Variations Competition: Winner

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
AlanC3

Variations Competition: Winner

Post by AlanC3 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:32 pm

There's been exactly one entry for the Variations competition :? and no comments or submissions for over a month.

https://soundcloud.com/VSEVariations

Not much point in setting up a voting thread, then.

So thank you, Black Tomorrow, for taking on the challenge. I hope you do a better job of choosing a subject for the next competition than I did with this one. :(

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Re: Variations Competition: Winner

Post by ninja6485 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:36 pm

Yea... grandfathering the competition decision to the person who won the last one probably isn't the best idea in practice. At the very least, the threads where we all try to decide what we want to do, and what everyone is interested in 1. Draw attention (I forgot this even existed) and 2. Makes sure the competition is a better match to what people are actually interested in doing. Not that the variations competition didn't look like it would have been great, I guess the interest, exposure, and availability of the participants just wasn't in its favor.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:51 am

I had no idea there was even an active contest. Guess I'll have to search old threads.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

_dan

Post by _dan » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:29 am

I would've played but I've been swamped with obligations. This seemed like a really cool theme too, I was hoping to see more entries.
_dan
========================
soundcloud.com/fy_11
Micron, Motif XF8, Reaper
========================

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, Pro-One, Juno-60, JX-3P, AX80, SQ80, AN1x, DX100, DX7E!, DX7IIFDE!, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Drumtraks, TR-08 and Eurorack

Post by Swayze » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:02 am

I wanted to participate but I moved to a new locale around the time this competition started. I've spent most my free time job-hunting and a little time literal hunting with my Dad. I really liked the variations idea, just didn't have the time to record anything. So don't feel too bad Alan. :empathy:

Nice work Black Tomorrow, I especially enjoyed the jazz lounge style playing at the end. I wasn't expecting that at all and yet it sounded the most natural for the melody IMO. I'm curious about what style you started with when composing that theme and how it evolved.

Also, what's next?

antilles
Gear: Virus C, String Melody II, Triton, MS-20, M1, Juno-60, Paraphonic 505, SH-09, VK-09, JD-800, JD-990, Pro One, CS-30, SY-1, TX81Z
Band: Antilles

Post by antilles » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:43 am

I also didn't even notice this competition was going on. And I completely agree with ninja6485's post.

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:29 am

Sorry to be late to the party, but family obligations kept me off here for awhile. Anyway, this doesn't exactly feel like "victory" but at least the project was fun to work on. I don't think the theme of the contest was the problem. It's a great idea, but it seems folks around here got caught up in life. As for the next contest, I'm open for suggestions. I thought perhaps something with samples from everyday life. Record samples of any sounds from day to day life and see if you can compose a song using nothing but those samples.

Swayze, to answer your question, the theme was from an old project from about 10 years ago. A friend was working on a short film and wanted a score. The orchestral theme was the original idea, but before I could record it, he asked me to make it more "techno-ey." The first part is a condensed version of that recording. The orchestral part is the oldest idea, but this is the first time I recorded it. Finally, the jazz part was something that's been rattling around in my head for about a year or so. I did these mainly to get acquainted with GPO4 and JABB3, which I recently bought.
You can't synthesize love