Talk Talk - Such a Shame

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Talk Talk - Such a Shame

Postby joeboy » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:20 am

One of the songs that got me into synths. It has some big Jupiter sounds going on, but I'm especially fond of the DX-7 patch around 1:08.

Watch on youtube.com

Any clues on how to go about making a patch like that? Would it be possible with only four operators?
joeboy

Gear: ax-80, jx-8p, v-synth, monotribe, ПИФ, tx81z, sy35, tg77

Re: Talk Talk - Such a Shame

Postby madtheory » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:50 am

I think that's actually a processed Mellotron. You can hear it soloed at the start of the extended mix. Male choir through some kind of envelope filter, or possibly a resonator. You can just about make out the un-processed sound. That kind of resonant sound is exactly the sort of the a DX-7 doesn't do well.

The extended mix is good to hear the different elements more clearly. Excellent arranging and production on this song.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Postby joeboy » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:07 pm

I've seen live vids where that patch is played on the DX-7, but you could be right as far as the studio version is concerned.

I'll try to find one when I'm not on my mobile.
joeboy

Postby madtheory » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:58 pm

Like many bands, the live version is different. Here it's done with a Roland RD1000 keyboard triggering something else, starts at 3:13 but it's only vaguely similar. A choir patch run through a resonant LPF:

Watch on youtube.com

Keyboard player Ian Curnow talks a lot about how they used oscillator cross mode on the JP8. It could be that, and not the processed Mellotron. So maybe Roland RD1000 is triggering an MKS80?
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.

Postby madtheory » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:12 pm

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Micke » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:39 pm

I'm not totally sure there's any DX-7 on the actual studio recording, though they definitely had one
for the subsequent tour. There's an interview with Talk Talk in the July '84 issue of Electronics & soundmaker
where Ian Curnow mentions that the synths used on the album included an OB-X (should be OB-Xa I think),
Jupiter 8 (main synth) and some PPG wave....
I have a feeling it could be the PPG they used for that particular sound. Curnow used to play that part on the
DX-7 live but it didn't sound like on the recording to my ears. The Jup8 is responsible for most of the synth parts
in this song eg the 'elephant' sounds, the lead line (during the chorus) as well as the guitar-like solo...
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby madtheory » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:31 pm

Micke wrote:There's an interview with Talk Talk in the July '84 issue of Electronics & soundmaker

Thanks Micke. I've had a quick google around for Electronics & Music Maker July 1984, but no sign of the Ian Curnow interview scanned. Do you have a copy?
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Micke » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:28 pm

The interview was in the music magazine Electronic Soundmaker & computer music:

http://www.paulbarrett101.webspace.virg ... k-1-lg.jpg
http://www.paulbarrett101.webspace.virg ... k-2-lg.jpg

There's lots more scans here:
http://www.paulbarrett101.webspace.virg ... music.html

Enjoy!
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby madtheory » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:47 pm

Brill! Thanks.

When Tim Friese Greenes Fairlight IIx (or at least, the one he used for this Talk Talk album) was sold at Vemia several years ago, the disks were a separate lot. Apparently some animal noises and all of the vocal dropins. No other use for the Fairlight. Unfortunately that's entirely from memory, the auction record is probably long gone.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby joeboy » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:19 pm

great stuff, thanks guys
joeboy

Postby FACT92 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:32 am

Hey guys!
:D this song is one of my favourites, and just try to sample the intro of the song that is included in the album "The Very Best of Talk Talk" "Such a Shame - Original version". starting with the distinctive "elephant sound." The rest is done with the Arturia Jupiter v8 vst and some samples of the Roland TR-808, drummaxx the lexicon bundle vst and other stuff. I hope you like it and continue to contribute to this project. if you want the elephant sound, ask for it. Greetings from México.

FACT92

Postby elino » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:12 am

Hello everyone. Great discussion, sorry for joining in so late. I totally admire TT for anything they did and am hunting for information on how that track was recorded for quite some time now.
FACT92 wrote:Hey guys!
:D this song is one of my favourites, and just try to sample the intro of the song that is included in the album "The Very Best of Talk Talk" "Such a Shame - Original version". starting with the distinctive "elephant sound." The rest is done with the Arturia Jupiter v8 vst and some samples of the Roland TR-808, drummaxx the lexicon bundle vst and other stuff. I hope you like it and continue to contribute to this project. if you want the elephant sound, ask for it. Greetings from México.

@FACT92: Would be really interesting in your "version" here, but the link does not work. Do you think you can repost? Also I would be highly interested how exactly you rebuilt "The Elephant" as I tried that for a long long time already without success .... Thank you lots!
elino

Postby FACT92 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:59 am

FACT92

Postby Fabyj » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:49 pm

Hi FACT92 and great for your "elephant sound"
I have Arturia JP8 vst and Roland Cloud JP8 vst but i can't find way to build this sound.
How I can get it or if you can send me the patch please?
Regards,
Fabyj
Fabyj

Return to General Synthesizers