Synthfool.com Preservation

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mmp
Gear: VS VL-1 Varios VoyagerRME MinimoogD CS60 SY-2 Kronos M3X MW1 2600 PS3100 DV-800 Z1 Chroma XT Blofeld k5K PolyMoog Avatar MS20 PE-1000 P6 OB6 m4000d
Band: Iberquez

Synthfool.com Preservation

Post by mmp » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:12 pm

The late Kevin Lightner's website is slated to disappear as of March 2015. It sems to me the information there needs to be preserved somewhere on the web and maybe Vintage Synth can make that happen. What do you think?

Regards,

MM
Michael McInnis Productions
www.mm-pro.com

synthparts

Re: Synthfool.com Preservation

Post by synthparts » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:17 pm

Archive.org should have it covered unless the site owner goes out of their way to block them (like the bluesynths guy)...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:54 pm

Have you downloaded the site already?

mmp
Gear: VS VL-1 Varios VoyagerRME MinimoogD CS60 SY-2 Kronos M3X MW1 2600 PS3100 DV-800 Z1 Chroma XT Blofeld k5K PolyMoog Avatar MS20 PE-1000 P6 OB6 m4000d
Band: Iberquez

Post by mmp » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:16 pm

I am going to today.

Archive.org is great, of course. But, their archived versions of past websites don't seem to turn up in search engines, so a little useless if you don't alreay know about past sites with items of interest.

The reality is that the most valuble info (IMO) that Kevin posted will continue to be available in public forums where he was active, like the Moog forum. I have been restoring a Minimoog and Kevin's posts have been very helpful.

Mostly, I am just mourning over the loss of such a valuable contributor to our community.
Michael McInnis Productions
www.mm-pro.com

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:07 pm

there are a couple other internet archives that I know of, but you have to know about those archives, and go there to look for stuff. For obvious reasons they prevent search bots from crawling all of their content.
It is a shame when we lose net resources due to an individuals passing or as often happens, the dissolution of a business or partnership.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave