Interview of R D James (gear, modular gear, etc.)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
KBD_TRACKER

Interview of R D James (gear, modular gear, etc.)

Post by KBD_TRACKER » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:20 am

(I did a fast search in VSE so I hope this is not redundant ...)

Quite detailed, lenghty and "technical" interview ... some controversial stuff also ;)
To be frank lots of gear mentioned there was unfamiliar to me.

"I love music by people who dont know wtf they are doing...its the best...".

http://noyzelab.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/ ... part1.html

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: Interview of R D James (gear, modular gear, etc.)

Post by pflosi » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:03 pm

Genius

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:19 pm

I tried reading that interview and most of it made no sense to me at all so I gave up about 1/4 of the way through.

So is he married with kids or not? At one point he says he made it up and then later writes about his kids. WTF :roll:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:20 pm

Who cares? Look at that PS3300 stack! :lol: 8-)

I enjoyed reading through that interview very much, feels like it's 1997 again :mrgreen:

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:35 pm

He's a notorious liar, I mean, he takes the piss.
Wish he'd write a bit better though as he's clearly not stupid.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:12 pm

zoomtheline wrote:He's a notorious liar, I mean, he takes the piss.
Given he's been doing that for years, it almost comes across as pathological--but then of course, who knows what he's like in person?
Buying his first "real" synth in late '86 seems to confirm that he's been doing it from the beginning. What was he using before that for CAW ca. '85? :roll: :lol:

I do love all the technical stuff though--you can't make that up.
Do you even post on vse bro?

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:27 pm

Yeah, it's an interesting read regardless. I do wonder if ebay pricks ask silly prices for the gear mentioned though.

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, Pro-One, Juno-60, JX-3P, AX80, SQ80, AN1x, DX100, DX7E!, DX7IIFDE!, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Drumtraks, TR-08 and Eurorack

Post by Swayze » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:32 pm

He's quite a character. I had to scan a lot of this but found it pretty interesting overall. Seemed like a lot of drug flashbacks and tangents about government control in the beginning. As dis-jointed and off-topic as some of his answers were, it still made for good reading. And yeah, what's the deal with his russian girlfriend and 2 sons? They gotta be real...

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:36 pm

Talk about taking the piss...the CD cover lists all the business expenses from the release process and exactly what gear was (maybe) used on every track in a format that hurts to read. It's a PITA just to get the CD out to play it.

Of course, none of that information actually matters, his primary instrument is between his ears and you can't buy that on eBay.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:09 am

"taking the piss" is more or less ingrained in British people from early age.

Watch a few Top Gear UK episodes to see what I mean. Those guys take the piss at eachother all the time, that's what makes their show so damn funny.

I actually googled Aphex Twine by accident, and am surprised by how many that has misspelled his artist name in various articles.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:19 am

Bitexion wrote:"taking the piss" is more or less ingrained in British people from early age.
taking the piss isn't the same as habitual lying.

I like that he references the legendary "tank" though. Some consistency for sure. Maybe he actually has one.
Do you even post on vse bro?

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:55 am

I certainly hope the truther BS is him taking a piss.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:40 am

meatballfulton wrote:Of course, none of that information actually matters, his primary instrument is between his ears and you can't buy that on eBay.
yeppp. forget the gear fetishism, the mind/body is the real instrument. he has some good ideas i scanned in this article, but to be completely honest, i dont *get* his music at all. its technical, its precise, but it doesnt do *it* for me. mostly i find its just music for guitar players to take acid to for the first time and get their mind blown... :roll:

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:40 am

British people just like dig at peoples stupidity and to call people out on their bullshit all while talking bullshit themselves. It's a never ending source of comedy (for us, no one else probably)

As for the gear price hiking... People will always hope that a piece of gear will help them sound like him or have it just to say they have it to their Ahpex fanboy mates and never work out how to use it.
Fanboys of any artist etc can get crazy. I mean, I like RDJ's stuff, i'd say i'm a fan but i'm not a creepy kook.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:48 am

Sir Ruff wrote:Buying his first "real" synth in late '86 seems to confirm that he's been doing it from the beginning. What was he using before that for CAW ca. '85? :roll: :lol:
Ya, nice to see that bullshit myth busted. There's a track in the soundcloud that it seems he actually really did when he was 15. Hard to say definitively, but it doesn't show the maturity of the stuff on SAW 1.

I'm inclined to think that the DX100 sysex tapes are bullshit too. But it's kinda worrying if he went to the trouble of producing aged documentation! I guess he's now the boy who cried wolf :(

I've seen no evidence of gear price hiking. Although we'll see if someone tries it on with the TX16W. I have one. The virtual version, Cyclone, is exactly the same. And I mean exactly. As a long time TX16W user.