Minimoog Fade-In Effect?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ItalianStallion81

Re: Minimoog Fade-In Effect?

Post by ItalianStallion81 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:43 pm

The exact fade-in effect I want to recreate can be heard here:

~Ben
Last edited by ItalianStallion81 on Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:44 pm

madtheory wrote:Thanks, I'll see if I can find that control on my Casio.

Sir Ruff wrote:
You can't--the CZ doesn't have an analog volume control.

Damn, OK, so I need to get an analouge?
You need analouge fingours. Mine are digital; I converted them in the 80s when digital was cool. I can automate them with MIDI but they're still a bit steppy because I couldn't afford the firmware upgrade to 2.03.
The next thing you need is two saw waves so you can detune them. =D>
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:49 pm

If you have a filter cutoff parameter you can do the same thing! But only if your ADSR envelopes are longer than 30 seconds of course. Can't turn the knob/slider itself.

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, Pro-One, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, AN1x, DX100, DX7E!, DX7IIFDE!, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Drumtraks, TR-08 and Eurorack

Post by Swayze » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:13 pm

Thanks for the tip. The volume pot is the best, I find myself using it a lot. :headbang:

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:46 pm

Walter Ego wrote:
You need analouge fingours. Mine are digital; I converted them in the 80s when digital was cool.
Mine are digital too. Doc says it's genetic. Hey, we must be related man!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:03 pm

pflosi wrote:#-o

Thanks man super helpful diagram I found it. Rockin the level as we speak :)

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:54 am

madtheory wrote:Thanks, I'll see if I can find that control on my Casio.
Sir Ruff wrote:You can't--the CZ doesn't have an analog volume control.
Damn, OK, so I need to get an analouge?
yeah, I think the CZ uses DCO for volume.
Do you even post on vse bro?

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:18 am

madtheory wrote:
pflosi wrote:#-o

Thanks man super helpful diagram I found it. Rockin the level as we speak :)
Cool man, glad I could help. Yeah it's a little tricky to find. Free DCO tremolo! I actually prefer it that way, nicely in phase.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:05 pm

pflosi wrote:Cool man, glad I could help. Yeah it's a little tricky to find. Free DCO tremolo! I actually prefer it that way, nicely in phase.
Ya I think this control is actually analouge? But I operate it digitally.

gs

Post by gs » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:47 pm

Somewhat related to this... I was wondering if I could use a 1975 Yamaha GX-1, or a 1936 Hammond Novachord, or an 1897 Thaddeus Cahill Telharmonium... to press a key, get a sound, and then slowly fade that sound down? Now, I know FOR SURE that these are the only 3 instruments on Planet Earth where this kind of complex synthesis gesture is possible. How on earth is this done?
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:07 pm

gs wrote:Somewhat related to this... I was wondering if I could use a 1975 Yamaha GX-1, or a 1936 Hammond Novachord, or an 1897 Thaddeus Cahill Telharmonium... to press a key, get a sound, and then slowly fade that sound down? Now, I know FOR SURE that these are the only 3 instruments on Planet Earth where this kind of complex synthesis gesture is possible. How on earth is this done?
There is one other rare instrument upon which this complex synthesis gesture can be performed, and it is certainly NOT Leonid Termen's hunk of junk--everyone knows that is operated by small Russian elves living inside the oversized wooden cabinet (see figure 1). No, it is the Casio VL-1. One can actually take one's own hand and move it in a vertical (up and down) motion above the audio output (aka "c**p Speaker"), both "fading in" and alternatively creating a "tremolo" effect by rapidly hovering it. It is a great feat of musical hand-eye coordination, but can be accomplished with many years of tutelage and rigorous practice.

See Figure 2 for visual reference.

Figure 1: Russian Elves hiding inside RCA Theremin cabinet.

Figure 2: Complex Synthesis Volume Gesture performed by virtuoso hobbyist
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

vicd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blofeld, Formanta (EMS01, Maestro, Mini), Fusion 8HD, JD800, Morpheus, MP7, Plugiator, TG77, TOM1501, TR626, UltraProteus, V-Synth XT
Band: ROBOPOP

Post by vicd » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:56 pm

Walter Ego wrote: Figure 2: Complex Synthesis Volume Gesture performed by virtuoso hobbyist
Roland recently came up with its own bland emulation, pretentiously called "D-Beam". Still powered by elves (Japanese ones now).

I don't like the drums, but the drums like me!

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:34 pm

gs wrote:Somewhat related to this... I was wondering if I could use a 1975 Yamaha GX-1, or a 1936 Hammond Novachord, or an 1897 Thaddeus Cahill Telharmonium... to press a key, get a sound, and then slowly fade that sound down? Now, I know FOR SURE that these are the only 3 instruments on Planet Earth where this kind of complex synthesis gesture is possible. How on earth is this done?
On those, I don't think its possible. To achieve that effect, you have to manually cover the speaker slowly. Or ask the audience to leave to room at a set speed. Or cover their ears.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:08 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
On those, I don't think its possible. To achieve that effect, you have to manually cover the speaker slowly. Or ask the audience to leave to room at a set speed. Or cover their ears.
I found a better way to acheive this effect.

I put the synth player on a flatbed truck and had it slowly drive away. This works best for outdoor gigs.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:54 am

Or you could also put just the synth's pickup on the truck and push it down a hill. I find it reduces extraneous engine throttling noises during the recording process. Although, some people might... um yeah never mind I lost my train of thought... frozen marshmallows.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]