Synthesist Deathmatch round 2

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Who dies?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:48 am

Edgar Froese
14%
Tony Banks
16%
Jean Michel Jarre
12%
Vince Clarke
7%
Rick Wakeman
15%
Thomas Dolby
13%
Vangelis
8%
Wendy Carlos
16%

Total votes: 173

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Synthesist Deathmatch round 2

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:48 am

OK, the results are in from round one.

Surprising nobody at all Yanni bit the dust with 22% of the vote. Coming in second was the guy everybody on the internet loves to hate: Deadmaufive. In third place serial shill Jordan Rudess proved he's not as well endorsed as the products that he loves to recommend. The final deathspot was a close one between three gentleman who had their heyday in the 70s, but Keith Emerson managed to sneak through and die a glorious round one death.

So round two sees eight contestants, half of whom will live and half will die. To remove any chance of bias they're going in in the reverse order of round one:

First up with have teutonic plinky-plonker Edgar Froese.
Next we have a guy who decided that despite what anyone else said or did, Genesis was a band that he wanted to stay in, it's Mr Tony Banks.
Jean Michel Jarre managed to make it through a round that was tough on those with long hair and a new-age bent, will he survive round 2?
Avuncular Englishman Vince Clarke seems to be a bit of a favourite, possibly due to him not doing anything even slightly controversial in his life.
Rick Wakeman is just scraped in to this round, will his cape and ribbon controller routine be enough to make it through?
Thomas Dolby kept his head down and made it out of round one without anybody noticing him, much like he did with the 1980s.
Vangelis flies the flag for Greece after the spectacular exit of his countryman Yanni, will VSE's perpetual love for the Bladerunner soundtrack carry him through?
Finally Wendy Carlos made it through, and I can't think of a funny 'switched on' pun right now.

Let the voting begin!

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Synthesist Deathmatch round 2

Post by monolith » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:39 am

Is it strange that I can't stand Emerson/ELP but love Wakeman/Yes ?

Wakeman's solo stuff is arguably the most pompous thing ever, but he kept it pretty tasteful in Yes, and seems like he'd be a good for a beer and a yarn.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:31 am

I'd like Tony Banks and Edgar Froese go against eachother to see who bores the other to death first.

It could be an epic battle lasting AT least 10 days. And I threw Wendy Carlos in just for the heck of it. Simply cos I can't think of any puns about "switched-on" either.

Jarre might be on top for the moment, but he defeats everyone with his laser harp so I'm not worried.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:15 pm

O gawd, 4 is tough. I did 3. This is very funny! I got seriously conflicted LOL!

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:23 pm

This list needs more Larry Fast. And Billy Corgan. :lol:
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:59 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote: Rick Wakeman is just scraped in to this round, will his cape and ribbon controller routine be enough to make it through?
Wakeman indeed had the cape, but the man with the slightly suspect ribbon controller moves was Emerson
</pedant>
I quite like the Fast, Corgan suggestion just to bolster things up a bit. Maybe throw in some Corea and Mays as well :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:57 pm

You could add Geoff Downes as well another monster wall of synths guy. Love the Buggles and his era of Yes though.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:34 pm

I almost want to say Tony Banks for helping ruin Genesis, but he did too much of the work in making it wonderful to begin with to come out with a negative balance. Rick Wakeman, contrariwise, seems to need to be dragged kicking and screaming into being awesome by his Yes bandmates, but he's too good when he actually is good to vote him out. Vangelis is tempting for nearly everything he's ever done (and for scoring a WWII-era athletic drama with something more like third-rate late-'80s "uplifting" Christian-contemporary in particular,) but man, that Blade Runner soundtrack...

Guess I'll pick on Thomas Dolby. "She Blinded Me With Science" falls criminally short as a mad-science song anyway.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:40 pm

You can't add any more, this is round 2. We'll have to have another match :)

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:56 pm

I've got a feeling Vince Clarke is going to win this match. I'm definitely okay with that. :D
Comparison is the thief of joy.

chimney chop
Band: boxc, cigarettes after sex

Post by chimney chop » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:54 pm

Kenneth wrote:I've got a feeling Vince Clarke is going to win this match. I'm definitely okay with that. :D
Vince Clarke is amazing.

actually, all these people are in one way or another.

i guess i don't get this thread/poll

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:55 pm

It's not about hating, it's more in the spirit of old childhood discussions like "Who would win, Godzilla or T-Rex from Jurassic Park?"

Both are awesome monsters, who would win according to their specific traits and flaws?
Emerson has walls of huge modular systems and a seemingly endless supply of money, so he can throw them around.
Wakeman has (probably) dozens of minimoogs lying around his garden, could that make up for the size of the modulars of Emerson? Size doesn't always matter you know.

Would JM Jarrre's Laserharp be able to keep Wakeman's wizard solo spells at bay?
That's the point of this thread. Not stating who you hate the most for being more successful than yourself.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:03 pm

I don't hate anybody for being more successful than myself.

For being boring hacks, though, that's a different matter.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:10 am

Dammit...I had to throw JMJ under the bus. And after I finally listened to Oxygene...

Hmm...for me that leaves Carlos, Clarke, Papathanassiou and Dolby...

Unfortunately Dolby must die. If it comes down to it.

I don't know of any sane synth enthusiast (hmm) who would knock Carlos for being boring if they listened to the Clockwork Orange soundtrack on vinyl through a well balanced component system. It's beautiful.

Also...this deathmatch is one of the best ideas I've ever seen on this forum. Tons o' fun!
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:25 am

You NEARLY made the mistake of implying there are sane synth enthusiasts. Good save.