arturia poly synth......when is the ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
corndogssg
Gear: v synth,little phatty2,jx10,kiwi106 jx305, jv2080x's8,k2600,ion,microQ,blofeld,evolver,tetra,x station,ultra nova,bass station2, jd990,minibrute
Band: sesame street gangsters

arturia poly synth......when is the ?

Post by corndogssg » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:56 am

I got a little phatty s2, and a bs2 and a monotribe with a midi kit. all 3 very great analog mono's each with their own ups and downs. but I recently picked up a minibrute as it was too cheap to pass up, and it sounds great. my friend who only plays digi synths and "in the box" had told me not to buy a minibrute as it don't do bass that well and it does everything else horrible. boy was he wrong. I just had him come over tonight and I showed him what I have done with it so far, with a little uhmf from a couple moogerfoogers. he was impressed although he still refuses to get into analog, wich is ok everyone has their own thing. but to me that minibrute is bad to the bone, so yeah I was thinking about getting another one when the price is right as I would love to play more than one note. s**t even buying 4 wouldn't break the bank. but I have a feeling arturia will be making a MAXIBRUTE a 4,6, or h**l yeah 8 voice poly synth. I am not saying it would be 8 minibrutes, but I think logically for them that is where they will head in the near future.

do you guys predict arturia to make a poly synth within the next 2 years? I have a feeling it's all ready being worked on. it seems the next logical step for that company.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: arturia poly synth......when is the ?

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:06 am

I'd like to see a two or three osc synth with a three octave keyboard first. Semi modular with three envelopes and two filters, why not?

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:11 am

It will be the standard response if they do build a poly… "Too expensive!"

As Stab has said, I would like a bigger keyboard version, 37/44 key.
You always want just one more Synth!

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:08 pm

Transitioning from simple (not digitally controlled) mono to (digitally controlled) poly is not as simple as it seems; it involves more than just "stacking" up the monos. I would be surprised if they did it anytime soon. I do hope so though... Not enough polys out there.

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:26 pm

I do think there is a cost thing when we are talking VCO poly as well. The price of the only available 8 voice VCO poly available at the moment is what, $5k? The other newer polysynths available with analogue filters are cheaper but all have been bashed for different reasons (DCO, digital oscillators, pricing etc), so the hope that Arturia could produce something in the price range that would keep most customers happy is wishful thinking.

You can go buy a new analogue poly at the moment if your desire is there, just be ready to either pay or face compromises ;)
You always want just one more Synth!

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:50 pm

I would definitely like to see one. Building a DCO poly is definitely easier than a VCO poly since keeping the voices matched/tuned becomes a more complicated endeavor with VCO tech. The firmware is a little more complicated since you have to manage polyphony/voice assignment and multiple instances of each voice but certainly not beyond Arturia's capability. You need more CPU power for calculating digital envelopes/LFO's, etc.

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:37 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:I'd like to see a two or three osc synth with a three octave keyboard first. Semi modular with three envelopes and two filters, why not?
Yeah...that would be really great. ;)
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:33 pm

Here's what you want:

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:14 pm

pflosi wrote:Transitioning from simple (not digitally controlled) mono to (digitally controlled) poly is not as simple as it seems; it involves more than just "stacking" up the monos. I would be surprised if they did it anytime soon. I do hope so though... Not enough polys out there.
I don't know, the Minibrute already has MIDI-to-CV and a polyphonic keyboard. All they'd have to do would be get the control signals from the knobs to multiple voices instead of one.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:19 pm

I'm putting money on Arturia developing an ana-poly as we speak. They've done the microbrute, so the only way is up really. And they've already nailed the pricepoint on the minibrute so I see no reason they can't extrapolate up into an inexpensive 4- or even 6-voice synth. There is absolutely the market for a cheap-ish, raw VCO-based ana-poly. If Arturia doesn't do it, I suspect Korg will, but I feel like Arturia will make a more interesting product.

I think they would do well to skip the 2/3-oscillator market for now. Between MFB, DSI and Moog, there's already plenty to choose from. But eventually I can see that being something they make.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:55 am

Sir Ruff wrote:They've done the microbrute, so the only way is up really.
No room for a nanobrute? ;) The mini and micro are already very feature rich, so technically, they COULD go down rather than up. Not saying they should, and I doubt they will.

I think we'll see a 2 VCO brute before they go poly. But I certainly think they CAN go poly. They already proved the naysayers wrong about making a cheap analog mono. I'm gonna put on my psychic hat and predict a 4 voice in the $1200 range.
You can't synthesize love

corndogssg
Gear: v synth,little phatty2,jx10,kiwi106 jx305, jv2080x's8,k2600,ion,microQ,blofeld,evolver,tetra,x station,ultra nova,bass station2, jd990,minibrute
Band: sesame street gangsters

Post by corndogssg » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:50 am

I think you are right, hey meatball, what was the 2nd pic you posted after the a4???

I think if arturia made a 3 octave 4 voice it would be a hit or a 4 octave with the choice to buy it in 4,6,or8 voice, or s**t even a desktop 4,6,8 voice, we all have plenty of keybeds to play from. I really like what they did with the mini. lol a nanobrute, now that just made me smile :D but look at that new "workshop" moog, and I never thought I would like my monotribe, but it's I guess a "nanoms20"

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:53 am

The second pic is a Vermona Perfourmer

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:16 pm

if they did make a poly along the same lines as the minibrute/microbrute, I'm pretty sure we would see less of the neato features that distinguish those models from similar monos.
It's easy to add something like metalizer when there is only the one voice. But 8?

I'd rather expect something closer to Elektrons approach of a basic analog architecture with a lot of other stuff going on in firmware to add bells and whistles like arpeggiator, weird LFOs or sequencing.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave