Elektron hinting at something new

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Re: Elektron hinting at something new

Post by ninja6485 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:18 pm

meatballfulton wrote:I see the heads bobbing though :roll:
That guy's way too enthusiastic about the head bob. It's annoying to watch... almost as annoying as when people do the pelvic thrust! My washing machine has a better rhythm than the beginning of this jam. I feel like I'm walking the floor at Sam Ash. "Switching to a new pattern" probably means they figured out how to engage the switch on the 606 that syncs its clock to an external source.
:verymad: :mock: :wink2:
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Percivale
Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Post by Percivale » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:32 am

I watched most of his videos. Cenk is at a high-level of competence/performance when dealing with Elektron boxes. He worked wonders with them. Cool guy. This might be a one-off. He also might not be so good at handling keys.

Yes it definitely feels off beat but it brought to mind how machine-assisted time sync could help an otherwise mess of a song/jam. Sounded to me like it worked because timing was forced but melodies/phrases were not in harmony. Sure, you can call it experimental or fusion/hybrid electronica, etc. Aww.. tis but a jam :D

Would you accept that? How much should a machine "take over" and how much to be in a "humanised" manner" is a matter of taste. That said, it reminded me of DJs who would condescend anyone who uses the ubiquitous "sync" button on their machines for tempo/beat matching.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:35 am

I've brought shame upon my family for starting a thread for this. I guess this is why people think that Eurorack users just make terrible sounds.

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:02 am

Low Life wrote:It's just this jam session video:
Perpetuating sterotypes.... :lol:

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:39 am

That was horrible. Why did they even publish that?

And no Addac 601 awesomeness distinguishable... :(

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:39 am

Is it their fault or the guy who cut the video?
Doesn't look like any jam session I've ever seen or been in.
They don't even look at each other.

Each is working on their own piece and shame on anyone who thinks that this was musical and intended.
There is the clear part when they try and he uses human timing to start the damn box and, what do you know, it syncs.

THAT was the part showing sync, but I guess someone wanted a longer video and included the whole 'working on me part' earlier...part.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:17 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:I've brought shame upon my family for starting a thread for this. I guess this is why people think that Eurorack users just make terrible sounds.
I do have kind of a preconceived notion of what the average modular makes as far as music. All these videos of just them twisting endless knobs on a short loop (that's often not even halfway decent), often with entirely too much feedback/distortion... I wish there was a button on synth blogs to say "no modular".

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:38 pm

Kidney05 wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:I've brought shame upon my family for starting a thread for this. I guess this is why people think that Eurorack users just make terrible sounds.
I do have kind of a preconceived notion of what the average modular makes as far as music. All these videos of just them twisting endless knobs on a short loop (that's often not even halfway decent), often with entirely too much feedback/distortion... I wish there was a button on synth blogs to say "no modular".
But if you went by YouTube synth videos you'd think that everyone who plays fixed-path synths only does badly played versions of the blade runner soundtrack. ;) Turns out some people make music, and other people make YouTube videos.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:59 am

Keep in mind that there was a time before the MiniMoog and Odyssey when modulars were the only synths around.

And people did make (somewhat) normal sounding music with them.

Yes, plenty of folks nowadays are content to run a sequencer loop and twist knobs...it's fun while you're doing it, but not very interesting to a listener.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:58 pm

NEW ELECKTRON !?!

I'm going to assume it's the OCTATRACK II or a stand alone effect box.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:12 am

wiss wrote:NEW ELECKTRON !?!

I'm going to assume it's the OCTATRACK II or a stand alone effect box.
Don't think it'll be a new OT. I reckon a mixer with fx and p-locks, like the Roland MX-1 but better.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:38 am

Seems to be hinting at sampling, maybe something pad based like the MPC with a sequencer?

And sorry but that clip brings pointless hype videos to a new low :lol:

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:49 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:And sorry but that clip brings pointless hype videos to a new low :lol:
I was thinking the same thing, fuzzy generic stock footage lifestyle marketing. Like a pharmaceutical commercial w/ beatboxing.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:10 pm

garranimal wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:And sorry but that clip brings pointless hype videos to a new low :lol:
I was thinking the same thing, fuzzy generic stock footage lifestyle marketing. Like a pharmaceutical commercial w/ beatboxing.
*Grooves busted on the Octotrack II were busted in a professional environment. Actual results may vary. Consult a sound engineer before beginning use of Octotrack II. Side effects may include unnecessary chest pounding, lip noises, and mainstream 'alternative lifestyle' fashion choices. If you experience excessive insomnia due to sample mangling, stop using Octotrack II immediately and get a job.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Percivale
Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Post by Percivale » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:27 am

Does it compete well with Behringer Synth Video 1 :lol:
Hybrid88 wrote: And sorry but that clip brings pointless hype videos to a new low :lol: