How do you decide a synth is not for you ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
KBD_TRACKER

How do you decide a synth is not for you ?

Post by KBD_TRACKER » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:52 am

I am wondering about the process that leads one to get rid of a piece of gear. This is interesting to me partly since (even though I own relatively few gear, and hardly any "classic") it is not at all easy for me to let go of any even when I have not used them for over year. It becomes almost an emotional or "sentimental" issue to me :? .

I imagine there are many reasons one can be dissatisfied with a synth: tone qualities, user interface, reliability/quality, compatibility with other existing gear, etc. etc. etc.
While some of these reasons may be a bit surprising since pre-testing (when possible) or thorough research could prevent a disappointing purchase decision, these reasons do seem objective, rational and probably quite compelling.

But what interests me is the less obvious reason: whether the synth "gels" with you or not ... Here it is a matter of relationship, of ....feeling.
I suspect getting rid of gear is rarely an agreeable process, it can be (but not always) costly, and can entail a feeling of personal "mistake". Still, from this forum I get that some people do separate easily and speedily with their gear.

So my question is then when and how do you DECIDE that "it's over" ... ?? When and how do you decide that you know ENOUGH about this particular synth (features, musical characteristics, what's inside the manual... ) to decide it's just not four you ???
What convinces you that giving it more time is just a waste ?

Of course this being a highly subjective and personal decision, there is no universal "truth" or right or wrong with it, but I'd appreciate any insight in this process from those who do carry it through...

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Re: How do you decide a synth is not for you ?

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:07 pm

I hate getting rid of things but if you start feeling like you have to turn it on or if you actually can't be arsed to dive in to get a sound you want then it's not a keeper. Selling perfectly good synths is quite heartbreaking but, you don't actually miss them when they are gone.

Percivale
Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Post by Percivale » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:36 pm

Besides a limited 'studio" space, I tell myself I got only so many hours that can be dedicated to synth playing and one pair of hands. Hence, I let go of gear that I do not foresee myself using for a long time. I liked all that I acquire but some has to go at some point in time.

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:49 pm

If it doesn't fit into my music...if I don't have enough time to play it...if I need the money.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:17 pm

Am I using it regularly?

Is it 100% functional without software?

Does it stay in tune over multiple octaves (analogs, doh)?

Only a few synths over the years have jumped out and grabbed me immediately...SQ-80, Motif, Evolver. I saw the possibilities within a few minutes of playing them.

My Moog Voyager and dotcom modular were the best sounding and built synths I have ever used, but I sold them both.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:53 pm

I find it helps to think about it logically, ask yourself wether it's something that you've particularly wanted, if it fits in with your style of music and if you've used it enough to warrant keeping it around.

I can usually decide within the first few minutes of screwing around if something will work for me or not.

Trust me if you're not gelling with it once it's gone you won't give it a second thought, and it does get easier - it's actually liberating in a way if you have a lot of stuff taking up space - and of course it makes way for new stuff. ;)

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:08 pm

I usually use a seniority type system, last one in first one out(kiding), but usually if it is something that I can easily replace, then I sell them because in the case that I might miss them I can get another (examples, blofeld, evolver, esx, ms20) Obviously if I don't use them or I don't like them then they I try to sell them.

Solyaris

Post by Solyaris » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:04 pm

For me it comes down to if I both use it and if I enjoy it. I use my piece of c**p Roland Juno-G still all the time. I'd sell the turd if I didn't have an ethical obligation to not allow a buggy machine like that into another person's hands. It is NOT enjoyable to use. But when I need the rompler sounds it's there and at least it has more knobs than some of the current romplers. And I've actually coaxed a few sounds out of it over the years that surprised me, and I felt even more satisfied doing so given how much I despise it. I really enjoyed having the MS-10 but it smelled like cigarette smoke and I couldn't get the scent to go away so it had to go -- no regrets. I had the Doepfer Dark Energy MkI and would spend hours twisting knobs and making fart noises. I enjoyed it immensely and used it all the time. But I sold it because I realized I was spending way too much time making fart sounds -- I deeply regret selling it. It was short sighted and obviously *I* was the reason that I was only getting fart sounds out of it, not the machine. I had the Grendel Drone Commander and it was kinda neat, but a one trick pony and I didn't use it. It was fun but since I didn't use it -- no regrets... Just some thoughts on a few things that I've sold or wanted to sell.

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:40 pm

Does it get the bitches? This my only criteria... 8-)

gs

Post by gs » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:53 pm

I went through a brief period (from about 2003 to 2008) flipping used gear, trying out different stuff... during a period that I wasn't particularly musically active. But once the gigs started rolling in again, I sold off a few interesting pieces... but nothing that was absolutely required for my rig. So I went from like 8 or 9 synths back down to 3 or 4. Just the pieces that are necessary, have the best sounds, the best hardware build, the most features. Not necessarily the best resale value.

It has been a rare occurrence that I've bought a synth that I then considered to be an "absolute piece of c**p". Almost every synth had its uses and benefits. I can usually "gel" with almost anything, but for me it really comes down to: "Is this synth giving me the sounds I want, for a good price, and won't fail on me just a few months down the road". Those are the ones I usually keep. I rarely ever get an emotional attachment to a particular piece of gear. But if I have spent lots of time invested in learning the navigation interface and setting up my own sounds/splits/layers, then I am apt to hold onto that synth for a good long while.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:34 pm

- I need the cash to buy something else,
- the keyboard feel is not to my liking (DW8000)
- the sounds don't / no longer fit into my music
- poor user interface (D70, XE8)
- its functionality is limited for what I need (DX7)
- I have sampled the sounds I wanted to keep (D50, DX7, EX800)
- a missing feature annoys me (D50: can't filter samples)
- too big (E4K)
- poor sound architecture (JP50)
- bad filters (M1 & WS-SR)
Etc.
GC

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:58 am

phesago wrote:Does it get the bitches? This my only criteria... 8-)
You're a guitarist then I take it? ;)

moodorf
Gear: Little Phatty (needs repair)
Blofeld
DSI Prophet 08
Ensoniq SQ80
Pittsburgh Modular System 10
Renoise
FL

Post by moodorf » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:38 am

Whenever I sell a synth, it's usually because have gotten "bored" with it or I need the money.

I can only think of one time when I bought a synth at a store, took it home, played it at home, and hated the sound and the interface enough to return it the next day. I won't name names, but that particular synth's name rhymes with "BicroMorg"

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:46 am

KBD_TRACKER wrote:So my question is then when and how do you DECIDE that "it's over" ... ??

When it's full of bugs, and the "Company" promise an update to fix them... but don't :roll:

I love my Sledge, but Studiologic haven't fixed the problems - they announced OS V2 six months ago and still not delivered. It's rapidly creeping up the sales list.

ranzee
Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Post by ranzee » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:30 am

I haven't sold anything - call me a hoarder :/