Synthesist Deathmatch round 1

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Who dies?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:59 am

Yanni
22%
Wendy Carlos
4%
Vangelis
4%
Jordan Rudess
15%
Keith Emerson
8%
Deadmau5
19%
Thomas Dolby
4%
Rick Wakeman
7%
Vince Clarke
4%
Jean Michel Jarre
3%
Tony Banks
3%
Edgar Froese
7%

Total votes: 165

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Re: Synthesist Deathmatch round 1

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:14 am

Yanni always dies. Always. What a wasted wall of synths.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:18 am

monolith wrote:Wow people really hate deadmau5. I thought it was just a gearcuntz jealousy thing. I've never even heard his music before. Synth forums are the only place I even hear mention of him.
I actually saw him in person at the electric run last year in philly. He was about 30 yards or so away, talking to a few people. He had that stupid mask. I think it was a promotional thing for him. Taller than I expected... I had half a mind to introduce myself - just to meet someone famous, you know? - but decided it would be too much effort.

As an aside, I certainly don't hate him, and I'm not sure what he has or does that I would be jealous of, without being jealous of everyone that made it famous with synths. Musically my impression coming away from his work is boredom, and the image that he's chosen does not appeal to me. So, naturally, I would encourage Vince Clarke or Yanni to brutaly annihilate him in the battle royale. 8-)
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, DX7, TX7, Juno-106, AX60, Pro One, S1000, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:49 am

JMJ.

Hate his music.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:05 am

ninja6485 wrote:I would encourage Vince Clarke or Yanni to brutaly annihilate him in the battle royale.
What I would love to see is Yanni get destroyed by Vangelis...hot Greek on Greek action...
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:29 am

ninja6485 wrote:
monolith wrote:Wow people really hate deadmau5. I thought it was just a gearcuntz jealousy thing. I've never even heard his music before. Synth forums are the only place I even hear mention of him.
I actually saw him in person at the electric run last year in philly. He was about 30 yards or so away, talking to a few people. He had that stupid mask. I think it was a promotional thing for him. Taller than I expected... I had half a mind to introduce myself - just to meet someone famous, you know? - but decided it would be too much effort.

As an aside, I certainly don't hate him, and I'm not sure what he has or does that I would be jealous of, without being jealous of everyone that made it famous with synths. Musically my impression coming away from his work is boredom, and the image that he's chosen does not appeal to me. So, naturally, I would encourage Vince Clarke or Yanni to brutaly annihilate him in the battle royale. 8-)
I wasn't implying you were jealous of him, but rather everyone one at gearslutz seems to be. I didn't check out his music but watched one of these coffee run videos he has on youtube, seems like an okay guy - he's welcome to beat up Jarre, Emerson and Rudess at least. :mrgreen:

Who the f**k is Yanni?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:55 am

monolith wrote:Who the f**k is Yanni?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:59 am

yanni is like a Greek Julio Iglesias, the master of cheese and sappy love songs to woo women in their 40s. And he (ab)uses a shitton if synths in his seduction rituals.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:04 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
monolith wrote:Who the f**k is Yanni?
That moustache alone deserves severe punishment, as does Emerson's Moog abuse and Wakeman's wankery.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Reginator
Gear: Korg: ARP Odyssey/MS-20 Kit, TTSH: Ver.1/Ver.2, ARP 1601 Sequencer (DIY), Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland: JP-8080/MC-505
Band: Reginator

Post by Reginator » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:19 am

Too bad we can't put Steve Vai, Michael Bolton and Fabio in there with Yanni...winner gets a can of hairspray.

*hate to admit but I watched Yanni on tv back in his heyday - i was scarred for life.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:33 pm

OT: Fabio is a funny, personable guy. He came round to a station I was working at on some promotional tour one time and really seemed to be just enjoying the ride. He thought it was hilarious that he had gotten so far just by posing for the covers of romance novels. We should all be so lucky!

And what's wrong with women in their 40's? Some of us aren't exactly spring chickens anymore! :lol:

Does Yanni still have his own hair?

EDIT: Uhh ... never mind. For some reason I just searched and got this: http://www.yanni.com He's actually still playing live! I had no idea ...
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

implant

Post by implant » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:27 pm

Walter Ego wrote:
ninja6485 wrote:I would encourage Vince Clarke or Yanni to brutaly annihilate him in the battle royale.
What I would love to see is Yanni get destroyed by Vangelis...hot Greek on Greek action...
LMFAO!!! Yeah while Yanni is being "destroyed" by Vangelis they can take smoke breaks and offer mustache rides.
Would be great if they could all bring one synth to the Deathmatch as a weapon.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:40 pm

On the other hand, Vangelis has a great beard, so it would be beard against mustache.

Besides using synths as a weapon would be unfair, Vangelis would just bring one of his CS-80 and win everything.

And Emerson would throw modulars synths around the arena.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:47 pm

The voting turn out tells me VSE cares more about killing famous musicians than listening to each other's music.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:51 pm

Of course. Kill everyone that is famous so the indies can break through!

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:37 pm

Tough battle between Wakeman and Emerson for kill N° 4