Behringer to make analog polysynths !

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
gs

Re: Behringer to make analog polysynths !

Post by gs » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:38 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:the used synth market is out of control.
The used ANALOG synth market is out of control.

The used digital synth market is a goldmine. It has built my 3-keyboard rig (with custom sampling, modulation matrices, 13 types of physical modeling, huge library of sounds, excellent hardware)... for about $1,600.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:32 pm

gs wrote:
calaverasgrande wrote:the used synth market is out of control.
The used ANALOG synth market is out of control.

The used digital synth market is a goldmine. It has built my 3-keyboard rig (with custom sampling, modulation matrices, 13 types of physical modeling, huge library of sounds, excellent hardware)... for about $1,600.
Agreed. Analog market has risen even in the last two years (except for MS-20 users :/). But VAs are getting even cheaper (Ultranova, MS-2000) and Casio CZ prices remain dirt cheap (despite certain sellers asking ridiculous prices)...they can still be had for peanuts. I guess that's the low end of the market compared to what GS is talking about, but still he has a good point.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:44 pm

I meant to say 'ann-uh-logue'.
As the kids these days say, 'My Bad'.

I've been eyeballing some of the digital synths that haven't exactly broken cover yet.
I'm a big fan of wavetable stuff and every now and then I see some of those for cheaps.
I'll never own a PPG, but the subsequent wavetable machines by more stable brands look pretty interesting. I just wish there were some with shorter 49 key keyboards. I am not one of those two handed keyboarding dudes! All them extra keys will just end up covered in manuals and junk food wrappers. No really, my rig is two narrow stacks of junk in the space one normal keyboard stand would fit.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:56 pm

I don't agree that VAs are getting cheaper. If anything the older VAs are getting more expensive than they were 5 or 6 years ago.

mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Post by mharris80 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:09 pm

calaverasgrande wrote: Maybe "Boog", "Boland" or "Borg"? :lol:
How about "Morg" :mrgreen:

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:30 am

Everyone who really needs an analogue poly right now: How are you enjoying your Modulus 002? Cause you all bought one right?

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.

Post by calaverasgrande » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:53 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Everyone who really needs an analogue poly right now: How are you enjoying your Modulus 002? Cause you all bought one right?
I don't think people who would buy a Behringer polysynth are in the market for a $5000 beast.

Besides, it isn't as if there are no other analog polys in the world.
Dave Smith, and some guy named Oberheim seem to have products along those lines.
And then there is Elektron.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:37 am

Well Behringer are and pretty much always have been positioned in the market as an alternative to second hand gear. It just bugs me that whenever there's any discussion of a new synth of whatever kind, everybody goes 'Oh if only … came out with … then I'd buy it', but then when when that happens they just complain about something else.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:05 am

well we arent all Richard James or Vince Clarke. Us mere mortals have to pick and choose the one or two big purchases a year. I'm weighing what mine will be right now. Probably just get a Moog. :mrgreen:

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:41 am

Prophet-600s are still pretty cheap for a VCO polysynth and there's a new CPU/OS available that gives it tons of new features...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:33 am

synthparts wrote:Prophet-600s are still pretty cheap for a VCO polysynth and there's a new CPU/OS available that gives it tons of new features...
Shhhhhh...keep that on the down low. I'm still tryin to get one before prices skyrocket.

synthRodriguez
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog - Roland - Yamaha

Post by synthRodriguez » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:31 pm

Well, for better or for worse, one thing Behringer has achieved is brand name recognition, especially with the younger set.

The really young up-and-comers who see their high school idols (you know, the cool kids) playing in basements with Behringer gear will see a keyboard with a name they recognize and it will be cheap enough that they can talk their parents into buying one for them.

It'll sell fine, regardless of how it sounds.
Last edited by synthRodriguez on Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:54 pm

scottrod wrote:It'll sell fine, regardless of how it sounds.
And I'm quite sure the big B is telling that to themselves as well...

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:22 pm

I've never been a fan of Behringer, but we are kind of judging it harshly on it's sound, without even hearing it. Let's be fair, a lot of our cherished Japanese brands started as the crappy affordable alternative to Arp and Moog. And while Behringer is kind of synonymous with cheap gear that is 'good enough', when they launched back in the 90's it was on these innovative dynamics processors they made at the time. Which were pretty darn good.

I'm more interested to see who the patent infringement lawsuit will come from.

salwa

Post by salwa » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:01 pm

I have always wondered if Behringer products are really cheap copies of more expensive gear or maybe they are designed to look like them and have similar functionality. It will be rather strange to get away with copying for so long.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl