Alpha Juno 2: check battery!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
joeboy
Gear: ax-80, jx-8p, v-synth, monotribe, ПИФ, tx81z, sy35, tg77

Alpha Juno 2: check battery!

Post by joeboy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:07 am

I was working at school today, helping some students put junk away, when I found an Alpha Juno 2 nestled away in the storage closet collecting (a lot of) dust. We powered it on and got a CHECK BATTERY! message, which obviously means the battery should be replaced. I'm just curious though: can it still be played even without a fresh battery? I couldn't test if it made any sound nor did I know how to skip the error message to see if the parameters could be navigated.

I've never soldered before and I don't know any synth repair shops in my city, so it may be a while before the battery gets replaced. I'm just wondering if I can bypass the error message and use it anyway, without saving patches.

Also, are there any issues that I should check for before attempting to play it? This thing looks like it hasn't been paid attention to since 1985.

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Re: Alpha Juno 2: check battery!

Post by fh991586 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:32 pm

While it's powered on, you can put back the preset in it and it should work. All will be lost again when you turn if off, until you change the battery...

If they give it to you, take it.
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:20 pm

The preset patch banks should be functional even when the battery is dead.

The user patch banks will result in a bunch of noise (which might be cool).
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:19 am

I have an alpha juno with a battery holder that doesn't even work anymore. Took it in to have it repaired and they couldn't figure out the problem without spending more money on it (not worth it). All you do is press the preset button and the check battery message goes away. Since I can't save patches on it, I have about 100 or so patches that I made with the software editor so it's really not that big a deal to me.