Anyone here burned out on modern analog?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Anyone here burned out on modern analog?

Post by nuketifromorbit » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:41 pm

After owning the microbrute, volca keys, volca beats, and a 9u eurorack system I've come to the conclusion that I've taken patch memory, vco's that aren't temperature stabilized, and other modern conveniences for granted all these years. Having no way, short of meticulous sampling, to recall a patch instantly is in my opinion a drag. I actually prefer my micromodular and dsi evolver for large complex patches, while my dark energy and greatly scaled back euro system are usually set aside for bass and lead duties.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Re: Anyone here burned out on modern analog?

Post by StepLogik » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:25 pm

Nope.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:40 pm

"Anyone here burned out on modern analog?"

No, not really. What fatigues me is the ever growing amount of Eurorack stuff to choose from, the overwhelming selection of toy synths (to me, at least), and the fact that I still haven't found a modern analogue synthesiser that could make my old stuff redundant.

Other than that, I'm perfectly happy, thanks.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

skunk3
Gear: ESX, MPC 2500, EPS16+, TX16w, TX81z, Micro Q, Microbrute, Bass Station 2, MS-20 Mini, Nord Lead 2, Machinedrum, D-50, QS7.1, loads of effects...
Band: Purplewave

Post by skunk3 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:41 pm

I'm confused as to why you say that you're burned out on modern analog, yet praise it... ?

I'm with you in that I hate not having patch memory, and I think that reliable gear is great. I have very little interest in vintage gear anymore due to how much awesome modern stuff is available.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:32 pm

I'm with you nukeit...spent 9 years trying various analogs, VAs and modulars...now reduced to a DSI Evolver for my remaining analog jones. Mostly for the reasons you noted.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:37 pm

skunk3 wrote:I'm confused as to why you say that you're burned out on modern analog, yet praise it... ?

I'm with you in that I hate not having patch memory, and I think that reliable gear is great. I have very little interest in vintage gear anymore due to how much awesome modern stuff is available.
For the first time in my life analog is actually affordable, but ultimately I'm a bit underwhelmed by it all and can't see the need to own more than one. In other words I think analog synths are a niche product. Let me clarify and say that I'm not including digital analog hybrids like my dsi evolver in the modern analog category. I'm not trying to criticize anyone's personal preferences, but after seeing countless people trash virtual analogs and other digital synths, I'm curious if any other digital fans like myself are still unconvinced of analog supposed superiority.

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:49 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:"Anyone here burned out on modern analog?"

No, not really. What fatigues me is the ever growing amount of Eurorack stuff to choose from, the overwhelming selection of toy synths (to me, at least), and the fact that I still haven't found a modern analogue synthesiser that could make my old stuff redundant.

Other than that, I'm perfectly happy, thanks.

Stephen
I agree. I got into eurorack due to my experiences with the nord modular series. I sold my micromodular, built a case, and set to work thinking that finally I'd be free from the computer and would bask in the glory of a hands on interface. Instead I found dealing with tangles of wires and a bunch of knobs jammed together on a fairly small surface to be a headache. Its one of the rare instances where I find using a mouse preferable. I came to the conclusion I was better off having a few modules to act as accessories to my dark energy, than I was building a massive system which could function as a sort of primitive electronic music studio.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:59 pm

I think I'm picking up what you're puttin' down. But if I may propose a theory, it's really about having what you need at the ready so as not to stifle creativity. So having one analog synth that you know well and can get what you want out of it quickly without too much fuss, means you also are using something who's character you like. Perhaps what inspires you these days is having a bigger variety of timbres than vintage synths could provide.

At some point the sounds themselves are insufficient to inspire. They need to be easily called up so you can get to composing to truly be inspired and continue. The less things you have to overwhelm you, the faster you can get to it.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:12 pm

The only modern analog I've had is the Moog Voyager which is a great synth in my humble opinion.

I'm pretty exited about the Oberheim Two Voice as well

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:05 pm

In my own experience with analog synths in the last decade, I could never go back to the VA's or digital synths of the last 20 years.

To me that VA trend was such a bad thing to hit the synthesis market because most of them sounded so thin and weedy. Not to mention that since they were overly plentiful and also sounded bad it truly bored me. For years I was left wondering how my musical influences got the wholesome sounds I was used to hearing in my favourite albums but could never make anything close until I finally tried analog synthesis.

To me the sound character is the most important thing over features...I'm still waiting to be blown away by any modern digital synthesis and so far I can only appreciate the Virus series. I find nothing else out there can employ a richness in sound like I find in my big polys. Just my opinion anyways.
‹‡›

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:53 pm

nuketifromorbit wrote:I'm not trying to criticize anyone's personal preferences, but after seeing countless people trash virtual analogs and other digital synths, I'm curious if any other digital fans like myself are still unconvinced of analog supposed superiority.
Oh, a digital vs analog thread. Got it!

Solyaris

Post by Solyaris » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:04 am

There still aren't many polyphonic modern analogues, so I would definitely say no! I am not interested in DSI unfortunately so there aren't many options for me to choose from, let alone get burnt out on.

Furthermore, I'd say there aren't too many smooth sounding monophonic synths out there either. A lot of stuff (Bass Station, Brutes, Sub Phatty) are aimed towards more distorted sounds. This is not to say they aren't capable of smooth sounds, but these synths all have been leaning towards distorted, imo. So there's still room for more.

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:12 am

GuyaGuy wrote:
nuketifromorbit wrote:I'm not trying to criticize anyone's personal preferences, but after seeing countless people trash virtual analogs and other digital synths, I'm curious if any other digital fans like myself are still unconvinced of analog supposed superiority.
Oh, a digital vs analog thread. Got it!
Anyone truly interested in all sounds of synthesizers and synthesis will have a little bit of everything. I've got a room full of everything but only a few of each kind. Lots of years of trying and buying.

Other than that you have niche buyers that prefer certain things.

I've got my small stable of favorite vintage monos, polys and stringers and thats it. Subconsciously, without being clearly anti-vintage, I've sold a ton of vintage synthesizers and drum machines over the past few years. How many slight variations of the same thing do you need?

I've replaced them with lots of modern modular (mostly Modcan A and Serge) and modern items like both brutes, gotharmann stuff, jomox, etc. I've also taken the proceeds of buying low and selling high on vintage synths and buying lots of great high end outboard which makes everything sound even better. And modular which is my true love. But not eurorack. Have tried twice but I dont like the format.

I am basically burned out on everything. Sometimes I'm tempted by a Virus or Waldorf Pulse 2, recently I had a chance to buy a bunch of vintage locally for a very nice price but passed on all of it which has since sold to other people. I just have enough and am ok with that.

I have been tying up a few loose ends with things I've always wanted but very little old or new gets me going. As much vintage as I've still got, I've sold at least 2-3 times more.

I'm tired of buying, I'm tired of selling. Just need to do more using. Using it and making something great with it of course is the toughest part which is why we're all here.
Last edited by plikestechno on Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:34 am

Solyaris wrote:There still aren't many polyphonic modern analogues, so I would definitely say no! I am not interested in DSI unfortunately so there aren't many options for me to choose from, let alone get burnt out on.

Furthermore, I'd say there aren't too many smooth sounding monophonic synths out there either. A lot of stuff (Bass Station, Brutes, Sub Phatty) are aimed towards more distorted sounds. This is not to say they aren't capable of smooth sounds, but these synths all have been leaning towards distorted, imo. So there's still room for more.
The brute can be programmed smooth, everybody just likes overdriving it though and putting the metalizer and brute factors on max. I have a Minibrute and Microbrute beside each other. They are my favorite synths in a very long time.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

skunk3
Gear: ESX, MPC 2500, EPS16+, TX16w, TX81z, Micro Q, Microbrute, Bass Station 2, MS-20 Mini, Nord Lead 2, Machinedrum, D-50, QS7.1, loads of effects...
Band: Purplewave

Post by skunk3 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:53 am

I can think of a lot of reasons to own more than one modern analog... they all have their own flavor and they all sound pretty rad. They are definitely more accessable than vintage price-wise and also arguably more useful since they have MIDI, and some (like the Bass Station 2) have patch memory. The Bass Station 2 is VERY smooth... it can get aggressive-sounding but it's definitely capable of being silky as all h**l.

Also, I think VA / digital is great. Anyone who claims that VA is "weedy" or "thin" clearly doesn't have a clue IMHO. Sure, those vintage analog polys can/do sound good, but whether they are truly better is totally subjective, and when you look at it from a "bang for your buck" perspective it can get downright laughable sometimes.

Also, I dunno how anyone can claim to be "burned out" on modern analogs unless they've tried them all...