Xpander/Matrix 12 tips and tricks.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Re: Xpander/Matrix 12 tips and tricks.

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:46 am

Modulating modulators: for example, you can modulate LFO 1's speed with LFO 1, for self-modulation (think it makes it exponential basically). Ditto for envelopes--if you modulate Env 1 attack time with Env 1, the attack becomes exponential (instead of linear).

Re: tone, the xpander/M12 is more polished and refined than any of its predecessors, but it still is very much a "vintage sound"--lots of mid-range, not a lot of high or low-end. Almost muffled at times. This becomes really apparent when you compare it to a modern analog such as the Andromeda.
Do you even post on vse bro?

pinksoir
Gear: Korg Volca Keys,
Korg Polysix,
Roland JX3P,
Teisco SX-400 ,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha SK20.
Band: Bear Worship

Post by pinksoir » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:47 pm

Exponential, you say. Wow that sounds like some cosmic possibilities...

Yeah, by modern I mean 'more modern than the analogs I've owned previously' which includes stuff like the 3P, CS50, Prophet 600, CS15 etc. To me it sounds pretty slick and precise compared to those ('cept maybe the 3P) which would be something I'd associate with a modern analog sound. I haven't been able to compare it with any contemporary stuff but yeah, regardless, I think it sounds amazing! It can be incredibly fat, or it can be thin. And many, many things in between.
Last edited by pinksoir on Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I think it would be egotistical of me to say, 'I thought of it'. What happened is, I opened my mind up and the idea came through and into my head." - Bob Moog

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:55 pm

Self-modulating envelopes is awesome, you can turn them into very different shapes. Do it a lot on my modular. I don't have a M12 / Xpander, but theoretically that should make it a bit faster as well if you want...? Or does the CPU just c**p out?

Good thread guys, had to turn on my A6 now :)

pinksoir
Gear: Korg Volca Keys,
Korg Polysix,
Roland JX3P,
Teisco SX-400 ,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha SK20.
Band: Bear Worship

Post by pinksoir » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:03 am

I had great fun today with it again. I spent about an hour messing around with one single pad patch, tweaking and adding subtle modulations. Then I ran it through a chorus and the result was glorious...
"I think it would be egotistical of me to say, 'I thought of it'. What happened is, I opened my mind up and the idea came through and into my head." - Bob Moog

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:05 pm

pinksoir wrote:I had great fun today with it again. I spent about an hour messing around with one single pad patch, tweaking and adding subtle modulations. Then I ran it through a chorus and the result was glorious...

Oooh nice!!
Can't wait to put my studio together finally after years of moving and sh!t hehe
Need a nice chorus also, I really want something close to the Ensemble Effect on the Polysix… Yeah I'll find something..
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..