Behringer to make analog polysynths !

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Re: Behringer to make analog polysynths !

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:38 am

Behringer stuff isn't bad per se. It's just got this flat grey unmusical vibe. I've owned various bits of their stuff. Mixers, Ada, dynamics etc. in a non critical environment it does the trick. But recording? Maybe if you are a broke teen. Otherwise work late and pinch pennies for real gear.
I'd also say you have to have higher standards than "it passes audio, it's great!"
There are products out there that literally do sound great, they gently nudge the sound in a better direction and don't get ugly when you exceed design parameters. Then there are the ones that do the minimum to output a signal.

OTOH the used synth market is out of control. I'd be happy to see some cheap poly. I am not paying what folks want to charge for an alpha Juno or jx3p. They are good not great!
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:10 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:That would be bloody hilarious if Behringer came out with an analog poly before moog :lol:
Well they came out with a digital mixer before Midas did, but have a listen to a DDX3216 and then tell me if that's a good thing or not. ;)

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:55 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:That would be bloody hilarious if Behringer came out with an analog poly before moog :lol:
Well they came out with a digital mixer before Midas did, but have a listen to a DDX3216 and then tell me if that's a good thing or not. ;)
Well Midas is behringer now, so moot point.
( Klark teknik as well)
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:29 pm

Stabb humorously wanted to point out that they tried themselves first, failed miserably, then decided to buy up a competent team (Midas) to do it for them...

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:30 pm

yeah, but I wasn't sure that most folks were aware that they are the same company now.
I aint gonna lie, I've considered a Midas/Behringer board.Kinda hard to beat at the price point. If it's 3/4ths as good as pre-buyout Midas It should be worth it.
I'm pretty dissapointed about K-T being made by Behringer now. That used to be the ne plus ultra of graphic eq. I'm sure the bean counters at Behringer will decide to cheapen the power supply, chassis and other things that aren't necessarily in the audio path.

Back on topic, the one place I'd be most skeptical about an analog synth from Behringer is the firmware. It seems like that is the place a lot of companies screw up. I don't recall any of my vintage (or just older) gear having such frightful issues with firmware as modern stuff does?
Maybe it's because there is the ability to update it later via USB. Or maybe it is because modern coders are more accustomed to high level languages and not a lot of them work in low level code. Where back in the 70's and into the 80's you HAD to do low level code to get anything done whether you were coding on a microcontroller or a desktop. High level languages were too resource intensive to rely on for the soup to nuts of it.

I'd expect them to cut corners there, anyone have any experience with the B control stuff?

gs

Post by gs » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:44 pm

Everything old is new again...

1974: "It would be bloody hilarious if Yamaha came out with an analog poly before Moog."
1975: Yamaha CS-80 - SUCCESS
1975: Moog Polymoog - (oops! it's paraphonic, not polyphonic -- let's try that again...)

1977: "It would be bloody hilarious if Sequential came out with an analog poly before Moog."
1978: Sequential Prophet 5 - SUCCESS
1982: Moog Memorymoog - (oops! damn thing overheats, drifts out of tune every 5 minutes, can't sit in a mix if it tried -- let's try that again...)

Fast-forward to:

2014: "It would be bloody hilarious if Behringer came out with an analog poly before Moog."
Does Moog need to go down this road again?? :lol:
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:03 am

There have been Behringer products I'm surprised by, but most of the time, they fail miserably. I'm open to this thing being a gem, but I can't shake that voice in my head that keeps saying "M-Audio Venom Part 2".
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Post by mharris80 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:08 am

calaverasgrande wrote:
I'd expect them to cut corners there, anyone have any experience with the B control stuff?
My BCR is still working fine 4 years on. (knocks on wood) Mostly use it as a second MIDI interface for the computer, but still use it as a control from time to time. None of the encoders have crapped out or gone wonky yet.

stf-ran
Gear: Voyager, DSI P12, Cubase.

Post by stf-ran » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:14 pm

In Moog's defense, an all analog poly synth with VCOs by nature are complicated, expensive beasts. Obviously Moog probably could build whatever synth they dream up. But they are a business not a bunch of guys in a basement. Pay rolls have to be met. They could build it(in Asheville, NC not China) but how many people can afford it? Does it make business sense? Look at all those synth companies from the 70s and 80s that are gone now. It's a tough business.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:04 pm

gs wrote:
Everything old is new again...

1974: "It would be bloody hilarious if Yamaha came out with an analog poly before Moog."
1975: Yamaha CS-80 - SUCCESS
1975: Moog Polymoog - (oops! it's paraphonic, not polyphonic -- let's try that again...)

1977: "It would be bloody hilarious if Sequential came out with an analog poly before Moog."
1978: Sequential Prophet 5 - SUCCESS
1982: Moog Memorymoog - (oops! damn thing overheats, drifts out of tune every 5 minutes, can't sit in a mix if it tried -- let's try that again...)

Fast-forward to:

2014: "It would be bloody hilarious if Behringer came out with an analog poly before Moog."
Does Moog need to go down this road again?? :lol:
Frankly the way they swan about as if they own analog, yes they do.

The major challenges of the day being the digital circuitry is *not* an issue now, and as for cost, if they can do a gold-plated Voyager and an emerson modular well... :?

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:24 pm

I'm intrigued but at the same time... worried.

Well maybe if they manage to shift loads of them other (better) synth maker's ears may prick up.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:12 pm

Yay! The pedant is here!

The CS-80 didn't come out in 1975. The CS-50 came out before the CS-80 in 1977.

The Polymoog wasn't entirely paraphonic. The presets were not paraphonic at all. The Polycom chip had a synth for each note. While some may have disappointed about the synth, many weren't. There simply hadn't been anything like it. I know people would like to embrace synthesizers that came after it and think of it as some sort of failure, but it wasn't. It was the first popular production synthesizer, irrespective of its weird and overly-complex design by Dave Luce.

Bob Moog himself said that synths like the CS-80 weren't actually polyphonic, and should be called "multi-phonic," because they had such limited note counts. The term "polyphony" as applied to synthesizers is about note count, not about articulation.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:56 pm

Gotta love the para/poly/mono/multi-phonic nerd discussions xD

AG, Check yer twatter btw.

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:30 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:OTOH the used synth market is out of control. I'd be happy to see some cheap poly. I am not paying what folks want to charge for an alpha Juno or jx3p. They are good not great!
yall gotta be completely batshit crazy to think a new feature-per-fader analog poly is gonna spring onto the market and wipe down the used synth market just because you will it into existence... and especially so if you cant even exercise the patience to utilize one of the many perfectly usable, perfectly affordable one-param analogs already available, produced in the hundreds of thousands... batshit. :cry:

but in the fairness of discussion, and since uli has professed to its development, it does make an odd bit of sense that behringer, who literally built a city in china to control their own components and mfg process would be the feasible candidate for such a feat. not your rolands/yamahas/korgs that have spend 15 years and millions of dollars on software modeling... if behringer effectively cloned the dimension c, i wouldnt put a discrete synthesizer above them...

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:39 pm

I dont think any new synth is going to have one iota of affect on the used market. If anything, history has shown otherwise. The re-emergence of Moog on the synth scene certainly seemed to have had an affect on vintage Moogs. I'm more commenting that the used analog synth market is bonkers. Totally c**p synths are still going up in price simply because they are analog. And the merely good enough synths are priced beyond what they are worth.
I love me some vintage analog stuff, but unless I trip over a bargain I'm pretty much sticking to newer gear from here on out. The multitude of new manufacturers making CV-able gear is pretty awesome. Especially since a lot of it (Arturia for example) can also take midi.
Knob per feature vs Alpha Juno/Jx8p style data input has been debated before. I actually tend to think that Moogs approach on the Little Phatty and Taurus 3 is a great compromise. Not every param is available all the time, but you aren't having to function+()key to get to regular things either.

As far as Behringer, I'm not surprised really. If you read up on the founder of the company, he built his own synth when he was a teen. I am surprised that they are willing to stick the oft maligned Behringer name on the synth though. If it was my decision to make I'd have gone with another marque entirely, kind of how they did with Bugera.
Maybe "Boog", "Boland" or "Borg"? :lol:
Last edited by calaverasgrande on Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.