CZ-101 DAC offset voltage calibration

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Jaytee

CZ-101 DAC offset voltage calibration

Post by Jaytee » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:16 pm

I have heard this repair mentioned several times around the net as the way to fix the nasty distortion that happens when playing more than a couple voices simultaneously on CZ synths. My CZ-101 suffers from this issue and I've been wanting to fix it for about a year or two, and just recently got seriously thinking about popping it open and making it happen (done surgery on a couple other bits of gear now, so I'm less nervous about opening up the CZ).

The problem is that the only available full service manual I can find is for the CZ-1. The schematics are available for the CZ-101.

I tried to correspond the CZ-1 instructions with the 101 schematics, but could not find an exact match for the trimpot you're supposed to adjust.

Has anyone performed this repair on a 101? Could you give me an idea of where to look for the proper trimpot on the board/schematics? Barring that, could I even just get a second set of eyes comparing the CZ-1 and 101 schematics to help me find the proper part of the circuit to adjust?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Re: CZ-101 DAC offset voltage calibration

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:16 pm

I've seen a pic posted of the exact pot in the past (having needed to do it myself), so you might try a google image search maybe? It's definitely documented somewhere. Once you find the pot, it's just a case of adjusting it until the distortion goes away.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Jaytee

Post by Jaytee » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:28 pm

I'll keep looking, but I haven't yet been able to find this repair detailed for a 101.

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:25 pm

According to the schems I have it should be VR2...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com