Stacking oscillators on the Minibrute

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
SSquirrel

Stacking oscillators on the Minibrute

Post by SSquirrel » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:17 am

So I'm considering both a Mini and a Microbrute and I'm watching AG's video of syncing the 2 together. I already have a Minitaur and was already considering using CV to run the Minitaur from whatever is going on in the Minibrute. I also have a Freqbox and I know it's possible to link them up to have the extra oscillator from the Freqbox working along with the Minibrute.

Would I be able to use a Minibrute to play both it and the Microbrute, as well as a Minitaur and Freqbox all at once if I used the mults from a CP-251? Possible to add in a Korg Volca Beats as well?

Minibrute
Microbrute
Minitaur
Freqbox
CP-251
Korg Volca Beats
Mixer (mostly to handle all the final sound)

Something like this?
Minibrute CV Pitch out to CP-251 Mult In, CP-251 Mult-Out to Microbrute Pitch In and Freqbox Freq In
Minibrute MIDI out to Minitaur (or to CV Pitch In maybe)

Yes, this would likely end up just a mess, but I'm more curious about possibilities. :) 3 osc synth w/at least a couple notes polyphony (using the note priority options on the Brutes) and matching basslines. Plus maybe some beats thrown into the mix heh

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Re: Stacking oscillators on the Minibrute

Post by Black Tomorrow » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:17 am

I don't have any of the synths you mentioned, but I'll share my experience with CV. I assume the synths mentioned each have CV/gate in AND out. Hopefully this will help.

I had a Moog Rogue, ARP Little Brother and 2 ARP Axxes. They were all connected to make a 5 oscillator beast. I used one Axxe as the master keyboard. CV out to CV in of the second Axxe. The second Axxe's CV out to the Little Brother's CV in. The Little Brother's CV out to the Rogue's CV in. One controlled all the others with no issues, and these were finicky 70's/80's analogs. I'm sure a minibrute/microbrute/minitaur/freqbox chained in a similar fashion with work like a charm. You can at least try it that way before spending cash on a CP-251. I'm not so sure about the Volca Beats. Old Korgs used Hz/Volt rather than the 1v/Octave that has become standard. I don't know if Korg ever made the switch.

Just my $0.02
You can't synthesize love

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:05 am

Black Tomorrow wrote:I don't have any of the synths you mentioned, but I'll share my experience with CV. I assume the synths mentioned each have CV/gate in AND out. Hopefully this will help.

*SNIP*
You can at least try it that way before spending cash on a CP-251. I'm not so sure about the Volca Beats. Old Korgs used Hz/Volt rather than the 1v/Octave that has become standard. I don't know if Korg ever made the switch.
That sounds like a lot of fun :) Of the group of synths, I just own the Minitaur and Freqbox at the moment. Minibrute is probably next on my list and then Microbrute if all goes well w/its big brother. The 251 I was just thinking the mults could make things easier, but maybe it wouldn't be needed. I know it's a nice piece of gear and wouldn't mind having it eventually, but nice that I can probably hold off on that part for awhile.

Found a quick video of someone syncing a microbrute and volca beats. Just plugged straight from the Sync to the CV, so guessing it's no problem. Of course, all these purchases have to get past the gf first heh. Thanks for the comments. :)

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:26 pm

It won't be polyphonic (multiple notes)...still monophonic (single note), just all the synths triggering together.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:45 pm

SSquirrel wrote:Found a quick video of someone syncing a microbrute and volca beats. Just plugged straight from the Sync to the CV, so guessing it's no problem. Of course, all these purchases have to get past the gf first heh. Thanks for the comments.
The video may be a little misleading. Not a big issue, but you will have to make sure you change some settings via the microbrute software before you plug and play. When I first tried it, it just triggered the gate of the microbrute, so it would trigger notes, not the sequencer. You have to change the gate setting to clock and also make sure the sequencer is at the right resolution. The only korg issue is the same issue you run into clocking something (i.e. Roland arpeggiators) from Korg gear. The Korg is running at twice the clock speed as the other piece of gear. This is true also of the Volca Beats-->Microbrute. Anyway, you just need to change the sequencer setting in the software, so make sure you have the right USB cable.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:12 pm

meatballfulton wrote:It won't be polyphonic (multiple notes)...still monophonic (single note), just all the synths triggering together.
In AG's video, he sets the note priority for the Minibrute to lower and the Microbrute to higher and uses the pairing as a duophonic synth. That was what I was referring to more than anything else.

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:32 am

Come on Arturia! Give people what they want! A two oscillator Brute.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:40 pm

Just be aware that you will likely get some voltage droop (and subsequent detuning) when you start multing pitch CV's.

I do it anyway (using Minibrute pitch CV out to control 2 different modular oscillators), and I've never found it un-useable. But multing a pitch CV to 3 or 4 places could lead to more noticeable not-quite-1V/Octave-ness.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:58 am

pricklyrobot wrote:Just be aware that you will likely get some voltage droop (and subsequent detuning) when you start multing pitch CV's.

I do it anyway (using Minibrute pitch CV out to control 2 different modular oscillators), and I've never found it un-useable. But multing a pitch CV to 3 or 4 places could lead to more noticeable not-quite-1V/Octave-ness.
You mean phatness and analogue warmth? ;)

ranzee
Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Post by ranzee » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:11 am

You can achieve polyphony in a way if you use something like MIDIPal from Mutable Instruments. I have also tried using the Novation Bass Station 2 to do this with some success, there's posts in this forum (or Google for other forums) with instructions on this. If I get a chance I'll dig them up for you.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:57 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
pricklyrobot wrote:Just be aware that you will likely get some voltage droop (and subsequent detuning) when you start multing pitch CV's.

You mean phatness and analogue warmth? ;)
Yep, combined with laziness and my tin ear, it's an unstoppable powerhouse of warbly "good-enough-ness"!;)
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Ollimac73
Gear: Moog Sub Phatty, MFB Tanzbar, Ableton Live 9 Suite + Push

Post by Ollimac73 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:38 pm

That is what I was looking :D
I am in the process to get a bundle with Waldorf Streichfett, Arturia Microbrute/Beatsteps, Korg Volca Beats :shock:

Now, I d need some advice how to stack them as well using the Sub Phatty :oops:

Arturia Beatsteps ----midi--> Waldorf Streichfett,
Subphatty ----midi--> Microbrute
Korg volca beats ----sync in---cv gate out to Microbrute
OR

:roll:

Any advice on that as well?

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:46 pm

Just for fun I decided to map out all the inputs and outputs of my stuff. Not counting the 106 that needs work or the JX-8P as I don't have space for them right now.

Microbrute SE
CV In: 1/8"
Gate
Metal
Pitch
Filter
Saw
PWM
Sub

CV Out: 1/8"
Pitch
Gate
ENV
LFO

1/4" Audio In
1/4" Audio Out

MIDI IN

USB MIDI

Minitaur: (all 1/4")
Audio In
Audio Out

CV:
Pitch In
Filter In
Volume In
Gate In

MIDI In

USB MIDI

MF-107 Freqbox
Audio In
Audio Out
ENV Out
OSC Out

CV IN: 1/4"
Freq
Wave
Env Amt
FM Amt
Mix

MF-102 Ring Modulator
Audio In
Audio Out
LFO Out
Carrier IN
Carrier Out

CV In: 1/4"
Rate
Amount
Mix
Freq

Volca Bass
1/8" Audio Out
Sync In
Sync Out

Volca Beats
1/8" Audio Out
Sync In
Sync Out

Mackie 12FX12

Everything above is mono output, so I can separate out all of the different audio lines and have room to still plug in a guitar or bass if I wanted. Trying to decide where to start patching things is going to be interesting.