NIN Nord Lead on eBay. guy immediately gets defensive

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

NIN Nord Lead on eBay. guy immediately gets defensive

Postby chimney chop » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:24 pm

so there's a NIN owned Nord Lead 3 on eBay now. (no, i'm not the seller)

i wasn't satisfied with the provenance provided in the description so I asked nicely if the original auction (which the seller says the buyer will receive) shows the serial number.

seller says "i'm not here for games, it's legit"

see, i wasn't accusing the guy of being dishonest though that's how he takes it right off the bat.

i just wanted to know about the serial number thing which he skirted.

then i asked him if he can give me any more details about its functionality and cosmetic condition to which he replied.....

"i said its in excellant condition in the description as well as the original auction page will comw with it. iv gotta a lot of stuff thru ningear a perfect circle smashing pumpkins and john 5 if u dont feel its legit with the serial numbers dont buy it . someone else is already interested on top of that the price for it is just above the average price of a nord lead 3 i dont understand the delima"

so, what do you guys think? bad news? nothing to worry about?
chimney chop

Band: boxc, cigarettes after sex

Re: NIN Nord Lead on eBay. guy immediately gets defensive

Postby Psy_Free » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:40 pm

I wouldn't buy anything from someone with that kind of attitude.

So it belonged to NIN, big whoop. Keyboard provenance generally doesn't attract the kind of attention that for e.g. guitar provenance does.

Also, I'd rather it belonged to a quiet guy who played it gently in his home studio only.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud
Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Postby madmarkmagee » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:47 pm

Doesn't sound legit to me... what has he got to lose giving you the serial numbers? I'm selling things on the internet, the land of BS and fraudsters, but when someone asks to prove my legitimacy I get angry with them? SCAM SCAM SCAM...
madmarkmagee

Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Postby Swayze » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:00 pm

Don't support his business. He sounds like a Juggalo j**k. :---)
Swayze

Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Postby chimney chop » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:06 pm

word.

NIN owning it means nothing to me.

I only asked him because if you're gonna claim something like that that could potentially add value then you need to back it up.

also, describe the item right? what am I getting?
chimney chop

Postby chimney chop » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:10 pm

ps: he changed the description to say the serial number is reflected.

whatever
chimney chop

Postby ninja6485 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:54 pm

:lol:

Outstanding claims require outstanding evidence. A salesman's claim that such and such is such and such has never been sufficient evidence for anything. I can sell him Al Leong's toothbrush. I'm not here for games, it's legit.
;)

You know when a parent walks into the kitchen to get something out of the fridge, turns to the child, and withoup being prompted, the child immediately blurts out "I didn't take a cookie from the cookie jar!" That's what this situation sounds like. Though we can't be sure of actual events or identities of objects, but we can at least observe that the person on the other end has an extremely high expectation that you are suspicious of what they are afraid you will be suspicious about. This can be a red flag.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby silikon » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:55 pm

Post the ebay auction.

I recently sold my Nord Lead 3 (rack) that was autographed by Charlie Clouser, who had also drawn a NIN logo on the back. I'm always skeptical about provenance, and quite frankly, it's only applicable to me when I say that while it's cool to own something essentially handed down from a rather famous musician or act, It also amounts to f**k all when it gets down to it. No magical fairy dust from any artist will make you any better at your craft. If it's just to collect a machine you'd already want to own, but with the 'cool' factor (for the new owner, not just for bragging rights), then I don't see the harm.

I digress, however. If this is a reputable person who's really interested in selling his gear to someone, and has a modicum of knowledge about the piece, he'd certainly come dressed for the occasion versus what you received. I'd recommend looking elsewhere.

Also, assuming you did a proper cut-and-paste, atrocious grammar and spelling are usually problematic. A misspelling here or there...random grammar foibles, all can be taken with a grain of salt... but the wholesale disinterest in at least trying to form complete sentences is rubbish, and will likely speak to the level of attention you'll get and the level of care taken to ship said machine to you. Your cut and paste smacks of a guy who would send it, wrapped in cum-stained towels, grass clippings and newspaper -- but not because he gathered those things, but because they were in the box to begin with.

Edit: Found it. Not my old one.

Last edited by silikon on Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Postby Bitexion » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:17 pm

A synth that has belonged to a heavy touring artist is more likely to be damaged anyway, or stained or smell weird.
So what it has some NIN patches on there, you can get those anywhere as sysex files too.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Postby Cumulus » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:07 pm

It's been said already but just walk away from this deal.

1. It sounds shady.

B. I've seen enough equipment taking a beating on tours.

Third, The guy sounds like a d**k. I don't like to give my money to dicks.
Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Band: Cumulus

Postby corndogssg » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:54 am

I like NIN, but like the earlier poster said, if I was buying a used nord lead 3 I would want it from someone who hardly played it in a non smoking studio.

NIN smokes in theirs, plus they literally THRASH the living h**l out of their synths on stage, imagine how much it's gone through on a whole tour! might have beer spilled on it or some kinda bodily fluid somewhere, lol, :shock:

Anyone wanna buy a guitar Kurt Cobain owned? lots of crazy glue holding it together.
corndogssg

Gear: v synth,little phatty2,jx10,kiwi106 jx305, jv2080x's8,k2600,ion,microQ,blofeld,evolver,tetra,x station,ultra nova,bass station2, jd990,minibrute
Band: sesame street gangsters

Postby madtheory » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:03 am

Bitexion wrote:So what it has some NIN patches on there, you can get those anywhere as sysex files too.

Where? Please PM me...
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:31 am

If it belonged to NIN you can be sure it *has* been (ab)used indeed.

You might as well bid on Alec Empire's TR-909 for that bit of extra grit...

But then again, who cares whose boogers are on the keys?

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Postby Bitexion » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:02 pm

Well, the synths Trent and Co thrashed to the floor in every concert in the 90s were mostly just cheaply bought locally used c**p synths they could afford to waste. Not the $2000 polysynths they used on albums.

Dinosaur rock bands got famous for smashing hotel rooms, guitars and amps in the 60s and 70s.
NIN emulated them by smashing synths and smearing themselves in mud in the 90s. In the 80s everyone was so high on cocaine and other drugs nobody remembers what happened.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Postby ColorForm2113 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:37 pm

Bitexion wrote:Well, the synths Trent and Co thrashed to the floor in every concert in the 90s were mostly just cheaply bought locally used c**p synths they could afford to waste. Not the $2000 polysynths they used on albums.

Dinosaur rock bands got famous for smashing hotel rooms, guitars and amps in the 60s and 70s.
NIN emulated them by smashing synths and smearing themselves in mud in the 90s. In the 80s everyone was so high on cocaine and other drugs nobody remembers what happened.

maybe in the 90s that was the case, but a few years ago when I saw them (I think it might have been the wave goodbye your) Trent flipped an evolver off its stand towards the front of the stage. it took quite a tumble but surprisingly still worked! or at least worked enough lol
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)
ColorForm2113

Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Next

Return to General Synthesizers