KORG SIX new exclusive products---new Electribes

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: KORG SIX new exclusive products

Post by JSRockit » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:38 pm

Korg is pricing these well though... I'm interested.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

mute

Post by mute » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:50 pm

lol... there is also this...sigh, korg..they're an entertaining company :)

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:29 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Jabberwalky wrote:I really like that Electribe Sampler, but no midi?? That kinda sucks.
Its got midi in and out.
Ah ok, you mean through the USB. I'm not one to complain about something I've wanted for years, but I suppose midi din is dying quicker than I'd like.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:41 pm

The new Tribe has MIDI over 1/8" jacks with adapter cables, looks like that's going to be the new standard seeing how many devices are doing that today. WTF were the other pins on that DIN plug for anyway?

In other news, the Ableton Live export is not only for the Tribe but also Gadget and iKaossilator v3 (you'll also get a code for a free copy of Live Lite 9)...except you'll need iOS7 for those.

Of course as a Live user my Ipod Touch with iKaossilator v2 installed is too old to support iOS7 :banghead: I'm done with iOS apps as of today :pissed:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

mute

Post by mute » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:45 pm

meatballfulton wrote:The new Tribe has MIDI over 1/8" jacks with adapter cables, looks like that's going to be the new standard seeing how many devices are doing that today. WTF were the other pins on that DIN plug for anyway?
Yeah, what he said... see this pic:
In other news, the Ableton Live export is not only for the Tribe but also Gadget and iKaossilator v3 (you'll also get a code for a free copy of Live Lite 9)...except you'll need iOS7 for those.

Of course as a Live user my Ipod Touch with iKaossilator v2 installed is too old to support iOS7 :banghead: I'm done with iOS apps as of today :pissed:
I am done with Apple products. I'm not liking this iOS-only Korg stuff at all. The apps/synths were one thing, but tied directly to the hardware? :( It specifically means to me, "Korg hardware I will absolutely not buy"...instead of "Korg hardware I would most likely have bought".

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:25 pm

I bought the iPod a couple of years ago because I was piling up lots of dl'ed music on my harddrive and was tried of burning CDs so I could listen to it. I connected laptops to my stereo but that was a PITA so I gave in and bought an iPod and dock to connect to my stereo as an mp3 player. It rarely leaves the living room.

I got seduced into trying a few music apps, including iKaossilator v2 but I found making music on the iPod useless. The v3 update (free) sounded great though, export loops as Live clips...now I might actually use it for something! Except to use v3 I have to upgrade my hardware (pay $$$$$ to run a $10 app?). Epic fail. For the price of a new iPod I can get an Electribe instead :? My iPod will continue to function just fine as an mp3 player so that's how I will continue to use it.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:08 am

Slightly OT: wasn't there supposed to be some reason for the five pins on a midi cable? Some extra functionality that's been left behind? I thought I'd heard thar years ago (late '80's).
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:02 am

nuketifromorbit wrote:
mute wrote:the knob jitter wasn't all that wide spread.. i used to regular korgforums, half the ppl that had the issue were just filthy owners. I akin the complaints about that to the complaints about noise on the ms20 (e.g. uninformed people rushing to judgement). its nothing to be scared about when looking @ esx/emx..specially when the 2nd hand prices drops on those because of these. the blown fuse issue however, _is_ a concern and if i was buying a used one I would specifically ask about it. mine blew on my esx and i just bypassed it and haven't had an issue since.

anyways, i look forward to getting rid of my esx and buying the new sampler to go with my synths, volcas, spark le, and beatstep. good times ahead! (unless of course, after more details this somehow turns out to be a letdown..but looks good so far).
Some people managed to the fix the knob jitter issue by putting baking sheets between the two of the PCBs, so it wasn't simply a matter of improper storage and usage.
I did the baking sheet fix to my ESX. I bought at least 4 EMX/ESX units brand new about a year after they came out and ALL of them had jitter within a few hours use. The knob jitter on EMX/ESX machines was definitely not due to user abuse.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:36 am

mute wrote:lol... there is also this...sigh, korg..they're an entertaining company :)

thats the first one of these new Korg products I want!

But then I think stuff like this is keen
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:49 am

new Electribes! Me wanna! I´ve owned each one of them, at the end, I kept only the ESX-1.
but only one model? Any hope to get a new version of the ESX-1??
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

simesky
Band: United Simesky Institutes

Post by simesky » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:57 am

Why the iOS c**p Korg, why? I can already imagine the marketing meeting that went with this : "Hey, do you have the report on that target group? Well yes, I cross checked the hipster-o-meter. It says all musicians that are hip own Apple products, so we should definetely go with that. Also, PC owners are dinosaur douche bags."

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:22 am

There are two models, Balma.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:44 am

Blue Monster 65 wrote:Slightly OT: wasn't there supposed to be some reason for the five pins on a midi cable? Some extra functionality that's been left behind? I thought I'd heard thar years ago (late '80's).
The unused pins were reserved for future functionality, but as midi is still at v1.0 they haven't done anything with them yet.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:29 am

I still use my ESmk2 as a rhythm overlay with the MD but I got rid of the ESX. It was in ways amazing and so much more advanced than the ESmk2 but loading samples was laborious and the noise put me off. Granted you can tame it but I just got it in my head and turned it on less and less.
I do hate the genre examples korg always use though, enough to put me off even the most amazing products ha.
I won't have room for these but if they are as versatile as the ESX then these will be a success.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:37 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Blue Monster 65 wrote:Slightly OT: wasn't there supposed to be some reason for the five pins on a midi cable? Some extra functionality that's been left behind? I thought I'd heard thar years ago (late '80's).
The unused pins were reserved for future functionality, but as midi is still at v1.0 they haven't done anything with them yet.
I always had the impression the main reason was that din plugs are cheap as chips...?