What Synth has the most Mojo?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Re: What Synth has the most Mojo?

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:11 pm

tomorrowstops wrote: [...] Most recently, I had the same feelings towards the CS50. [...]
That's true, there is something about the CS50 the CS80 can't quite match.

Perhaps this is because the 50 is less intimidating, or perhaps it is because it is less prone to disaster than the 80? Anyway, there is something initially musical about the way it sounds and responds to the player.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:37 pm

I definitely should have grabbed a CS50 or CS60 when they were much cheaper. When I started collecting you could easily get a CS50 for under 1k and a CS60 for about 1200. I had the chance to buy a CS60 a couple of years ago for 2k but balked at it just because I was worried about it being serviced later with size and being such a massively complex machine if it ever broke down.

I saw the SY-1 listed earlier. Definitely the only synth I totally regret selling. I bought it locally when I was fairly new to synth collecting for $200 so thought they were quite common LOL. Sold it for $700 online and thought I'd find another one later. Nope. Or any SYs locally. Thankfully I played it a lot and have a lot of it recorded. My Arp Pro Soloist is the same in a lot of ways but doesn't have quite as big or as round of a sound.

There's a lot of vintage I sometimes wish I held on to now that vintage is so expensive. Sometimes for no other reason that I could sell them for a lot more money now :)

I used the proceeds from vintage for new modular which hasn't risen the same in price but I love and use the modular more so in the long run I am being true to myself and what I really like.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:38 pm

As far as mojo goes. Instant, unconditional love is had with my Korg 770, Octave Cat SRM, Solina String Ensemble, Juno 60, Syncussion. Modular-wise the Blippoo Box and Serge stuff.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

Mac Moog
Gear: ARP 2600, Alesis A6 Andromeda, Mellotron 4000D, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg MS-10/20/700s, Kurzweil PC3K, Oberheim Matrix 12, Yamaha CS-60/AN1x

Post by Mac Moog » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:46 pm

From all the synths in my rig, I would say that the Oberheim Matrix 12 has a huge Mojo sound. Then immediately after, would be the Yamaha CS-60. The 60 is louder than the 12, but so very different. The third close contender would be the ARP 2600.

Voodoo Ray
Gear:
Akai
Waldorf
Roland
Yamaha

Post by Voodoo Ray » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:20 am

Strangely enough the Juno2. Bit of an underdog synth, but it just fits in to everything, earning a place at the table.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:08 pm

Mac Moog wrote:From all the synths in my rig, I would say that the Oberheim Matrix 12 has a huge Mojo sound.
I have been waiting for this mention at long last. It gets my vote, too.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:53 am

Rokk wrote:I had Doepfer Dark Energy mk1 and sold it (BIIIIG mistake). Plenty of mojo, especially in PWM department. Best PWM I've ever heard. I want to get that thing back!
Yamaha SY1 also has some serious mojo. A funky machine :)
Recently I played Arturia Minibrute. Definitely lots of mojo there.
I own a couple DE's. I like them a lot, but I'd hardly say mojo comes to mind. This may be because as much as I like them, I have several other synths that have much better filters and more intuitive envelopes.
My Taurus III, even though it's a pain in the a*s (pain in the neck actually) to program is just more of big wooly gooey monster. The Dark Energy is kind of my utility synth. It get's patched into other synths when I want a LFO-ed 2nd osc or something of that nature. Yeah the PWM is great, but it is hardly the best PWM I have on hand. My SH09 kind of goes deeeep on it's PWM.

Someone mentioned the MG1? That is kind of my definition of mojo. I've played a lot of other Moogs, but that little synth is so bratty and just plain 70's/80's sounding! The polyphony section gets a lot of hate. But it actually can make for some nifty sounds. Think phaser effect and a low mono osc for an early Kraftwerk tone. Or just a touch of filter and LFO and its kinda funky.
It also has a more nasal/shrill tone than most other Moogs. Kind of more Devo and less Prog? Aside from the mushy action it is one of my favorites.
I wish mine would come back from the dead!

(my avatar is an MG1 btw)
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:53 am

I remember a sentence from a CS-60 review I read once, "The cs60 has 60% of the features of the cs80, but 80% less of its big brother's problems and instability issues. I'd choose the 60 over the 80 any time"

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:58 pm

I already have a MicroKorg, and I like the working method. But I acquired an MS-2000R some time ago and am just now starting to get a feel for it. I've experienced a lot of mojo with it, because of the mod sequencer, arpeggiator (of course) and the immediacy of the controls. If' you're on the fence about Micro vs. MS-2000, I would say MS--I got mine for only a little more than the Micro. I still love the MK of course, but it doesn't have the same hands-on mojo as its older brother.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:57 pm

I'm sort of fuzzy on the idea of 'mojo'.

That being said, the three most interesting synths I've owned that have magical qualities are (in order):
  • DK Synergy 2+
  • Oberheim Matrix 12
  • DSI Poly Evolver
...and I dearly miss them all. :cry:
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:41 pm

it is certainly one of those fuzzy terms like 'funky', 'Art' or 'democracy'.
Over on the bass guitar and music production forums I hang out on Mojo is usually taken to mean a beat to c**p or at least very well used piece of gear that exudes tone.
The perennial example is an old Fender Jazz bass which has seen hundreds of bar gigs, it probably lived behind the bar and was used by various itinerant bassists. Stained by tobacco (back when you could smoke in bars) and drenched in beers. It is probably a bit hard to play, but just emanates big fat round notes you can hang your laundry off of.

In the synth world I find it hard to think of any better equivalent to the Jazz Bass than a Moog of some sort. But that is kind of unfair isn't it?
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:29 pm

silikon wrote:'m sort of fuzzy on the idea of 'mojo'.
This is what I meant by "Mojo" (from the original post):

So...what synth that you have played have you just sort of "melded" with very quickly? What's been the most intuitive instrument that has given you a more-than-aesthetic experience, where you feel that the instrument is just an extension of yourself?

My primary pick was Jupiter-6 (jamming with split keyboard and 1-2 arps running, being triggered by a drum machine). Magic.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:20 am

I haven't owned many synths but I would say the MiniMoog following by the CS-50.

That's just personal experience based on what I've owned/played.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:19 pm

The Sub37 is certainly one now. So quick and fun. It feels so good that I think the patch memory weirds me out a bit.
Of course it's brilliant to have the convenience but I'll definitely be wiping all the presets and only saving the stuff I really need. Diving in as though it's old with no memory is the funnest part.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:25 am

calaverasgrande wrote:Someone mentioned the MG1? That is kind of my definition of mojo. I've played a lot of other Moogs, but that little synth is so bratty and just plain 70's/80's sounding! The polyphony section gets a lot of hate. But it actually can make for some nifty sounds. Think phaser effect and a low mono osc for an early Kraftwerk tone. Or just a touch of filter and LFO and its kinda funky.
It also has a more nasal/shrill tone than most other Moogs. Kind of more Devo and less Prog? Aside from the mushy action it is one of my favorites.
I wish mine would come back from the dead!

(my avatar is an MG1 btw)
I'm always glad to see someone give the MG1 some love. It is desperately under-appreciated! Yeah, it's crappy in a lot of exterior ways, but dang if it isn't capable of a very great deal of nice and interesting sounds!
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay