Anyone here burned out on modern analog?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Re: Anyone here burned out on modern analog?

Post by Walter Ego » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:52 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:And they're certainly not here to not talk about anything because everything is up to whatever anyone wants.
Okay, my head hurts now that AG and Stabby are going at it...

but

as StepLogik said in response to the OP,

"NOPE"

=D>

But in all seriousness...my microbrute and volcas sit nicely next to my microkorg, RS-09 and CZ-101. It's a blended family...Grampy Roland and Weird Uncle Casio are having a great time with these young whipper-snappers...

I wouldn't want NO patch memory, but I don't think I've taken it for granted. I'm loving the new crop of easily acquired knobbly monos and rhythm boxes.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:29 pm

frankly I think a lot of what some folks ascribe to the character of vintage synths has less to do with discrete/integrated or DCO/VCO and more to do with dried up old capacitors and dirty pots.

Those seminal synth albums from the 70s sound warmer and fatter than your current synth because they were recorded in a galvanic environment of transformer balanced inputs and outputs, and magnetic analog recording media, which was then mass produced on mechanical recording media with limited SNR and bandwidth.
All of which add harmonic & intermodulation distortion and other nonlinearities.

Record your Voyager, Mopho or other modern analog though a tube mic amp, tube opto limiter and onto analog tape (through a discrete mixing board of course) and it will render quite the same by the time you get to finished master.
This is the same reason generations of guitar shredders can't quite nail Tony Iommi's tone on the first few Sabbath albums.
Their signal chain is guitar-pedal-pedal-pedal-amp.
The tone they are imitating was achieved by
guitar-pedal-amp-mic-preamp-mixer-limiter-head amp-tape-repro amp-mixer-tape-mastering processing-vinyl.

Besides, it is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:46 am

Good thread question.

When Pro2 was first demo'd I was quite excited. But the price (and lack-lustre audio demos) have made me realise - I may as well commit to purchasing a few more vintage classics like the Minimoog, Promars and eventually a Jupiter 8.

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:10 am

calaverasgrande wrote:frankly I think a lot of what some folks ascribe to the character of vintage synths has less to do with discrete/integrated or DCO/VCO and more to do with dried up old capacitors and dirty pots.
Don't agree with this so much; bad caps (beyond the tolerances the circuit was designed for) and scratchy pots add little to an instrument in my experience.
Those seminal synth albums from the 70s sound warmer and fatter than your current synth because they were recorded in a galvanic environment of transformer balanced inputs and outputs, and magnetic analog recording media, which was then mass produced on mechanical recording media with limited SNR and bandwidth.
All of which add harmonic & intermodulation distortion and other nonlinearities.
I'm inclined to agree more with this though - what's the point in using messy/characterful (depending on your POV) instruments if you're gonna edit it out in post-production?

max badwan
Gear: T1, XV 5080, ES1, Zaquencer

Post by max badwan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:44 am

I'm mildly amused that fashion takes technology "backwards", but entirely happy that there's a new generation of analog synths out there. I cut my teeth on analog monos, and they're an excellent way to learn.
I also like the fact that it allows smaller manufacturers and synth designers to get into the market.
Happy days indeed.

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:07 am

Just got a prophet 08.....really Nice and much nicer than i could have imagined.

A fun synth with a Great sound.
Roland Vp330 mk1.SH101.juno 6.OSCar.ARP odyssey..Tonus 2600..omni.
ms20/50. OBX.
Prophet 5
Wasp.EMS AKS.

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:25 pm

In the process of trading my volca keys for a korg ea-1. I'm a bad bad terrible person.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

Jonahs

Post by Jonahs » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:52 am

i think doing some things on the analog4 can sound "70s" (ignore the analog oscillators, they're good for different "digital" reasons like wave sequencing :) ). a lot of it depends on how you use it. imo it's a pretty interesting synth regardless, it's kinda too bad they had to use analog to market it. the digital adds a lot to it, i think, more than just convenience.

does the ms20 mini count as modern or old? it's still great anyway, i think. i can't believe people complain about the noise. tbh, it seems ike a lot of modern analog fetishism is feeling insecure and fearful about the role technology plays in our lives.

most of the sound of the 70s ( or 60s :) )i think comes down to being hardcore in the work you put in. i like a lot of 70s synth stuff like parmegiani, tomita, oram, etc. i don't think they really got into synthesis to make sounds like anyone else and the sound of their synths is more them than anything technological. i'd bet there are people using modern synths/modular that you think is older gear, but they just don't go around advertising it or making demos. or it's old and it sounds new. :)

and yeah get a nice, expensive in it's time, older mixer with quality eq and gain, that is cheap now, and use whatever.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:48 pm

For the most part I went in the other direction. When I first started programming electronic music 11 years ago there wasn't any affordable new analog, so I had to buy used vintage and I got tired of buying synths that were either half (or completely) broken or a compromise in functionality. Once new analog became more varied and affordable I largely went in that direction and I can't really go backwards now even if I wanted to. The price of used vintage is well beyond me now. That said, I still have a 106 that is a pretty integral part of my sound.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Infrasound
Gear: Smack, Crack, Acid

Post by Infrasound » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:03 am

A friend played me a track he did the other day, and damn if it didn't sound so like a creamy 1970s Pink Floyd era track. I asked him what synth he used, and he told me 'I don't know, something that comes with FL studio'.

Perhaps my ears aren't that great, I don't know. All I can say is that his music sounded magnificent.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:21 am

I would add that at this point, only my modern analogs are not burnt out. All my vintage ones are on the repair pile. Oh wait the SH09 and KPR are still good.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:59 am

I can't say I am. I'm currently enjoying the h**l out of my .com system, MS20, Microbrute and Monotron.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:49 pm

ryryoftokyo wrote:I can't say I am. I'm currently enjoying the h**l out of my .com system, MS20, Microbrute and Monotron.

Seriously. The Monotron is a wonderful wonderful thing. I used my DUO so much that the output died, and I realized I am feeling lost without that filter. Now I have to learn me how to make some sturdier 1/4" jacks. Percussion sounds so nice coming through that filter...

+1 on the microbrute as well.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:23 pm

burned out on gear?
no way....you only burn yourself out by stressing your workflow and not trusting the creative process and whatever that entails.... I mean, all of it beyond synths. Gear is gear. However much you identify, depend or confide in a piece is....uh...personal. I tend to look at synths as like pigments and not like other instruments since none of them play as well as a finely made guitar or the ultimate: human voice, in the end. There is no perfect instrument, synths just have the broadest range in pitch and timbre - and playing them is still a clumsy endeavor overall compared to other instruments, generally.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:33 pm

meatballfulton wrote: Volcas are great $150 instruments, microBrute is a great $300 instrument, MS20 mini is a great $600 instrument, but they are not great instruments IMHO. Replacing common hardwired mod routings in favor of a few jacks and calling the resulting synth "semi modular" (microBrute, MS20) should be a crime :pissed:
but see...no synths that I've had are particularly great instruments - and that's different from feeling that the minimoog is a great synthesizer(which i do not).

in other words - a keyboard encourages a specific equal-tempered approach via the linear spread of note access. This arrangement is native to other instruments, but appear on synths almost by default as a way to make synths palatable to people used to other instruments.

OK - that said, i feel the volca keys gets certain sounds done as well or better than anything around at any price. Yeah it sucks to play it 'freely' as you would a full-featured instrument. But i'll be damned if that lil' fukkkker isn't the most vintage-sounding new (lousy)synth since the Andromeda when it does certain things like DUB reggae for days, wonderful blip-bloop patterns and a bitchin unison that's made me put off fixing the OB-Xa again
semi-modular is a stretch and i've never liked the word. as if you can replace half of it...
what an MS-20 is is patchable, just as an ARP2600 is but to a lesser extent, neither are modular even if the 2600 is encapsulated 'modules' 'round back i don't care - it's not modules that are added or removed to an open-ended system, bottom line.
PATCHABLE synth ftw.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies