how many "plug out" synths will roland make before they quit

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Re: how many "plug out" synths will roland make before they

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:21 pm

Now you've got this stuck in my head :lol:

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:08 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:^ It's the lack of velocity sensitivity that gets me scratching my head, I mean since when did they think *that* was an acceptable omission :?
Well, so far every plugout emulation which has been hinted at are Roland synths that never included velocity sensitivity to begin with. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the first Roland synth with that feature was the JX-8P, and from my point of view, this is aiming to be more in the vain of Roland's pre-MIDI era type synths. Personally, I dislike velocity settings since most of my real analog gear doesn't have it (Juno-60, SH-101, MS-20...), so anytime I go to play on a VA, it's one of the first things I disable.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:16 pm

Yeah I guess that's true, but I still think it's an expressive feature that I wouldn't want to lose.

The short travel thing is also kinda annoying, thinking historically a lot of mono's had very shoddy keyboards but these days you kinda expect more.

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:21 pm

Kidney05 wrote:I really really hope we get some TR-8 sound banks before they abandon it. That'll be good for years and gears if they just add the CR-78 and some other good ones.

I think a ton of people would buy the System-1 if it had a handful of plugouts. Judging by the Sonic State video, the 101 was awesome.
thats what i was gonna ask? CR-78 and 707 pleeeease? but will they be so 'true' to their modeling that you cant re-pitch them? ;)
Re-Member wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:^ It's the lack of velocity sensitivity that gets me scratching my head, I mean since when did they think *that* was an acceptable omission :?
Well, so far every plugout emulation which has been hinted at are Roland synths that never included velocity sensitivity to begin with. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the first Roland synth with that feature was the JX-8P, and from my point of view, this is aiming to be more in the vain of Roland's pre-MIDI era type synths. Personally, I dislike velocity settings since most of my real analog gear doesn't have it (Juno-60, SH-101, MS-20...), so anytime I go to play on a VA, it's one of the first things I disable.
i also heard the JX-8P was the first, certainly the earliest ive played. and similarly, after playing 3P's and 106's, and the amount of static dynamic MIDI programming i do, i usually turn velocity off on VA synths like the SH-201.

i was not impressed by the midget-key travel on the System-1 i played at the store. i can only surmise that the number of plug outs they make will depend on which synths they can retro-actively apply to their knob layout? and i think if your holding your breath for a polyphonic model, you might want to look into the steadily dropping prices of SH201s and GAIAs....

skunk3
Gear: ESX, MPC 2500, EPS16+, TX16w, TX81z, Micro Q, Microbrute, Bass Station 2, MS-20 Mini, Nord Lead 2, Machinedrum, D-50, QS7.1, loads of effects...
Band: Purplewave

Post by skunk3 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:16 pm

Why does anyone care about a TR-707 sound set? It's just a bunch of crappy samples.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:14 pm

skunk3 wrote:Why does anyone care about a TR-707 sound set? It's just a bunch of crappy samples.
I've thought something like this myself, viz.. "Why wouldn't people that don't want to buy 707s just use samples if they want a 707 sound for whatever they're doing?"

I've come up with two possible answers: one that might have more universal appeal to people who do not have invested interest in the 707 as a drum machine, but may be more concerned with practicality and performance aspects; and one that might have more narrow appeal to people with invested interest, who may be looking for accuracy and a maximally charitable/authentic emulation. This is in no way a comprehensive response, and I am not looking to promote one approach over the other, with regards to the fact that I am forced to speak only from my own experiences as someone who owns and uses a 707.

One answer might be that for people who are using the Tr8; if they have a 707 emulation in there, it would mean they can have all 3 sound sets in one piece of hardware. That makes it easier and more convenient to play live, since they could just bring one piece of hardware, and in addition they would get the added benefit of using the interface on the TR8 with the 707 sounds, also on only one piece of hardware.

In addition, the TR drum machines, even the ones that just use samples, always have a little extra something when you use the unit itself. I encounter this when I switch from the samples I made with my own machines (I sample my gear to use when sketching out ideas) to tracking the parts with the hardware, or hooking them up for a whole performance. There are a lot of hypotheses about what this is, or why it might seem as though this is the case, but I suspect that none of them are themselves accurate; rather that there is a complex interplay that produces a synergy of the many components acting as a whole, coupled with the degree and horizon against which the observer is paying attention/ is invested in the distinction (i.e..the less you give a s**t, the more everything sounds the same). One hope may be that for those with invested interest in the 707, the TR8 emulation may bring to life some of this visceral element that many find absent when using samples alone.

P.S. :ugeek:
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:40 pm

ninja6485 wrote:
skunk3 wrote:Why does anyone care about a TR-707 sound set? It's just a bunch of crappy samples.
I've thought something like this myself, viz.. "Why wouldn't people that don't want to buy 707s just use samples if they want a 707 sound for whatever they're doing?"

I've come up with two possible answers: one that might have more universal appeal to people who do not have invested interest in the 707 as a drum machine, but may be more concerned with practicality and performance aspects; and one that might have more narrow appeal to people with invested interest, who may be looking for accuracy and a maximally charitable/authentic emulation. This is in no way a comprehensive response, and I am not looking to promote one approach over the other, with regards to the fact that I am forced to speak only from my own experiences as someone who owns and uses a 707.

One answer might be that for people who are using the Tr8; if they have a 707 emulation in there, it would mean they can have all 3 sound sets in one piece of hardware. That makes it easier and more convenient to play live, since they could just bring one piece of hardware, and in addition they would get the added benefit of using the interface on the TR8 with the 707 sounds, also on only one piece of hardware.

In addition, the TR drum machines, even the ones that just use samples, always have a little extra something when you use the unit itself. I encounter this when I switch from the samples I made with my own machines (I sample my gear to use when sketching out ideas) to tracking the parts with the hardware, or hooking them up for a whole performance. There are a lot of hypotheses about what this is, or why it might seem as though this is the case, but I suspect that none of them are themselves accurate; rather that there is a complex interplay that produces a synergy of the many components acting as a whole, coupled with the degree and horizon against which the observer is paying attention/ is invested in the distinction (i.e..the less you give a s**t, the more everything sounds the same). One hope may be that for those with invested interest in the 707, the TR8 emulation may bring to life some of this visceral element that many find absent when using samples alone.

For me I just want as many Roland sound sets in one machine as possible. I don't care if they're weird or less useful, I think every kit has at least one hit you could use that would be good. The 808 and 909 (and CR-78, IMO) are the bread and butter but I still think the 505 has its charm... it would be nice to just have them all easily accessible.

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:21 am

ninja6485 wrote:

on the other hand, i could think why i would buy a 707 and not use the audio at all? its apparently the cheapest old roland thing with cv/gate paired with stable midi clock?

edit: but you nailed it too. just gimme all the damn roland sounds in one place. the whole reason i got myself into this TR8 mess was i got damn tired of the same 256 samples on my electribe EMX.... :roll:

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:31 am

"Stable midi clock" on a 707? :lol:

I like my 707 for the form factor and the sliders mainly, the trigger output is handy but a bit weak...

max badwan
Gear: T1, XV 5080, ES1, Zaquencer

Post by max badwan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:15 pm

As the owner of a VariOS, I'd say don't buy it based on "promised future releases". If you like what it can do now, go for it, but don't hold your breath.
My VariOS isn't quite a doorstop/paperweight, but it's lost most of it's extended functionality, and I use it as a D-50 preset machine - nice to play, but that's about it.

Nistegmos
Gear: Alesis M1 Active 320 USB Monitors/Interface; Alesis Q49 USB MIDI Controller; Reaper; FL Studio; Harmor; Vember Surge; Toxic Biohazard; freewares.
Band: Nystagmus

Post by Nistegmos » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:50 pm

What exactly doest the term "plugout" actually mean? this is the first forum and time i have ever seen the phrase used!?!?!

Is the Muse Receptor a plugout? or are you talking about the Korg M1 VSTi? or are you talking about the hardware that can be loaded into a DAW via a software driver for synchronization and editing? or are you talking about a synth that has software as it's brain/guts? I'm totally confused...

chimney chop
Band: boxc, cigarettes after sex

Post by chimney chop » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:09 pm

it's Roland's term for a vst that can be loaded into a hardware synth and be played in that synth completely independently of the software

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:44 am

It's not forum term, it's the term Roland has coined themselves. The meaning is that you can load the software plugin into the System-1 and control it directly on the front panel. I don't know why it's called plugout instead of plugin. Probably some roland buffs who thought they should stand out from the VST crowd.

There is a button on the panel called "Plugout" that switches the synth functions to the software you loaded into it.
Right now there is only one, the SH-101 emulation.

I'd never heard the word either before Roland started marketing the AIRA line. And it's not like the Muse Receptor, this one ONLY takes specialmade Roland VST's.

corndogssg
Gear: v synth,little phatty2,jx10,kiwi106 jx305, jv2080x's8,k2600,ion,microQ,blofeld,evolver,tetra,x station,ultra nova,bass station2, jd990,minibrute
Band: sesame street gangsters

Post by corndogssg » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:39 am

you can "plug out" from your computer, with the sh 101 sounds still inside the system 1. as far as my guess is they will probably only do 1 or 2 more "plug outs" for the system 1, just based on track record alone. it is a 4 voice, so if they do a Jupiter 4 they will be doing system 1 owners and future owners a solid.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:47 am

garranimal wrote:The System 100/100m may be too much to fit under the hood but there will be riots if this actually happens.
OMG OMG OMG they actually DID THE SYSTEM-100