Best synth basslines of all time?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Re: Best synth basslines of all time?

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:23 am

anybody mention Yello?
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:39 am

I quite like this one...

GC

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:28 pm

synthparts wrote:Speaking of Faltermeyer... I've always liked the bass on this track -

As far as I know it's a DX-7, possibly layered with some analog synth.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:48 pm

I've always loved the meaty bassline in John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13 theme:

"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:01 pm

Micke wrote:I've always loved the meaty bassline in John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13 theme:

That's one of my favorite soundtracks of all time! I love the music: raw, gritty, tense. Did he have a Prophet 10 at that point? I believe he used one for the Halloween soundtrack.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:07 pm

That reminds me of some REALLY good SID music from the C64. The sheer grit and dirt.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:13 pm

Walter Ego wrote:
Micke wrote:I've always loved the meaty bassline in John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13 theme:

That's one of my favorite soundtracks of all time! I love the music: raw, gritty, tense. Did he have a Prophet 10 at that point? I believe he used one for the Halloween soundtrack.

Assault on precinct 13 (1976), Halloween (1978) and The Fog (1980) were all done on an expanded Moog series III with 5 box units,
including the Moog 960 double sequencer complement. The aforementioned scores were recorded at Sound arts studio in LA
with Dan Wyman programming the Moog.

The Prophet 10 made its debut on the Halloween II soundtrack (1981) which, if I recall correctly, was recorded by Howarth on his own
because Carpenter was busy filming The Thing at the time. They had previously used a Prophet 5 rev 2 (among other synths) on the
Escape from New York score which was recorded in late 1980.

rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rschnier » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:57 pm

Came across this thread today and thought of these:

Swing out Sister -- "Break Out"

Level 42 -- "Something About You" (synth/bass guitar layering, quite tasty)

On the more-recent side, how about tyDi - "Kopi Susu." Simple yet very effective, with lots of nice organic/random modulations to keep things interesting.
Last edited by rschnier on Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- R.

rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rschnier » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:36 pm

Zamise wrote:Nero - "Satisfy"
Holy s**t, that's unbelievably awesome.
-- R.

chimney chop
Band: boxc, cigarettes after sex

Post by chimney chop » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:13 pm

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:34 pm

Micke wrote:Assault on precinct 13 (1976), Halloween (1978) and The Fog (1980) were all done on an expanded Moog series III with 5 box units,
including the Moog 960 double sequencer complement. The aforementioned scores were recorded at Sound arts studio in LA

The Prophet 10 made its debut on the Halloween II soundtrack (1981) which, if I recall correctly, was recorded by Howarth on his own
because Carpenter was busy filming The Thing at the time. They had previously used a Prophet 5 rev 2 (among other synths) on the
Very interesting to know. I read a recent interview with Carpenter who was being vague about what he used in his early films, but this definitely fits with what he said. I thought he mentioned using the gear of a university professor, and thought he had made references to an EMS Synthi. But the music doesn't sound like it.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:09 pm

Simple but effective.

jonnyfromspace

Post by jonnyfromspace » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:20 am

chimney chop wrote:
Holy mother of God that baseline is INSANE ......................................... :shock:
"know thyself"

desmond

Post by desmond » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:25 am

jonnyfromspace wrote:Holy mother of God that baseline is INSANE ......................................... :shock:
Not really but the video certainly is batshit crazy...

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:37 am

Walter Ego wrote:
Micke wrote:Assault on precinct 13 (1976), Halloween (1978) and The Fog (1980) were all done on an expanded Moog series III with 5 box units,

Very interesting to know. I read a recent interview with Carpenter who was being vague about what he used in his early films, but this definitely fits with what he said. I thought he mentioned using the gear of a university professor, and thought he had made references to an EMS Synthi. But the music doesn't sound like it.
Carpenter's score for "Dark star" (1974) was recorded with an EMS VCS3 though.