Schober Tunesmith

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Schober Tunesmith

Post by Walter Ego » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:26 am

There is scant info on the interwebz about this, but it looks intriguing, if only for its rarity. A DIY kit of some sort, I'm guessing. If I had $$ to play around with I would try to win this auction. Info I found places it around '68 or '69...but as a synth it has very little control. Curious how it sounds, though. Apparently Schober also had a very early drum machine that could be played and triggered with an organ instead of just playing back preset rhythms.

(Someone get this thing!)

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Vi ... 19604.html

This probably belongs in the auction list page, but I thought it was interesting enough to post here.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Schober Tunesmith

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:43 am

Schober was a USA organ mfr who sold their instruments only as kits...yes, you had to built it yourself!

Never heard of this synth, though.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:55 am

I really dig the right hand keys left hand knobs interface vibe it has, wish more synths would do that these days.

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:03 pm

Looks like it was a one note organ that could be ordered as a kit or assembled.
PDF of a 1969 Popular Electronics article with the Tunesmith.
Popular Electronics Schober kits

Nice case and 2-1/2 octave Pratt-Read keyboard, but the tone was probably not high quality?