Poll: Favorite drum machine

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

What is your favorite drum machine?

Akai MPC series
9%
E-mu Drumulator
2%
E-mu SP-12/SP-1200
7%
Elektron Machinedrum/Analog RYTM
10%
LinnDrum
7%
Linn LM-1
12%
Oberheim DX/DMX
3%
Roland TR-808
22%
Roland TR-909
19%
Roland TR-707
2%
Roland TR-606
7%
Yamaha RX-series
No votes

Total votes: 58

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: Poll: Favorite drum machine

Post by pflosi » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:49 pm

madtheory wrote:
pflosi wrote:All drum machines except the Roland TR-505 and the Zoom RT- 233 are good drum machines :headbang:
Fixed it for you :twisted:
:lol: 505 is the only TR missing in my collection, if that says anything... 8-)

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:19 pm

chimney chop wrote:slightly off topic....anyone know what drum machine was used for Cocteau Twins Treasure?
I'd have to take a listen to the song to be certain, but I do know that CT used an Emu Drumulator quite a bit.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:33 pm

salwa wrote:I love my TR 505. It's broken now, but I still love it.
Why? No tuning, no individual outs (so no way to improve crapness of sounds) overall the sound is pokey in the midrange... I just can't see anything good about it, especially compared to the TR-626. Seriously, it's a really over rated machine. It's got the grid display, but so do all the other Rolands. Even a Boss DR-55 is better.
pflosi wrote::lol: 505 is the only TR missing in my collection, if that says anything... 8-)
Just get another TR-626 and saw the extra piece off. It will no longer work- still better than a TR-505. :twisted:

salwa

Post by salwa » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:57 pm

madtheory wrote:
salwa wrote:I love my TR 505. It's broken now, but I still love it.
Why? No tuning, no individual outs (so no way to improve crapness of sounds) overall the sound is pokey in the midrange... I just can't see anything good about it, especially compared to the TR-626. Seriously, it's a really over rated machine. It's got the grid display, but so do all the other Rolands. Even a Boss DR-55 is better.
pflosi wrote::lol: 505 is the only TR missing in my collection, if that says anything... 8-)
Just get another TR-626 and saw the extra piece off. It will no longer work- still better than a TR-505. :twisted:
Well, I like its sounds - simple as that. Also - cheap and easy to program. But I'm probably minority here, as I hate 909 sounds.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:07 pm

madtheory wrote:
Believe me, one 626 is enough... :mrgreen: I do not intend to complete that collection with the 505, I just ignore it and consider it complete already :ugeek:

High_Treason
Gear: Casio CZ-1, CZ-5000, RZ-1.
Yamaha MU90R, SW1000XG.
Korg O1R/W
Roland SCC-1

Post by High_Treason » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:45 pm

My favorite... Always vote the RZ-1. Tried playing with an RX11 but could never really get into the noises it made - aside from one of the snares - and the lack of sampling got on my nerves very quickly. I could never get into the whole LM2 and TR thing either, I borrowed both from someone years back and had a hard time making them do what I wanted, though I think his LM2 was busted.

Granted the sampler in the RZ-1 sounds very lo-fi and gritty, but I kinda like that and it allows you to annoy elitists when you sample their drum machine, especially when theirs cost more and they don't have that feature. Before you say anything, no, it doesn't sound the same; it adds it's own character to it. Otherwise I find the internal sounds to be quite useable.

How about modifying that poll (Assuming the forum allows it) so "RX" says "Other" as nobody has pressed that yet and I think most people will vote for TR's, Linn's and the Akai anyway?

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:50 pm

DSI Tempest,...?
Bassist, synth junkie

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:27 pm

Joy electric uses a tr-505 quite a bit. That's what he used on the fox glove hunt ep. Yeah, it's not the greatest drum machine but it can still sound good in proper context. Example:

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:28 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote:Brooks MonoDrum
um, what?
Do you even post on vse bro?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:41 pm

salwa wrote:Well, I like its sounds - simple as that. Also - cheap and easy to program. But I'm probably minority here, as I hate 909 sounds.
Yes! Of course. Sound is subjective in this regard. I'm having a bit of fun here :)

Way back, the first machine I tried was a used TR-707*, loved it. Went back to buy it and it was gone. A TR-505 came along, supposedly newer/ better. I was too ignorant to realise it was NOT the same. So ya, I'm so over that :)

S'funny, your gear list reads just like mine, over the years. KS rack I love. I hate the Poly 800 tho! :lol:

*Yeesh! Used prices are insane.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:57 pm

totally c**p choices, so I picked Elektron. Though the RTYM and MachineDrum are completely different as far as sounds.

My actual favorite drum machine would either be the Synsonics Drums or Korg KPR77.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

baz99

Post by baz99 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:12 pm

None of the above.

My choice: Yamaha RM50 (rack version) and RY30 (desktop version).

funbytes

Post by funbytes » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:44 pm

baz99 wrote:None of the above.

My choice: Yamaha RM50 (rack version) and RY30 (desktop version).
Yamaha RY30 for me too.

salwa

Post by salwa » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:06 pm

madtheory wrote:
salwa wrote:Well, I like its sounds - simple as that. Also - cheap and easy to program. But I'm probably minority here, as I hate 909 sounds.
Yes! Of course. Sound is subjective in this regard. I'm having a bit of fun here :)

Way back, the first machine I tried was a used TR-707*, loved it. Went back to buy it and it was gone. A TR-505 came along, supposedly newer/ better. I was too ignorant to realise it was NOT the same. So ya, I'm so over that :)

S'funny, your gear list reads just like mine, over the years. KS rack I love. I hate the Poly 800 tho! :lol:

*Yeesh! Used prices are insane.
I have love/hate relationship with Poly 800, but it's only "true vintage analog" in my collection. 505 was my first drum machine, hence my deep, blind love. :D If I had to choose my favorite drum machine, it would be PR 6020 - weird analog polish machine from eightees, ugly as h**l, impossible to program without manual. Looks like my inner hipster is taking control of me. :shock:
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

Jacob Hunt
Gear: An old Polymoog that's on it's way.

Post by Jacob Hunt » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:07 pm

Yamaha MR10
606 like sound, super cool presets, and it cost me $35 :D