AKAI AX60 Questions

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
JHatzia

AKAI AX60 Questions

Post by JHatzia » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:50 pm

Hey y'all. Just recently picked up an Akai AX-60 for what I felt was a deal ($420). It's in great condition, all the keys work and everything seems to work fine. There is one missing and one half fader cap (any leads to find replacements would be awesome). I mainly have two questions.

1. I'm reading the service manual to calibrate the synth, and in the first step it asks to adjust VR1 on the Power Supply PCB. For whatever reason mine is missing this trimmer. Was this missing from certain models of the AX60?

2. I'd like to restore the factory presets either through the Tape In or MIDI but I can't seem to find this anywhere. Did the original come with a cassette to do this?

After calibrating it and restoring the synth to it's factory default I'm hoping it'll help me diagnose any possible problems with the unit.

Finally, how can I trigger the arp? I usually use a rimshot sent from my Roland TR-8 to trigger my Juno 60, but it's not working with the AX-60

Thanks!

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: AKAI AX60 Questions

Post by Z » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:39 am

JHatzia wrote:
Finally, how can I trigger the arp? I usually use a rimshot sent from my Roland TR-8 to trigger my Juno 60, but it's not working with the AX-60
The arpeggiator requires a +5V trigger pulse like most synths of that era. Most of the 80s Roland TR series drum machines have a trigger out.

I've never seen a data cassette with the factory patches. The AX60 was discontinued before I got into synths in the late 80s and I never saw a new unit with any accessories.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Post by Nannerfan » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:18 am

A friend of mine made me a box that converts Z-trig (Roland) to S-trig. Works great.
Looks sorta like this .. but backwards.

Sorry if I've made this more confusing :?

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:27 pm

I don't remember a cassette with mine; just a manual. Mine may have been a display unit, though.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

JHatzia

Post by JHatzia » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:19 pm

Thanks for the responses. Any idea on the missing trimmer pot (VR1)? Also, do the faders send MIDI messages or are they just for analog use?

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Z » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:31 pm

I doubt the faders send any sort of MIDI information. That technology wasn't implemented much back then. I'm pretty sure only Roland "PG" programmers were the only things that sent MIDI data back then.

Remember, that was 1986 - MIDI had only been around 3 years and wasn't fully embraced then.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:21 pm

You could control their little S612 sampler (with a special cable), but nothing else that I know of other than note on and note off. Most things were like that then.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Z » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:53 pm

Blue Monster 65 wrote:You could control their little S612 sampler (with a special cable), but nothing else that I know of other than note on and note off. Most things were like that then.
The 13 pin DIN cable merely brings 6 voices of audio from the sampler that can be processed through the AX60's analog filters. The only external "control" the AX60 is capable of is MIDI note on/off, pitch & mod wheels and hold pedal.

JHatzia

Post by JHatzia » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:03 am

Any idea on the factory presets or non existing VR1 on my unit?

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:34 am

Z wrote:
Blue Monster 65 wrote:You could control their little S612 sampler (with a special cable), but nothing else that I know of other than note on and note off. Most things were like that then.
The 13 pin DIN cable merely brings 6 voices of audio from the sampler that can be processed through the AX60's analog filters. The only external "control" the AX60 is capable of is MIDI note on/off, pitch & mod wheels and hold pedal.
Right. Should have been more specific. I had the AX60 and my buddy James had the S612. Sounded OK for the times.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!