How do you decide a synth is not for you ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: How do you decide a synth is not for you ?

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:10 am

I use them til I don't want to use them any more. If something isn't being used I sell it. I actually find it harder to get rid of effects units that synths, I have a few of those that I don't use all that much any more but I get really attached to the sounds I can get from them.

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:19 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:
phesago wrote:Does it get the bitches? This my only criteria... 8-)
You're a guitarist then I take it? ;)
No. It was kind if an ironic joke. Synths dont get the bitches :(

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:07 pm

phesago wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:
phesago wrote:Does it get the bitches? This my only criteria... 8-)
You're a guitarist then I take it? ;)
No. It was kind if an ironic joke. Synths dont get the bitches :(
They did in the 80s!
GC

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:23 pm

He means which ones do the cats sleep on...
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

corndogssg
Gear: v synth,little phatty2,jx10,kiwi106 jx305, jv2080x's8,k2600,ion,microQ,blofeld,evolver,tetra,x station,ultra nova,bass station2, jd990,minibrute
Band: sesame street gangsters

Post by corndogssg » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:45 am

if you don't like the synth.
then it's not for you.

boom, easy.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:01 pm

Its more like, ooooo but I want THAT one! So which of these do I have to sell to get it?

I do believe I'm finally at the end of that mentality though. The two I have now have been in the shop for a bit and when they come back, they're just going to have to live here. Forever.

I've tried a lot of different synths, and there's some that I just didn't like or understand enough to like. I thought I was going to be the next Eno with a DX7 - christ, how can anyone have fun with THAT thing? Thought I was going to be the next Enya with the D50...ewwwwww. Both were short lived experiences.

bathroombumming

Post by bathroombumming » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:08 pm

if i feel it doesn't fit my music i know i should sell it. but like you i also suffer from feeling to sentimental about my gear. i have a juno 60 i need to sell but i just cant seem to bring myself to go through with it. i dont need it but ive become to attached to sell it.

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:20 am

GAS for other things.

Can I do the same thing (or close enough) with something else I own and like better?

Outright and instant hate (rare these days as I do a lot of research). Anything new I try to play in a store first.

I also find it much harder to get rid of effects than synths. It takes real work to find a pedal or effects box that is completely useless.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:50 pm

I rarely sell stuff. But when I do it is either because I have something else better which eclipses it, or the unit has broken and I don't feel like fixing it.
I sold my "I'll never sell it" Musicman Sterling Bass after I got a limited edition Musicman that was just a whole other level of playability and sounds.
Likewise after I got a Roland SH09 and Moog MG1, my Korg Poly 800's were just not being used.
Strangely the same has not happened after I put a Machinedrum next to my KPR77. Something about the grating cymbals and popping handclap is simply not reproducible by other means.

AS far as auditioning synths in stores and such, I try to see what happens when you push the synth into uglier territory. Most VAs, modern and vintage analogs sound pretty similar when you are doing a simple funky filter sweep over a PWM osc or two.
I find it hard to argue otherwise ecept froma purist viewpoint.
However I find that when you start laying on the modulation in bizarre and entertaining ways, and really get goofy with the filter and the envelopes that is when you find out what a synth really sounds like.
The VAs and some newer synths just sound flat and boring when I am doing stuff like this to them. The same kind of abuse will often elicit all kinds of random fun from a good vintage synth. What I really like though, are the newer synths that seem to be more adept at being abused. Perhaps it is the popularity of eurorack stuff? But it seems like more synths, like the Minibrute, instead of just laying there in a turgid haze kind of perk up when you start poking them and prodding them. I wouldn't say they sound vintage at all. But they react better to extreme settings.
In this regard only the Minibrute and Sub37 were "buy me now" synths when I auditioned them at the Brooklyn Synth Expo. The Werkstatt was limp and boring, as well as the Novation analog and virtual analogs.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave