Bass Guitar / Synth Hybrid

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Post Reply
breckjay
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:56 pm
Real name: breck
Gear: To many cables...

Bass Guitar / Synth Hybrid

Post by breckjay » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:24 am

So I am currently bandless and have bin meaning to start a new project. I have always want to build a bass-synth-effect monster that i can walk around with. I have a mexi fender jazz bass, my plan was to get a microbrute, volca keys , and the mini kaoss effects. I havent figured out all the little details ( like placement and signal routing ) but basically going to cutting about an inch off the right side of the jazz bass. Stick a piece of plywood on it and velcro the microbrute, volca and kaoss. I would have this awsome frankistein instrument. I Planned on duck taping a power strip to the back side of the guitar strap and pluging anything that need power into that. as far as the signal its very simple. Bass --- > kaoss, volca into micorbrute. I would have 2 amps , one for the bass and one for the volca/brute. my question is has any one done this ( im sure they have ) , and what other little gizmo box's would be great with this ( just keep in mind size and weight ). I was thinking about adding a really good delay/reverb pedal in the volca/brute line . Also if you have ANY ideas about his please share !!!!
Mopho Key's, Roland sh-32, Korg R3, M Audio Venom, Korg EMX 1, Korg ER 1, and lots of hours in the hole.

User avatar
Weirdofromouterspace
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 336
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:30 pm
Real name: Bodo
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper
Location: Germany

Re: Bass Guitar / Synth Hybrid

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:29 am

Hi,
breckjay wrote:basically going to cutting about an inch off the right side of the jazz bass. Stick a piece of plywood on it and velcro the microbrute, volca and kaoss. I would have this awsome frankistein instrument.


you'd have some monster, yes. Inconvenient, heavy and always in danger of damaging stuff if/when the velcro comes loose. I'd leave the bass guitar as it is, build or buy some rack for the synths to get them into a convenient position, and use it that way. Buy or build a footswitch looper to be able to bypass the synths so you can use them individually and whenever you want.
breckjay wrote:I Planned on duck taping a power strip to the back side of the guitar strap and pluging anything that need power into that.
More inconvenience. And it gets sticky ;).
breckjay wrote: my question is has any one done this ( im sure they have )
Never heard of anyone who did, and there may be a reason for it 8-).
breckjay wrote:and what other little gizmo box's would be great with this
ElectroHarmonix Microsynth as a 'stompbox'. I have the guitar version, and it is fantastic. There is also a bass guitar version. The circuits, however, are almost identical (I compared them, but that was some years ago). It is, iirc, just a matter of one or two different resistors and/or capacitors.
breckjay wrote: I was thinking about adding a really good delay/reverb pedal in the volca/brute line .
That is always nice, but as I said above I would never attach it physically to a (bass) guitar. Too inconvenient, and too much danger of something coming loose, drop and break.
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

Jaytee
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 2:04 am

Re: Bass Guitar / Synth Hybrid

Post by Jaytee » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:50 am

Sounds cool..... If you're a luthier with some time and money to sink into the project. Otherwise, spare your poor instruments from the graveyard of half-finished mods of h**l.

chipaudette
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:00 am

Re: Bass Guitar / Synth Hybrid

Post by chipaudette » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:35 pm

I'm loving the audacity of OP. I say go for it. Practical concerns may be practical...but I'm thinking that this project is about ridiculous awesomeness.

Consider Option A: guy with bass guitar standing next to a small synth on a rack. Result: Robust instrument setup that's easy to play, but so boring and plain vanilla to watch...so been-there-done-that.

Consider Option B: guy with franken-bass-synth-kaoss-monster slung from his shoulder, complete with power strip duct-taped to the back. Result: Easily-broken instrument that is hard to play, but so compeling to watch...is it gonna fall apart?!? is it gonna blow up?!? Is that guy totally mental?!? I GOTTA SEE HOW THIS TURNS OUT!!!

Sensible setups are for making music. Crazy setups are for making a statement. If you wanna make a statement, proceed with all speed with your kick-a*s plan. And be sure to share a video of your result. Preferably with lasers and pyrotechnics.

Chip

User avatar
meatballfulton
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6104
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:29 pm
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Bass Guitar / Synth Hybrid

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:45 pm

While I can't post any links, I have seen people with guitar/keyboard Frankensteins in the past. For it to be practical you need careful design of the wiring and physical construction, like removing the guts from the electronics and building an enclosure that can be solidly attached to the bass body. Shielding may be an issue, will the electronics cause the bass pickups to hum, etc.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Jaytee
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 2:04 am

Re: Bass Guitar / Synth Hybrid

Post by Jaytee » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:24 pm

chipaudette wrote:I'm loving the audacity of OP. I say go for it. Practical concerns may be practical...but I'm thinking that this project is about ridiculous awesomeness.

Consider Option A: guy with bass guitar standing next to a small synth on a rack. Result: Robust instrument setup that's easy to play, but so boring and plain vanilla to watch...so been-there-done-that.

Consider Option B: guy with franken-bass-synth-kaoss-monster slung from his shoulder, complete with power strip duct-taped to the back. Result: Easily-broken instrument that is hard to play, but so compeling to watch...is it gonna fall apart?!? is it gonna blow up?!? Is that guy totally mental?!? I GOTTA SEE HOW THIS TURNS OUT!!!

Sensible setups are for making music. Crazy setups are for making a statement. If you wanna make a statement, proceed with all speed with your kick-a*s plan. And be sure to share a video of your result. Preferably with lasers and pyrotechnics.

Chip
Hmmm. I agree up to an extent. You look at performances by that1guy and it's exactly what you're talking about: a homebuilt bass/synth/sampler hybrid that looks like something out of a Mad Max movie. But on the other hand, that1guy has some *serious* musical chops to back it all up, and while his instrument is crazy looking and certainly reeks of DIY, you can tell a lot of thought and effort was put into it; it's not just all duct-taped together.

OP sounds like he might electrocute himself onstage. That *would* be a spectacle, but probably not the effect he's going for.

If I were to go about something like this, I would probably invest my money into something like a Chapman Stick and invest my time into seriously learning it. That way I still end up with a bass guitar/synth hybrid that is a complete spectacle to watch, but I don't have to deal with an instrument that is constantly about to fall apart.

Post Reply