VSE Variations Competition - September 2014

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
AlanC3

VSE Variations Competition - September 2014

Post by AlanC3 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:12 pm

Following on from the "Switched On" competition, this one takes a concept from Classical music.

Play a theme, and (at least) two variations on that theme.
  • The theme can be anything you wish, in any style you like, as long as it's easily recognisable.
  • The variations can be as simple (different sounds) or as complex (based on the theme, in a different style) as you want to make them as long as the original theme is easily recognisable.
  • The whole thing should be one recording.
We'll let it run until 1st October, and see how we're doing then.

Oh, and no Paganini... ;)

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Re: VSE Variations Competition - September 2014

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:20 pm

wow on the lady doubling on flute and sax. Not common for the same chair to double on reed and woodwind is it?

I think I'll throw my hat in on this one. The huge project we had at my day job is wrapped up so I can start to live a normal life again.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:51 am

AlanC3 wrote:
  • The theme can be anything you wish, in any style you like, as long as it's easily recognisable.
  • The variations can be as simple (different sounds) or as complex (based on the theme, in a different style) as you want to make them as long as the original theme is easily recognisable.
  • The whole thing should be one recording.
Points 1 and 2 are quite clear but "one recording"? Are you meaning played in one take, or a single audio track with silence between variations (irrespective of how long it may take us to record each variation)?

Any restrictions on instruments?

And +1 on the Paganini ban!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.

AlanC3

Post by AlanC3 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:44 am

mpa1104 wrote:Points 1 and 2 are quite clear but "one recording"? Are you meaning played in one take, or a single audio track with silence between variations (irrespective of how long it may take us to record each variation)?
A single audio track, please.

You can put silence between the variations, or run them one into the next if you like.

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:47 am

I'm a bit confused.
AlanC3 wrote:Following on from the "Switched On" competition...
Does this mean variations on an already existing theme, or can we compose the theme that will run through each variation? Doing variations on my own work is something I've been playing around with a bit, so I'm eager to jump in if that's the case.
You can't synthesize love

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:22 am

Black Tomorrow wrote:Does this mean variations on an already existing theme, or can we compose the theme that will run through each variation? Doing variations on my own work is something I've been playing around with a bit, so I'm eager to jump in if that's the case.
Sounds like it could be either, if I'm reading the OP correctly.

And yeah, this is exactly nerdy enough for me to be on-board with :D
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

AlanC3

Post by AlanC3 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:49 pm

Black Tomorrow wrote:Does this mean variations on an already existing theme, or can we compose the theme that will run through each variation?
Yes, the theme can be your own composition. Anything you like, as long as the theme can be recognised in your variations. ;)

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:32 pm

This is what film composers do every day.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:43 am

CS_TBL wrote:This is what film composers do every day.
Which is why I find this competition appealing. I've already scored a few amateur films that a friend has shot.

Black Tomorrow

Post by Black Tomorrow » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:38 pm

Is this still running? Has a Soundcloud account been set up?

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:25 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:wow on the lady doubling on flute and sax. Not common for the same chair to double on reed and woodwind is it?
Well, first of all, "reed" and "woodwind" is virtually synonymous, with the exception of the flute I suppose. It's a woodwind, but not a "reed" per se. Secondly, yes, it is pretty common for the same person to play flute and sax. (see Men at Work for just one example). The reason? They have more or less the same fingerings! (not to mention both being woodwinds) It's not as simple as trumpet/baritone/tuba has it, but most woodwinds are darn close to one another. Clarinet is a bit of an odd man out, in that half of its notes don't correspond to fingerings on other non-clarinet horns (but the other half does!). Oboe is like sax too. etc, etc.

AlanC3

Post by AlanC3 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:14 pm

Black Tomorrow wrote:Is this still running? Has a Soundcloud account been set up?
Yes, but I think we're going to need to keep it going a bit longer because nobody has uploaded anything... :|

https://soundcloud.com/VSEVariations

PM me if you want the Soundcloud login details.

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:07 am

EmptySet wrote:
calaverasgrande wrote:wow on the lady doubling on flute and sax. Not common for the same chair to double on reed and woodwind is it?
Well, first of all, "reed" and "woodwind" is virtually synonymous, with the exception of the flute I suppose. It's a woodwind, but not a "reed" per se. Secondly, yes, it is pretty common for the same person to play flute and sax. (see Men at Work for just one example). The reason? They have more or less the same fingerings! (not to mention both being woodwinds) It's not as simple as trumpet/baritone/tuba has it, but most woodwinds are darn close to one another. Clarinet is a bit of an odd man out, in that half of its notes don't correspond to fingerings on other non-clarinet horns (but the other half does!). Oboe is like sax too. etc, etc.
That's pretty much what I was going to say when the questions came up before. Most Clarinet players can easily switch to Tenor sax because the fingerings on Clarinet's upper register is identical (I'm fairly sure - or at least, very similar) to the Tenor sax. I've had several students over the past years who can play flute and sax equally as well (I've also had quite a few who can play flute, sax and violin very well too. The Baritone player in our Big Band is also in the 1st violins in our Orchestra ... work that out!). Always wish I'd had to chance to play more instruments when I was their age - these days, I just have to borrow one from school and try it out myself (and fail)

Okay, Variations: I have done two on my selected theme and have plans for two, maybe three more - hope to be able to get them done soon (probably wishful thinking given my last attempts at the Switched on comp)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.

AlanC3

Post by AlanC3 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:40 pm

Right at the moment we have just one entry from Black Tomorrow.

I'd originally set the end date for 1st October, but I think that needs to be extended. So I'll set the new date for two weeks from today, 21st October, to give anyone working on an entry a date to aim for. ;)

C'mon folks... please save our one entrant from the embarrassment of winning by default!

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, Pro-One, Juno-60, JX-3P, AX80, SQ80, AN1x, DX100, DX7E!, DX7IIFDE!, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Drumtraks, TR-08 and Eurorack

Post by Swayze » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:28 am

I was just thinking how great a competition would be right now and then remembered about this one. Haven't heard any news for a while and it's been a month since the last deadline...any more entries to speak of?