KORG SIX new exclusive products---new Electribes

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
salwa

Re: KORG SIX new exclusive products

Post by salwa » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:49 am

Re-Member wrote:
salwa wrote:Volca Samler looks like strange product. Ommision of sampling in sampler is in my book cardinal sin. Putting aside that you must have some third party product (not a cheap one), it takes immediacy and fun out of this machine. It's hard to belive, that simple "Sample in" would add that much to price. For me this is half-baked product, something between a preset toy and proper instrument. I'll stay with my SK's and VSS (not that i can afford Volca - well beyond my budget - but I'm not gonna even try).
I agree with the fact that the lack of direct sampling is a big flaw, but I guess this why they chose the name "Volca Sample" and not "Volca Sampler". From my point of view, it seems like they are aiming to be similar to the Akai MPX8, where it's simple a sample playback device. I actually have an MPX8 and think it's great, but I'm certain that it flopped because the process of loading samples would frustrate anyone who isn't tech savvy. This is why Akai is coming out with an upgraded version where sampling can be done directly.

BUT... I wouldn't call this a toy just yet. If they can address the issue of needing an iOS device to import new samples, this just might redeem it somewhat. The biggest complaint on the internet so far has been against the iOS app as opposed to direct sampling, so if they made a Windows/OS X editor, it will still just as useful as then MPX8. In fact, the MPX8 has no sequencer whatsoever, so the Volca Sample is already one step above it... but that's only if sample loading isn't iOS only.
Yes, you're probably right - Volca is hardware equivalent of many VST sample players. But lack of (direct) sampling seems to me like lost opportunity. And the iOS app - it's just unfair to choose only one OS, the one which (as I heard) has problems with backward compatibility. But the main problem I see here is tying VS to computer, making it half-standalone instrument (I know, without computer it will probably be bigger and cost more, but still). I just have visions of today's Apple products being Kaypro II of the future :)
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:39 pm

I doubt the iOS app in quetion will be the only way to send the Volca Sample ... Samples . It might be the only official app Korg release for it , but it won't be magical . It will send midi cc or nrpn or most likely sysex commands to the unit to write data and then you will transfer them in whatever method ( wonder if it's over midi / SMDI ? ) . I figure you will be able to do this with anything else , but I guess you never know .

I'm more interested to find out if the electribe units will sequince external gear ( as in separate , definable midi channels per part ) and what they mean by pseudo poly ?
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:49 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote: If you feel like you're the kind of person who will immediately lose those adaptor cables, and you have no inclination to learn to make your own then I guess the only options you have left will be to not buy one. Or to order one from the korg spare parts department. Or to order one from arturia. Or to buy one on eBay. Or to pay somebody else to make you one. Either way you're probably not screwed, and it shouldn't actually be too hard not to lose them.
Your are missing my point, and being condescendant about the learning part (or the losing cable issue: have you no experience in second hand gear?!?). Is this board becoming the Vintage Soldering Explorer now?

Midi is a standard. Using TRS plug for midi isn't. This is a big step taken by a major manufacturer (not a niche product maker) and it must regarded as either bold or stupid, not just passed over like it's nothing.

I know I'm not the target client for this precise product, but I want to know if it's becoming a trend.
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:57 pm

Yes - it's becoming a trend. Arturia, Korg, Akai, TE and others have at least spec'd it out if not implemented these types of jacks on recent releases.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:03 pm

Thank you for this precise and objective information. Until this Korg subject, I had never seen this thing... Then I guess manufacturers will make more of these new cables, and they will become common items in the future.
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

sourwookie
Gear: ARP Solus, Roland SH-201, Korg MS2000, Nord Electro 3, Volca Keys and Beats,Roland Juno D

Post by sourwookie » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:57 pm

If several of the pins on a legacy 5 pin MIDI cable are never used, and the new cable format allows for smaller form factors, then I am not bothered by it, especially if TRS cables are cheaper to manufacture. If you start to link devices with TRS on both ends, so much the better as those cables are already ubiquitous. This may be the type of shift with the same attendant moaning and bitching you saw when Apple walked away from the floppy disk.

mute

Post by mute » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:12 am

i would rather have products include the trs/midi adapter breakout cables rather that just including usb and no physical midi output; which is where we have been for many years now on new products/gadgets. i like the trend.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:23 am

mute wrote:i would rather have products include the trs/midi adapter breakout cables rather that just including usb and no physical midi output; which is where we have been for many years now on new products/gadgets. i like the trend.
Yes indeed. If the microbrute had a minijack midi output it would be much more useful. The signal is there on the circuit board and you can mod it easily but it doesn't appear in the production version. This is a good trend and I'm glad some people recognise that.

I can particularly deal with a non-standard midi connector when it means that analogue sync in and out is included too. :D
Last edited by Stab Frenzy on Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:29 am

SAMPLING FREQUENCY: 31.25 kHZ, 16 bit

Really, in 2014 you can't put even 44.1/16 into a little box like this? Come on.

This is pretty much an Electribe-S Nano.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:36 am

elsongs wrote:SAMPLING FREQUENCY: 31.25 kHZ, 16 bit

Really, in 2014 you can't put even 44.1/16 into a little box like this? Come on.

This is pretty much an Electribe-S Nano.
Of course it is, it's a Volca. :idea:

Volcas are very cheap toys, you should be amazed that they managed to get so much sample time into such a tiny box rather than complaining that it's not gonna reproduce those overtones that exist in the 16kHz to 20kHz range that nobody over the age of 16 can hear anyway. :P

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:07 pm

Crappy audio, SonicState Electribe video from Korg booth at BPM show (UK?)

USB: MIDI only
SD card: Ableton sets including audio
It's got lights underneath!
Kaoss FX can treat external audio

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:42 pm

So some good news ( at least to me ) I wrote in to Korg support with a couple questions ....
the electribe's parts are all on separate midi channels or can be .
Also though the synth engine has a poly limit of 4 voices per track or part the actual midi data in and out is not limited to 4 notes or anything like that .
So this might just be the hardware sequencer many of us ( myself included ) have been looking for !

Serious G.A.S. Here :oops:
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

Alphacode

Post by Alphacode » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:20 pm

loungedumore wrote:So some good news ( at least to me ) I wrote in to Korg support with a couple questions ....
Also though the synth engine has a poly limit of 4 voices per track or part the actual midi data in and out is not limited to 4 notes or anything like that .
So this might just be the hardware sequencer many of us ( myself included ) have been looking for !

Serious G.A.S. Here :oops:
This is indeed great news and something i was wondering myself, If only now the Electribe sampler can sample stuff realtime while playing then both will replace my ableton setup for sure . Way to go Korg , best company ever!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:34 pm

the volca line is supposed to be "shitty" so that it can be kept super cheap. It's not a Fairlight CMI and wasn't intended to be.

groy

Post by groy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:11 pm

loungedumore wrote:So some good news ( at least to me ) I wrote in to Korg support with a couple questions ....
Huh, this is really cool if this is true. Even 4 voices per track is a massive step up from the existing electribes. Do you know if it'll transmit velocity?