Game - Synth Death(light-a-)match - Nominations

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Re: Game - Synth Death(light-a-)match - Nominations

Post by Broadwave » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:48 am

Basically, a list of synths/modules I truly regretted wasting my money on!

Roland SH-201
Roland SH-32
Roland Gaia (I realised by then that Roland had completely lost the plot with VA)
Avid Venom
Casio WX-P1
Oberheim/Viscount OB-12
Akai Miniak/Alesis Micron
Evolution EVS-1
Cheetah MS6
Crumar Trilogy

But on the other hand... If my house was on fire, and I could only rescue two synths:

Korg Kronos
Korg Z1

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:59 pm

Here is a better demo of the SC-88 Pro. Rei Harakami used multiple SC-88 Pros and a Roland multitrack recorder with some built-in effects, nothing else.

Last edited by dustinh on Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:47 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Please, burn the 303. Crappiest piece of c**p ever and spawned a million c**p songs and c**p synths. Also, the PCB is made of cardboard, it was designed to burned, even Roland agree with me.
Agreed. It's like it was purposely designed to create the most annoying bass sounds in all of history, and nothing else.
CS_TBL wrote:Sound Canvas - for introducing a format standard (but not a sound quality standard!) that halted the uniqueness of many synths in those days. You just ended up with another GM box, every time, containing ridiculous bird tweets and telephones. And not even being complete (missing low/high auxiliaries of wood/brass instruments).
Man, I have such a hard time bringing myself to agree with this...General MIDI is responsible for so much terribleness and loss of uniqueness in the design of new synthesizers, but on the other hand, it spawned this weird quasi-genre of music shaped by everybody trying to figure out which combinations of GM patches sounded the least crappy together and what styles of music worked with those combinations, and then putting the results in old shareware games or on BBSes or personal websites, and that stuff was my first serious introduction to the idea of making music on a computer. So much nostalgia in those old GM original compositions...but I guess I'll take the position that the Sound Canvas wasn't even a very good GM implementation anyway (my old Ensoniq AudioPCI came with a much better sound set, and Korg's 05/RW did it better as a stand-alone module, in addition to everything else it did.)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:47 pm

desmond wrote:
gcoudert wrote:Roland D70. Pretty decent MIDI controller but basically a U220 with a 76-note keyboard, ugly display (mine buzzed as well), impossible to use without referring to the manual constantly. Yuck...
Heh, I nearly nommed the U20 as I really dislike that too. The D70also had a notoriously sluggish MIDI spec as well - chuck it a few notes and some pitch bend and the whole thing started to slow down as it tried to cope processing it...
Yep. That said, the U-110 was my first rackmount module back in about 1989, my first multi-timbral synth and first PCM ROMpler and I loved it. When I bought the D70 maybe 8-10 years ago, I knew it was similar but I was hoping that the synth functions would add a new dimension to those once familiar sounds. They didn't.

That DLM function whereby you could crop and loop a certain section of the PCM sample never yielded any interesting results for me either.
GC

desmond

Post by desmond » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:44 pm

implant wrote:After much soul searching the winner became clear
Roland D2

This thing comes with crosshairs ready to go! This f**k clearly wants to die straight outta the factory!
This indeed does look *terrible*, but disqualified in that it's a "groove box" which comes under the category of drum machine / sequencer... :)

desmond

Post by desmond » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:49 pm

Cheetah MS800.

Have you ever tried to program one of these? You simply would not believe the procedure...(!)

thefonz003
Gear: Yamaha SY77
Korg DSS-1
Yamaha DJX
Novation MiniNova
Electrix Warp Factory
Akai MPK225
Various Softsynths
E-mu Mo'Phatt (wanting to sell)

Post by thefonz003 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:53 pm

I don't really have a synth that I hate, but I'll go with the only one of mine that I'm not in love with---the E-mu Mo'Phatt, and I suppose by extension all the E-mu ROMpler modules of the late 1990s/early 2000s. There's nothing specifically wrong with the Mo'Phatt, and for a box it's got a lot of stuff packed into it in terms of features. But it doesn't really excel in anything either, and a lot of the sounds don't live up to the name of the module. The filters, while resonant, are light-years away from the (also completely digital) filters in my SY77, and a lot of the sounds are virtually unusable outside of very specific contexts. Moreover, some sounds have ridiculously weak gain, and the module as a whole has much weaker output than either of my keyboards. The arpeggiator and a few of the drum patterns are this machine's saving graces, but I could still live without it. If I were smart, I would've just bought a MIDI arpeggiator module and saved $75.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:00 am

thefonz003 wrote:I don't really have a synth that I hate, but I'll go with the only one of mine that I'm not in love with---the E-mu Mo'Phatt, and I suppose by extension all the E-mu ROMpler modules of the late 1990s/early 2000s. There's nothing specifically wrong with the Mo'Phatt, and for a box it's got a lot of stuff packed into it in terms of features. But it doesn't really excel in anything either, and a lot of the sounds don't live up to the name of the module. The filters, while resonant, are light-years away from the (also completely digital) filters in my SY77
You need to dig into programming it. It's a pain to program, but the Z-Plane filters are actually really good. Worth putting in the effort IMO.