Oramics at the London Science museum

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
jaypodesta

Oramics at the London Science museum

Post by jaypodesta » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:40 pm

Popped by the science museum and had a look at the Daphne Oram Oramics machine. Not sure anyone had mentioned they have a little exhibition (see link below) which has a few synths and this amazing machine. It looks quite a piece of work. They also had a ipad style interactive screen too which has become an iPad and phone app which is on iTunes for a bargain 69p !

http://daphneoram.org/event/oramics-at- ... ce-museum/

Well worth a visit.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: Oramics at the London Science museum

Post by madtheory » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:30 pm

O wow, they have Delia Derbyshire's favourite lampshade. Someone should do a Kontakt library with that! I'd love to rescue that VCS3. It needs to be played...

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:27 pm

Putney is mint. Absolutely box fresh. Never really wanted one but actually started to Gas! Leant by EMS.

Purity_Control

Post by Purity_Control » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:20 pm

Ah, I went through London in September and did the V&A instead, which I also totally recommend.

I tend to find the Science museum disappointing, mainly because I'm too swqueamish to be able to look through the top couple of floors of medical stuff, and entire halls about the history of pumps don't really do it for me either.

Must have a look at this though, if I'm passing through again in the near future.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:21 pm

Oh cool. If I ever went to London I would love to see that. The BBC radiophonic lab really had something going for it. There was an app a couple years ago that let you sequence little chunky things like the original Oramics. Pretty outrageous and cool ideas in that thing.

here's a link to the app in action

http://vimeo.com/25301328
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:29 am

Yeah that's the app I mentioned.

desmond

Post by desmond » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:15 am

Yeah, I went there and saw it last year - very cool. Although I enjoyed the Alan Turing exhibit even more...

I'm not sure the CZ1000 they had was really worth being in a display case, but... ;)