Destroy your Synth-Pop idols

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Erase them from existence!

Poll ended at Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:03 am

Pete Shelley
14%
Human League
6%
Heaven 17
16%
Pet Shop Boys
13%
Erasure
15%
Depeche Mode
5%
John Foxx
9%
New Order
4%
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark
4%
Yellow Magic Orchestra
8%
Devo
5%
Kraftwerk
3%

Total votes: 111

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Destroy your Synth-Pop idols

Post by Jabberwalky » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:03 am

This is a ballot to essentially wipe out all materials relating to the voted artists. Rid the world of the nuisance that is "synth-pop" and perhaps give us a clearer perspective of our drunken vintage synth community! As with the previous polls, you have 4 options

These are certainly some heavy hitters, with some lesser "one off" types for good measure.

1. Pete Shelley - Leading the way with a snarl and a good sit next to some geometric shapes, this ex-punk has the guts, but some may say lacks the skills. He hates everything, and is incredibly bored..>BUT he can tell the future! So either way he wins

2. Human League - A bunch of computer programmers and a guy with (the now bizarrely fashionable) swooped coiffure. They also hate everything, but can't quite express that directly. Ditch the programmers for some cute girls and make millions I always say.

3. Heaven 17 - A popular band from the movie A Clockwork Orange. Jangly, and groovey, they were the backlash to the inhuman, icey synth pop of '82.

4. Pet Shop Boys - Preferred the girls on the West end, as opposed to the East (who were often unshaven and reeked of garlic). Often seen standing around in the background on the streets of London, this duo achieved worldwide success by being pompous and witty. Their lyrical ambiguity is a thick, sugary slice of key lime pie.

5. Erasure - Vince dips into his, seemingly, endless pool of pop songs for this cheesy duo. Appealing to almost everyone's love of catchy bullshit, Erasure led the way in uncomfortable music videos, and rubber band leotards.

6. Depeche Mode - The boy band that grew up before our eyes. It's almost like they're human! Obviously they were just holograms projected by Daniel Miller. After his breakout hit "Warm Leatherette", Miller created this imaginary group to be the next electro- beach boys. Somewhere along the way, the hologram AI became self aware, and angsty. They started smashing things and recording them into samplers. For their final swan song, they recorded a whale giving birth, and sampled it into the Emax.

7. John Foxx - Auteur, musician, painter, taxodermist, and potter, John Foxx does it all! He presents a bleak future for someone so extroverted and likable. Will he survive VSE's jealousy for owning so many Odysseys?

8. New Order - These guys suck. They overused string machines, and lived in abandoned factories. They did a cover of Orgy's "Blue Monday" which is incredibly long, and repetitive. Tony Wilson's favorite band. I hope they go first.

9. Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - Bourgeois pansies, writing boring songs about dead historical figures. They often wrote all their songs in the dark, and never talked. A chance meeting with John Hughes at a 7-11 launched them into fame and fortune. They were household melody makers for loads of middle class floozies and exchange students throughout the mid 80s.

10. Yellow Magic Orchestra - These guys were big in japan, and wrote the aptly named hit "Big in Japan". They were almost too ahead of their time some say. With wry side glances, and dangling cigarettes, YMO spawned hundreds of hits. They were arcade machine technicians by day, and disco divas by night. No other band on this list was affluent enough to hire a full time member to "listen to the mix" during all live performances.

11. Devo - Akron, Ohio has never been cooler. These blockheads think we are all monkeys destined for toxic annihilation. They apparently had a thing for keytars and bondage. They also wrote a song about how beautiful the world is.....JEEZ, the world isn't that great dudes! Man these guys are squares! (or domes?)

12. Kraftwerk - Obsessed with math, this German group was mostly a bunch of hippies pretending to know how computers work. They shunned power plants, and instead powered all their synths with bicycle generators.

ellaguru
Gear: juno106 korg ms20 roland vsynth yamaha an200 yamaha tx81z boss sp303 boss sp505 roland sp606 roland mc909 zoom st224

Re: Destroy your Synth-Pop idols

Post by ellaguru » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:07 am

Jabberwalky wrote: 8. New Order - These guys suck. They overused string machines, and lived in abandoned factories. They did a cover of Orgy's "Blue Monday" which is incredibly long, and repetitive. Tony Wilson's favorite band. I hope they go first.
i hope it's just a provocation... :evil:
:mrgreen:
(anyway that orgy version of blue monday is ridicule)
my vote goes to Erasure, because Vince Clarke done far better with DM and expecially with Yazoo...and because i respect too much the other bands in the poll, in a special way Devo, New Order and Depeche Mode...and yeah, the Krafty too...

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:14 am

Glad to see Frank Tovey and Fad Gadget aren't on the list.

*edit
Also I'm extremely embarrassed that I never knew the former leader of the buzzcocks made synth pop later on.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:10 am

If we get enough of these threads, we'll soon be able to have a "deathmatch thread" deathmatch. Which thread destroys all the others? :lol:

*Disclaimer: I voted anyway. Even if they're pointless, they're fun. Keep 'em coming :P
You can't synthesize love

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, Fantom 6, System 8, MODX6, Behringer Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog.

Post by Broadwave » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:47 am

Has someone got something against us Brits... ;)

I'm relieved you kept Mark Shreeve off the list ("Who?" I hear you say). Check out Legion & Crash Head - utterly the best synth music that ever came from a Brit. Shame his later Red Shift stuff was drivel.

No Gershon Kingsley though!!! He'd be the first up against the wall for that damned Popcorn!

I voted Heaven 17... Pretentious nonsense, trying to be too cleaver for their own good! If fact I hate them so much they deserve to be listed twice. :lol:

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:36 pm

I apparently voted for too many options.

Ergo, this thread sucks almost as much as all the British bands (and Kraftwerk) listed within its walls.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:20 pm

lol, I don't particularly like any of those artists.
soundcloud.com/vectron

chimney chop
Band: boxc, cigarettes after sex

Post by chimney chop » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:58 pm

honestly i like most of these bands a lot.

i don't think New Order qualifies as synthpop though.

they're no more synthpop than The Cure.

both bands had some synthpop songs early on and both continue to use synthesizers but still, neither are categorically synthpop bands.

aside from the fact that New Order is a great band i think this is one reason why they're at the bottom of the list for people who hate synthpop.

people who categorically hate synthpop (which is odd to me) aren't likely to hate New Order.

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:13 pm

[rant] Why can't we have five votes [/rant] ;) :lol: ?

I only could vote Heaven 17, Erasure, PSB and DM. I desparately need a fifth vote for Human League :twisted: . These (plus Duran Duran, who aren't on the list) are more or less exactly the bands whose music I loathed most when I was a teenager and they were in their heydays.
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:23 pm

I know what opinions are like, etc etc, but for my two cents, it seems strange to leave out Gary Numan...I would like to see him trounce the bunch with his four Minis and larger than life technoglam persona...
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:30 pm

What about that guy who has the creepy half'n'half man on stage with him?

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:23 pm

Hahah, indeed this thread is just stupid fun. Also you can only do 12 selections on the polls, so I had to leave some out. I'm not sure who you're talking about Mono.

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:52 pm

Haha, Jabberwalky, your descriptions are hilariously critical. You should have gotten a job with the British music press in the early eighties :lol: .

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:56 pm

I nominate visage, culture club, bronski beat and Frankie(rip)
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:27 pm

What incarnation of Human League are we talking about here? Pre or post titties?

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/