Anyone here burned out on modern analog?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mute

Re: Anyone here burned out on modern analog?

Post by mute » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:01 am

Synths are synths. I don't care if they're analogue or digital, hardware or software. It's the sound that matters.

Percivale
Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Post by Percivale » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:02 am

As someone had pointed out, this appears to be a variant of an evergreen topic. Sound is sound. Even if there were to be new forms of synthesis, the audio spectrum is limiting in sense that only so-much can be heard by human ear.

We are living in a digital age. Our gear are either digital, analogue or most likely a mix in-between. Besides "to each his own" sound desired and/or preferred, what is there to like or dislike?

IMHO, synthesizers make electronic sounds/music and therefore, it means at some point of the sound production chain, something digital got involved, be it data, signal, voltage, D-A conversion, etc. Not possible to get pure analogue sound, i.e. acoustic. As said, have what you will, and hopefully that means a bit of everything to maximise your sound palette.

Perhaps recent offerings from manufacturers had caused a deluge of models too similar to each other? I say more variety and choices are great from a consumer's point of view. Often when I look at my stuff, I am thankful to be able to own and play my gear.

Jaytee

Post by Jaytee » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:11 am

I haven't owned much modern analog, just a Monotribe and a Minibrute. I got rid of both. Part of it was the lack of presets, but even more so, the lack of MIDI control over the synth's parameters. Hands-on is nice, but it's not everything.

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:04 am

GuyaGuy wrote:
Oh, a digital vs analog thread. Got it!
Yeah except in this case I'm sticking up for the former rather than the later. There are far more analog purists out there than there are weirdo's like myself who genuinely love their kawai k1s.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:31 am

nuketifromorbit wrote:For the first time in my life analog is actually affordable, but ultimately I'm a bit underwhelmed by it all and can't see the need to own more than one. In other words I think analog synths are a niche product. Let me clarify and say that I'm not including digital analog hybrids like my dsi evolver in the modern analog category. I'm not trying to criticize anyone's personal preferences, but after seeing countless people trash virtual analogs and other digital synths, I'm curious if any other digital fans like myself are still unconvinced of analog supposed superiority.
I can't see the need to own more than one old synth of the same kind either though, I don't think that applies just to modern gear. The good thing about right now is that you can choose from all the new analogue synths, the new digital synths, the not so new analogue and digital synths and the old analogue synths. Pick what you like out of everything ever made and ignore what you don't like!

I think the only real talk of analogue being 'superior' is at sounding analogue. Which it is, but it's terrible at sounding digital.
plikestechno wrote:
Solyaris wrote:There still aren't many polyphonic modern analogues, so I would definitely say no! I am not interested in DSI unfortunately so there aren't many options for me to choose from, let alone get burnt out on.

Furthermore, I'd say there aren't too many smooth sounding monophonic synths out there either. A lot of stuff (Bass Station, Brutes, Sub Phatty) are aimed towards more distorted sounds. This is not to say they aren't capable of smooth sounds, but these synths all have been leaning towards distorted, imo. So there's still room for more.
The brute can be programmed smooth, everybody just likes overdriving it though and putting the metalizer and brute factors on max. I have a Minibrute and Microbrute beside each other. They are my favorite synths in a very long time.
Yeah, a person who can't make the brutes sound smooth is a person who doesn't know how to use a synth. :thumbleft:

I find it really funny when people are discussing the Streichfett because they're not really sure how much of it is analogue and how much is digital and so they seem to be sitting on the fence a bit about whether or not they like it.

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:33 am

Not burned out when things like Boomstars and Dominion 1s are being released. Even the Hypersynth Xenophone was an unexpected surprise.

I don't think it's possible for a synthesist to become burnt out on synths. I love them. Synth companies will know if they laid an egg so there's a level for accountability. The synth world is much different than the Big 3 romper world, where the Big 3 could get away with laying an egg.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:12 am

stikygum wrote:I don't think it's possible for a synthesist to become burnt out on synths.
This.

Also, as Stabs said, today you have an incredible choice of many different types of synths, old & new, analogue & digital. The current batch of modern analogues are all pretty different sounding & with many varying features too, so there's plenty of sonic & functional range to choose from.

As far as synthesis goes, I don't think there's been a better time to be alive.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:26 am

nuketifromorbit wrote:I got into eurorack due to my experiences with the nord modular series. I sold my micromodular, built a case, and set to work thinking that finally I'd be free from the computer and would bask in the glory of a hands on interface. Instead I found dealing with tangles of wires and a bunch of knobs jammed together on a fairly small surface to be a headache. Its one of the rare instances where I find using a mouse preferable.
The trick is to pick BIG modules and place them usefully. Big is good in Eurorack. Modules that you need to tweak to the edges of the case; modules with jacks on bottom on top rows, etc. :thumbright:

That said, I genuinely enjoy my K1r as well :mrgreen:

It's all about having as much options available as possible IMO.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:27 pm

Alex, a collegue o' mine who's a guitar builder/player, once met a guy with a Gibson. That guy said "I've an old Gibson here, paid like 1000 for it in '54, can I trade this for.. oh.. 150 euro?" Then Alex said to that guy: "that Gibson is easily worth 35000 euro on eBay". So obviously the guy kept it.
I then asked Alex whether I'd hear the difference between such a '54 Gibson and a recent Gibson.. he said "probably not".

I find this awfully similar to this whole synth thing. The whole AvsD debate on details no-one hears or cares about, certainly not when they've just been mixed and layered.

Later on, he told me there are guitars that now command prices like $350000. And yea, I know the drill: like moist being completely vapourised from the wood of the body etc. but come on.. :)

It makes me think the real value of both guitars and old vintage synth stuff is merely nominal, not intrinsic. Once things have a nominal value, you can debate about it for an eternity. It'll be a discussion between the rational and the emotional people, most likely.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Sheherezadeh
Gear: OB6m/Prophet 08/Sub 37/Tetra/Minilogue/Slim Phatty/MS20m/Mini+Micro Brutes/Virus TI/AN1X/Ion/JP8000/Z1/Microkorg XL/System 1m/Rocket/XS8/NE373/RD700GX

Post by Sheherezadeh » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:52 pm

People like to listen with their eyes rather than their ears. There's great old gear, terrible old gear, great new gear, and terrible new gear. We're at a pretty unique position to be able to choose from the best of most of it. I have modern analog, modern digital, and older-ish digital. Personally I lean towards newer stuff because I don't want to have to deal with maintenance or vintage premiums.

The guitar point is I think overlooked as well. We complain when Memorymoogs, Jupiter 8s, ARP 2600s and such climb to $5k-10k. But if you want the original sought after guitars, the price goes into the stratosphere, such as $500,000 for a '59 Les Paul. It makes vintage synths seem dirt cheap in comparison.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:24 pm

In 1959 a Les Paul cost $300, believe it or not.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:52 pm

I don't get the question. Modern day analogue is a good thing. Old analogue is still great and will still sound the same as it always has.
A mix of both and some digital synths too covering all the sounds you like can only be nigh on perfect.

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:58 pm

pflosi wrote:
nuketifromorbit wrote:I got into eurorack due to my experiences with the nord modular series. I sold my micromodular, built a case, and set to work thinking that finally I'd be free from the computer and would bask in the glory of a hands on interface. Instead I found dealing with tangles of wires and a bunch of knobs jammed together on a fairly small surface to be a headache. Its one of the rare instances where I find using a mouse preferable.
The trick is to pick BIG modules and place them usefully. Big is good in Eurorack. Modules that you need to tweak to the edges of the case; modules with jacks on bottom on top rows, etc. :thumbright:
I basically did this and carefully spaced the modules apart with diy blanks. I still found patching a bit annoying. I'm happiest with a modest 3u system teamed up with a semi-modular synth.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:06 pm

The only thing that is more irritating than a analog vs. digital thread is the point at which someone in the thread says "NO ONE CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE ANYWAY."

The truth is, that is true, and also totally untrue.

In regard to the topic... I think the reason that it's easy to get burned out on modern analogs is that they don't possess the quality that makes analog really desirable. Yes, they're different from digital synths... yes, they sound good and are a tad less predictable than digital, and yes, they have inspiring knobby interfaces. But the sounds that caused the first analog revival were the early-to-mid-1970s synths. The ones that still contained discrete or semi-discrete architecture, were noisy and buzzy and unpredictable, and had warm and saturated tones. THOSE are the synths that when you hear them, you say: "Yes, that's analog."

But there was a shift from the "hey, we're Gen Xers and we love 70s culture" of the original analog revival to this current analog enthusiasm that has more to do with electronic dance music, futuristic concepts, rigid programming, and the 80s. The 1980s analog sound was vastly different. Engineers had worked very hard to make it more predictable, more stable, and cleaner. Early 80s analog sounds very different from early 70s analog.

And the analog synths today... well, to be honest... tone-wise, there isn't a lot of difference between them and digital synths. The general public wants stability, and stability ruins analog sound.

I like the modern analog as much as anyone, but I'm not surprised if it makes people uncertain of what the actual appeal of analog is.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:17 pm

Percivale wrote:Perhaps recent offerings from manufacturers had caused a deluge of models too similar to each other?
That's the way I see it. Lots of choices but few are compelling to me. I grew up with MIDI and digital (though owned vintage analogs like Odyssey, Juno and SH-101) and some aspects of vintage analog are best left in the past rather than being revived...CV is wonderful for many things but setting the pitch of a note is not one of them :?

Volcas are great $150 instruments, microBrute is a great $300 instrument, MS20 mini is a great $600 instrument, but they are not great instruments IMHO. Replacing common hardwired mod routings in favor of a few jacks and calling the resulting synth "semi modular" (microBrute, MS20) should be a crime :pissed:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.