KORG SIX new exclusive products---new Electribes

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Re: KORG SIX new exclusive products

Post by fh991586 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:09 am

It can't be a niche product if Korg is endorsing this! But why they endorse it if it's not readily available?
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:50 am

even din sync doesn't use all the pins. And 'phantom power' for keytars and such that use midi usually happens with SEVEN pin din. So yeah, dubbayoo tee eff.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:53 am

StepLogik wrote:
fh991586 wrote:Where do you get those TRS-Midi cables? I've never seen them anywhere!
I don't think anyone makes them since they are such a niche product. You would probably have to make them yourself. Fortunately, that isn't too difficult.

Midi to XLR: http://eventhorizon-srv.com/ecommerce/o ... ts_id=3944
Interestingly the Octave Plateau Voyetra 8 used XLR connectors for MIDI instead of 5 pin DIN connectors.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:21 am

fh991586 wrote:Where do you get those TRS-Midi cables? I've never seen them anywhere!
They are included with the Electribes, it says it right there on the Korg website. The Beatstep also comes with one of them.

What I'm interested I finding out is if midi will run fine over a minijack to minijack cable, I don't see why not. Cut out the whole din thing altogether in an all-Electribe setup.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:41 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
They are included with the Electribes, it says it right there on the Korg website. The Beatstep also comes with one of them.

What I'm interested I finding out is if midi will run fine over a minijack to minijack cable, I don't see why not. Cut out the whole din thing altogether in an all-Electribe setup.
It should work, especially among same manufacturers. Assuming others manufacturers use the same TRS scheme then devices from different manufacturers should work together as well. MIDI is polarity sensitive since it drives an optocoupler on the IN ports.

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:49 am

Blue Monster 65 wrote:
Kidney05 wrote:
Blue Monster 65 wrote:Just got the word that current ETA on the Electribe (not the sampler version) is November and US price is $399.
Do you have a secret source? I hope the sampler isn't later than that.
I used to be a Korg dealer, so I still talk to some people.
Have you heard anything on the ETA and pricing for the Volca Sample?

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:29 am

I'm excited about the Volca Sampler the most. The specs say it contains 100 preset samples, but ALL of them can be replaced with ones of your own. This means you can probably cram at least 10 different vintage drum machine sound sets into this thing and jam out TR style with them all. A Linn Drum and DMX that fits right in my pocket! I'll be jamming out to "When Doves Cry" beats on my lunch breaks.

This better have a program for uploading samples from Windows and Apple home computers. The whole iPhone/iPad application is the one thing that will hold me back from buying it if it's the only method for doing so.

salwa

Post by salwa » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:56 am

Volca Samler looks like strange product. Ommision of sampling in sampler is in my book cardinal sin. Putting aside that you must have some third party product (not a cheap one), it takes immediacy and fun out of this machine. It's hard to belive, that simple "Sample in" would add that much to price. For me this is half-baked product, something between a preset toy and proper instrument. I'll stay with my SK's and VSS (not that i can afford Volca - well beyond my budget - but I'm not gonna even try).
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

fh991586
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:46 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Ok, but we all know what happens with cables included in a package like this: they get seperated easily (lost, broken, etc.), and the fact that it's a portable device will make it even worst on the long end when they'll hit the used market!
StepLogik wrote:It should work, especially among same manufacturers. Assuming others manufacturers use the same TRS scheme then devices from different manufacturers should work together as well. MIDI is polarity sensitive since it drives an optocoupler on the IN ports.
There's a potential problem there: midi is standard, but if the companies decide to switch to this TRS type, who's to make sure there will be a standard in the process? You should not have to worry about who made the cable! That's not right...
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

salwa

Post by salwa » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:25 pm

I may be wrong, but from my (limited, indeed) experience making your own midi-trs cable shouldn't be a problem. Just some soldering, I think.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:29 pm

Yep, MIDI over TRS are doable. I made some years ago for a makeshift MIDI patchbay (passive) using jack and minijack plugs. They worked pretty well, even with my c**p soldering. The most important thing of course is to be consistent with your wiring. For the sake of simplicity, I used to do them in their respective "orders of appearance".
Pin 2 = Tip, Pin 4 = Ring, Pin 5 = Sleeve
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.

fh991586
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:23 pm

However simple it may seems, not everyone owns a soldering iron nor has soldering skills. If I was able/enclined to do it myself, I would not write on the subject!

It's like you would be arguing over changing yourself the oil on your car: even if it's a simple task, not everyone does it, or is willing to try it!
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:48 am

salwa wrote:Volca Samler looks like strange product. Ommision of sampling in sampler is in my book cardinal sin. Putting aside that you must have some third party product (not a cheap one), it takes immediacy and fun out of this machine. It's hard to belive, that simple "Sample in" would add that much to price. For me this is half-baked product, something between a preset toy and proper instrument. I'll stay with my SK's and VSS (not that i can afford Volca - well beyond my budget - but I'm not gonna even try).
I agree with the fact that the lack of direct sampling is a big flaw, but I guess this why they chose the name "Volca Sample" and not "Volca Sampler". From my point of view, it seems like they are aiming to be similar to the Akai MPX8, where it's simple a sample playback device. I actually have an MPX8 and think it's great, but I'm certain that it flopped because the process of loading samples would frustrate anyone who isn't tech savvy. This is why Akai is coming out with an upgraded version where sampling can be done directly.

BUT... I wouldn't call this a toy just yet. If they can address the issue of needing an iOS device to import new samples, this just might redeem it somewhat. The biggest complaint on the internet so far has been against the iOS app as opposed to direct sampling, so if they made a Windows/OS X editor, it will still just as useful as then MPX8. In fact, the MPX8 has no sequencer whatsoever, so the Volca Sample is already one step above it... but that's only if sample loading isn't iOS only.

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Post by JayEm » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:16 am

Re-Member wrote:
BUT... I wouldn't call this a toy just yet. If they can address the issue of needing an iOS device to import new samples, this just might redeem it somewhat. The biggest complaint on the internet so far has been against the iOS app as opposed to direct sampling, so if they made a Windows/OS X editor, it will still just as useful as then MPX8. In fact, the MPX8 has no sequencer whatsoever, so the Volca Sample is already one step above it... but that's only if sample loading isn't iOS only.
It's worse than a toy! The whole iOS thing basically makes it useless. But I agree with the rest of your statement, internal sampling hasn't been the biggest complaint, but the lack of choice regarding how you manage your samples. It's just frustrating to see a product that has a kind of no-brainer quality to it get crippled from the start by something so dumb as tying it to f**k Apple hardware. Its like the first iPod, amazing design but only worked with Macs (at the time)
w00t

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:13 am

fh991586 wrote:However simple it may seems, not everyone owns a soldering iron nor has soldering skills. If I was able/enclined to do it myself, I would not write on the subject!

It's like you would be arguing over changing yourself the oil on your car: even if it's a simple task, not everyone does it, or is willing to try it!
If you feel like you're the kind of person who will immediately lose those adaptor cables, and you have no inclination to learn to make your own then I guess the only options you have left will be to not buy one. Or to order one from the korg spare parts department. Or to order one from arturia. Or to buy one on eBay. Or to pay somebody else to make you one. Either way you're probably not screwed, and it shouldn't actually be too hard not to lose them.