Elektron hinting at something new

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Elektron hinting at something new

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:15 am

Don't know if this will pan out to deserving its own thread, but Elektron seem to be hinting at something new with this picture they posted on social media:

"What's happening here? Stay tuned!"

Any thoughts? The AKeys already can sync the 606 via Din Sync and control the modular via its CV/Gate outputs, so what are they getting at? Are they bringing out Eurorack modules? Some kind of dedicated CV sequencer for the modular crowd?

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Re: Elektron hinting at something new

Post by phesago » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:19 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:? Are they bringing out Eurorack modules?
my guess. they already have everything else covered. Unless its a baller a*s mixer with cv inputs for random parameters. doubt it though lol

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:02 am

I've been thinking lately that I'd love an Elektron mixer/sequencer type device. Kind of like an Octatrack with no sampler but maybe 6 stereo input channels, eight or sixteen track midi/CV sequencer, insert FX on every channel like the OT, as well as send/return FX like the A4. All of which could be automated by the sequencer. It would be a pretty amazing performance mixer, but I don't know if they would sell many, it's pretty niche.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:57 pm

Aren't they due to release Overbridge?

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:41 pm

Interesting given the pic used. Does not suggest overbridge, sync box, mixer, if anything something modular.

Unrelated: I had a go on the Rytm the other day and I am so glad I didn't bite. Not feeling it at all really. Much prefer the MD.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:53 pm

I have no idea but that Addac fixed filter bank that they have in that rack is the cat's pajamas :)

jereopaq

Post by jereopaq » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:25 am

Honestly, I'd love to have a standalone step sequencer for midi with p-locks, cv integration, etc. no audio generated. Something to rival the cirkulon but in the $300 range? I can dream....

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:41 am

zoomtheline wrote:Unrelated: I had a go on the Rytm the other day and I am so glad I didn't bite. Not feeling it at all really. Much prefer the MD.

Yeah, I don't want to highjack the thread with an AR vs. MD discussion. But it seems like a lot of old-school MD users don't like the AR that much. For me, it's just the opposite. I started with the A4, so the AR seems very intuitive. I don't click as well with the first-generation Elektron products.

Anyway, I agree, this looks like modular to me (the camera is obviously focused on the patch cables). I'm wondering if they're going to hit the Eurorack market. I suppose they would do well. But that's not really their niche. As someone else said, though, where else are they going to go? They've covered so much territory already; and it wouldn't make sense to keep plowing the same ground.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:12 am

I'm guessing solid gold 3.5mm cables. Color coded to indicate the carats.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:51 am

Aaron2 wrote: Yeah, I don't want to highjack the thread with an AR vs. MD discussion. But it seems like a lot of old-school MD users don't like the AR that much. For me, it's just the opposite. I started with the A4, so the AR seems very intuitive. I don't click as well with the first-generation Elektron products.
I can totally get that. I found the A4 really intuitive but the rytm felt clunky and backward. Purely because I am so used to the MD though I imagine. I'm so glad that I didn't like it though as I don't want any more machines to learn and I want to save money too. I want to make music haha.

That all depends on what this is though. Hope it's modular then I can ignore it again. Modular is a rabbits warren that i'm not prepared to go down as i'll never get anything done.
If it's some sort of mixer, sequencer, beast of an effects box etc then who knows.

I'll tell you what I would love from Elektron... Brushed Aluminium face plates for the A4 and Octa. I really don't like the black/red with round buttons look. The machines outweigh my OCD though.

Low Life

Post by Low Life » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:06 am

It's just this jam session video:

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:48 pm

Oh. Well, It is pretty soon after the RYTM. Bring on the overbridge though! Looking forward to that. Still not got around to syncing my elektrons to Logic to record. Lots of potential tracks all sat on a few machines waiting (for my laziness to subside more than anything)

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:52 pm

Is it just me or is the rhythm of that jam totally effed up? The modular and 606 patterns don't fit...no groove.

I see the heads bobbing though :roll:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:36 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Is it just me or is the rhythm of that jam totally effed up? The modular and 606 patterns don't fit...no groove.

I see the heads bobbing though :roll:
it's hilariously messed up, something isn't fitting and it's throwing everything off. almost seems like a joke.

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:53 pm

It got better after the first 1:30 though when they switched to another pattern.