Played a Model D, had an epiphany!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
smitty.west
Gear: Oberheim OB-8
Roland SH-101
Teenage Engineering OP-1
Akai S1000HD & S1000PB

Played a Model D, had an epiphany!

Post by smitty.west » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:55 am

I'm fairly new to the wonderful world of synthesis so my experience with classic analog synths is-- or rather was-- limited, but last night I had the chance to play several of my friends classics, among which were the Jupiter 6, Jupiter 8, OBX, SH3A, Voyager, etc., etc. and... a Model D.

WOW

I've never been so smitten by a piece of gear in my life before. This thing was truly revelatory for me. I'm still grinning, 24 hours later. Most people who haven't played one first hand know how a MiniMoog sounds, but hearing it in person greatly surpasses any preconceived notions you might have about it. I had an audio-epiphany. Warm, fat, soaring, rich, etc.

This will be my next synth- hopefully in the New Year.

I know what I'm sharing here isn't news; it's just a personal revelation.

Never have I felt this good and excited about a piece of gear. Can't wait to get one and be inspired.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Re: Played a Model D, had an epiphany!

Post by Walter Ego » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:30 am

Congratulations. It'll pretty much be down hill from there... :D
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:20 am

Same thing with me 25 years ago.

And it still is.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:43 am

You're very lucky to try the cream of the crop so early. Or unlucky, depends on how you look at it.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:50 pm

The problem with GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) is that once you get your hands on "the best", you want something else. Maybe a Prophet-5. Or an OB-8. Or Andromeda. Or Yamaha Motif. It never stops.

Which is why rich guitarists amass a collection of 20+ guitars.

"The sustain on this one..."

smitty.west
Roland SH-101
Teenage Engineering OP-1
Akai S1000HD & S1000PB

Post by smitty.west » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:44 pm

haha, oh believe me i'm far too well acquainted with gas. i come from a guitar background myself so i know. already have an ob8! with synths though i just keep two at any given time.

ideal would be model d + jp-8 combo.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:57 pm

Yep, the Model D is sure tempting although current prices make it unavailable to most (only about 15,000 were made in it's ten year run).

What did you think about it relative to the Voyager? I think the Voyager is the far more useful instrument, not to mention it's actually affordable ;) but there is a certain something about the Model D. It's a limited synth in so many ways...no PWM, no independent D and R on the EGs, no dedicated LFO, limited mod routings, etc., all corrected in the Voyager... but somehow it hits a real sweet spot that has endeared it to so many musicians.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:04 pm

The Voyager is a fantastic instrument... really powerful, brimming with unique functionality, and with a great sound.

And yet, people sell their Voyagers to get a Minimoog.

Of course, some will dismiss this as some sort of status thing. And, I'm sure someone, or some people, have done it for a status thing.

But I've found that the OP's experience is really common. A person gets access to a Minimoog, plays it, and falls in love. It's not about status, it's about the unique architecture and resultant sound of the Minimoog. It's about the aesthetic and aural experience. And, ultimately, it's about the "sweet spot." It isn't a spot. It's the entirety of the functional range. Everything sounds rich and gorgeous on the danged thing.

Of course, different musicians go to synthesizers for different reasons, and some people just aren't looking for the creamy goodness of Minimoog. If you're looking for a functional studio tool with a great sound and vast functionality, of course, you can't go wrong with the Voyager.

But the Minimoog really appeals to a person's desire for pleasing sound, and a pleasing experience making a pleasing sound.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:28 pm

A random stranger on the Internet and I read your posts in your voice. Don't you find that f**k weird? I think it is.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:08 am

Marc's voice is not a human voice. It is the voice of a God speaking inside your head. That is why you unconciously do it.

smitty.west
Roland SH-101
Teenage Engineering OP-1
Akai S1000HD & S1000PB

Post by smitty.west » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:02 am

It's funny, 'cause going into it-- trying the Model D-- I had a very firmly asserted notion in my mind that I'm NOT a Moog guy after having tried several of their newer creations (Sub Phatty, Slim Phatty [pretty much each version] Minitaur, etc.) and had a Voyager right next to Model D. I'm also not some "vintage snob"- I don't earn enough to be haha- so didn't go into it with the "well it's vintage, it's got to be better" mindset. I went in with no expectations and came out grinning ear to ear. The Voyager was decent at best in comparison- but maybe that's the problem; comparing it to a legend. I don't hear with my ego, I hear with my ears, so deciding to go for a Model D is really a purely aural decision for me. No status or any such thing has influenced me. I'm just so overcome with joy that a sound like that exists. The intuitiveness of it is also incredibly alluring to someone synth-dumb such as myself. So turns out maybe I am a Moog guy after all! C'est la vie...

Also this video sends me over the top... WOW!

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:45 am

"Their newer creations?"
The Voyager is the current Moog Music's oldest creation.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:56 am

I had a very similar experience with my first minimoog hands on interaction. I think one of the most pleasing things about the minimoog is it IS a sweet spot. There really is no bad setting on there. you can just randomly turn knobs randomly all day and it will always sound amazing (even when it's set up to make no sound, it some how sounds fatter than other synths while silent)

I own a Voyager, which I think sounds incredible, but I think the voyager shines best at what the model d doesn't do, which doesn't mean it sucks at classic Moog sounds.
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:19 am

I'll admit that I was never really into the Minimoog - I'm from the original 70's generation that fell into either the Moog or ARP camp.

Although my Mini is self built (I had a bunch of components left over after my 2600 build, and was curious), it's become my favorite go-to synth. I was always skeptical about the "sheer power" that Moog lovers always ranted on about and I'm glad to say I was proved wrong.

There *is* something magical about it, and I still have no idea what it is.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:40 pm

Note that AG said "MiniMoog" not "Model D". Because they're all "Model D".

Wait, Broadwave, you BUILT a 2600 and a Minimoog from the LEFTOVERS? Impressive :)

The magic is Bob Moog doing the best he could with the components of the day. Like the 741 op amp. That thing is s**t. But Bob knew exactly how s**t. Bob's "best" was world class :)