KORG SIX new exclusive products---new Electribes

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Re: KORG SIX new exclusive products

Post by StepLogik » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:12 pm

Blue Monster 65 wrote:$399 is supposed to be the price for the Electribes.
That would be impressive if true. Seems low to me...

That price would also further drive down the second-hand price of older electribes as well.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:20 pm

rob_lee wrote:What? No P-Locks pfffff
Motion sequences = P-locks

Why does every mfr have to call it something different :?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:21 pm

Looking closer at the specs of the new Electribe this morning, along with their marketing scheme, I'm thinking it really is meant to be used in close quarters with Live. That kind of puts a damper on it for me, though it probably shouldn't. 200 preset patterns and only 50 user? Even with USB and and SD card, that's kind of overkill, isn't it? And the first line on the page is "Change your "LIVE" style" (emphasis mine). As usual, I'll have to give it a spin a few times before I make a final decision on it, but I'm not as revved about it as I was late last night.

Lower prices on used EMX SD models wouldn't bother me any - I'd put a couple of them in storage for backup! :D
Last edited by Blue Monster 65 on Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:34 pm

Hmm, Looks like the Sampler version will have to cost more since it seems to have the synth engine as well.

No manuals yet...not 100% clear that the 200 patterns can be overwritten as on earlier Tribes. Also curious about the USB features esp. with Live.

As a Live user I'm actually interested in this.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:37 pm

Synth engine in the sampler, eh? Didn't see that. That does sound cool; perhaps like the RYTM?
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

mute

Post by mute » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:33 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
rob_lee wrote:What? No P-Locks pfffff
Motion sequences = P-locks

Why does every mfr have to call it something different :?
its not the same thing.. i have an esx, which until these 2 new models has the most 'advanced' motion sequencing of all the electribes (along with the emx). motion sequencing is just automation recording that can be turned on/off by pressing a button. plock can be used to do multiple things, but most notably what sets it apart from motion sequencing is the ability to change the values per part and still have total recall of the previous settings..nevermind that you can also do that per-step per-part on the fly during performance. also, the step edit fuctions on the older electribes leave alot to be desired...hope they at least addressed that.
Last edited by mute on Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:36 pm

As cheesy as the clip hit thing is, I really want something that does this (If there isn't already?). I want to be able to tap my desk at work when i'm bored and write beats using samples I have made, not stock drum samples. With decent velocity response too.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:38 pm

Yeah, Korg Motion sequence is like recording knob movements on the Elektrons but Motion sequences record the motion not just capturing the parameter at the time of the trig hit. Different all together. Both fun and useful though.

rob_lee
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rob_lee » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:23 pm

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:57 pm

Hopefully I'll change my mind when more details are released, but as of right now I'm pretty disappointed with the new electribes. Integration with software usually means that you need to use the software to fully exploit the machines potential and I don't use Live. They also look to be cheaply constructed plastic. I was hoping for something closer in concept and design to previous electribes but more advanced and better built. Time will tell.

EDIT:Supposedly these are made of die cast zinc and all functionality is available standalone. The Ableton Live integration is just a bonus..
Last edited by supermel74 on Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:30 pm

Electribe demos (6 tracks)

Die-cast zinc chassis, Mel.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:38 pm

It looks similar enough in concept to past Tribes I've owned. At least the EG has an attack stage now ;) and the engine is polyphonic. Touchpad is a plus.

Saw a post elsewhere that Korg Germany has the price at 475EU (MSRP? street?)

Motion sequencing isn't identical to P-locks but both are automation. While you could smooth them for playback, the motion sequences on both my EA-1 and Radias were stepped.

Yamaha has called it Free EG and User LFO on their products, I suppose Roland calls it something else.

Zinc? That helps pevent colds! :mrgreen:

Volca Sample demo!!!

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:59 pm

Damn and after I just picked up four first generation electribes. I couldn't care less about the plastic to metal ratio, but I'm still very cautious about korg products after the knob jitter fiasco with the emx/esx. Heres hoping korg doesn't drop the ball a second time.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

mute

Post by mute » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:45 pm

the knob jitter wasn't all that wide spread.. i used to regular korgforums, half the ppl that had the issue were just filthy owners. I akin the complaints about that to the complaints about noise on the ms20 (e.g. uninformed people rushing to judgement). its nothing to be scared about when looking @ esx/emx..specially when the 2nd hand prices drops on those because of these. the blown fuse issue however, _is_ a concern and if i was buying a used one I would specifically ask about it. mine blew on my esx and i just bypassed it and haven't had an issue since.

anyways, i look forward to getting rid of my esx and buying the new sampler to go with my synths, volcas, spark le, and beatstep. good times ahead! (unless of course, after more details this somehow turns out to be a letdown..but looks good so far).

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:13 pm

mute wrote:the knob jitter wasn't all that wide spread.. i used to regular korgforums, half the ppl that had the issue were just filthy owners. I akin the complaints about that to the complaints about noise on the ms20 (e.g. uninformed people rushing to judgement). its nothing to be scared about when looking @ esx/emx..specially when the 2nd hand prices drops on those because of these. the blown fuse issue however, _is_ a concern and if i was buying a used one I would specifically ask about it. mine blew on my esx and i just bypassed it and haven't had an issue since.

anyways, i look forward to getting rid of my esx and buying the new sampler to go with my synths, volcas, spark le, and beatstep. good times ahead! (unless of course, after more details this somehow turns out to be a letdown..but looks good so far).
Some people managed to the fix the knob jitter issue by putting baking sheets between the two of the PCBs, so it wasn't simply a matter of improper storage and usage.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.