impressed the Analog Circuit Behavior.

I want to see a beefed-up construction Aira polysynth. This is how Junos and Jupiters would be done right.

Prepare yourselves to wait a long time for other plug-outs actually emerge. Seems like authoring the plug-outs is exhausting and all time-consuming.

There is no plug-out button on the TR-8 and it does not say 'Plug-out Rhythm Performer'. Maybe added drum kits can be addressed as simple software updates. Nonetheless I want the TR-8 to add the TR-606. They better do it soon, really itchin' for this one.

The 4-voices of the System-1 will allow for Jupiter-4 plug-out, and it definitely needs to happen.

The SH-5 and/or SH-7 are also on my wish list.

The System 100/100m may be too much to fit under the hood but there will be riots if this actually happens.

I am optimistic if all goes well there will be a day when there are multiple plug-outs all competing for the same prized real-estate inside the system-1. Which ones would get used, and which would be collecting theoretical dust inside the computer?

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:30 am

I really really hope we get some TR-8 sound banks before they abandon it. That'll be good for years and gears if they just add the CR-78 and some other good ones.

I think a ton of people would buy the System-1 if it had a handful of plugouts. Judging by the Sonic State video, the 101 was awesome.

Percivale
Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Post by Percivale » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:55 am

About four? It was mentioned that there are other AIRA products in development. Hopefully, we can see more use of these plug-ins and a System-X, e.g. full-fledged 12 voice ACB polyphonic synth.

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:45 am

The only positive... The aria team is run separately from the main Roland company, different locations etc. hopefully means it will not suffer the VariOS fate.
You always want just one more Synth!

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:40 pm

I read somewhere that three are in the initial planning: SH101, Promars and System 100. Can't remember where I read it but I'm 100% sure that I'm about 80% positive it was on some press blurb and not a forum conjecture (but don't quote me on that :-) )

Have to say the SH101 sounds extremely good! If they get the others equally right; and sort out class compliant drivers, this could be a real hit.

chimney chop
Band: boxc, cigarettes after sex

Post by chimney chop » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:07 pm

how many?

1 or 2, 3 maybe. 4?....